Tools

Buff and Lion oil painting print
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Kunhert has adopted the body of a stud Sevilla Bull and crowned its head with Buffalo horns. Big Grin

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only person who thought that. I know that Kunhert is considered one of the greats, but the buffalo just has the overgrown, overly long look of a angus bull.

We all see things differently, but to my eye everything is wrong with kunhert’s buffalo: the head is held too high, the neck is too thick, chest is too deep, the legs are too short, the belly is too narrow in relation to the shoulders and hind quarters.

But if Kunhert were here I would keep my opinion to myself.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

What your doing is great on many fronts. Don't be discouraged by one 'small' critic the penis gallery. Wink Most importantly don't get caught up in comparisons with other artists. There's plenty of room for everybody with your kind of talent. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Mostly Kuhnert sketched in black and white.

Comment: That is a misinformation.
Kuhnert sketched in oil paint as much as pencil. Here is one of them, which "speaks" to me, though I am not selling or buying anything:

I rarely do nowadays as the color oil sketches sell well in large print format.

Great drawing is the foundational gift of all great painters, many modern artists not included.

Kuhnert signed print of a pencil drawing sells for $3,000 each.

Those few surviving "black & white" prints were published in the last few years of Kuhnert's life,
at the height of his fame as a painter. They were small editions of 60 to 100 in number.
WWI killed his plans for a fourth expedition to Africa.
WWII wiped away over 4000 of his estimated 5500 works.
He used pencil and oil in the field, working plein air.
He worked almost exclusively in oil, IN COLOR, in his studio.
He could complete a major painting in 4 days.

My prints will be a few hundred dollars in comparison.
Whatever the market will bear.
He is considered a master and I am not. Nor am I in his league.
But you repeat yourself.

That buffalo doodle by fairgame looks at me like patrons owe money to fairgame.
tu2
Rip ...

I repeat most of Kuhnert's sketches were monotone. Many of his pencil sketches in print have not sold but his large colorwork is extremely desirable.

It has been my experience that paint sketches outsell drawings.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fairgame,

Above appears to be a nice little detail from a larger painting.
Who did it and would the rest of the painting be available for view somehow ?
It is surely not "monochrome."
Show us where we can see a monochrome oil sketch by Kuhnert, please.
The vast majority of his work was certainly not monochrome.
He was quite adventurous with color, like with the lavender earth of Tanzania:

Above looks like it was composed from a black&white photograph with color added.
Kuhnert would probably laugh at anyone saying his cape buffalo in their prime looked like domestic cattle.
Maybe the cape buffalo were fatter before WWI ?
Or maybe that was just an artistic recollection of majesty and power unaided by photograph.
If the latter, I like it.
He painted them skinnier too,
he painted them as a pair battling for the herd,
and as dagga boys, etc.
OK, this one needs to have its horns broomed a bit, shame on the artist:

Above is huge, Lone Cape Buffalo, 57" x 114", oil on canvas, undated.

Below is a tiny painting of sketch size, The Killer and the Killed, 12" x 20", oil on canvas, undated:

I am looking high and low for the "monochrome sketches" of Wilhelm Kuhnert in oil paint.
Are you confusing the prints of etchings and engravings of his late life for oil sketches ?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
fairgame,

Above appears to be a nice little detail from a larger painting.
Who did it and would the rest of the painting be available for view somehow ?
It is surely not "monochrome."
Show us where we can see a monochrome oil sketch by Kuhnert, please.
The vast majority of his work was certainly not monochrome.
He was quite adventurous with color, like with the lavender earth of Tanzania:

Above looks like it was composed from a black&white photograph with color added.
Kuhnert would probably laugh at anyone saying his cape buffalo in their prime looked like domestic cattle.
Maybe the cape buffalo were fatter before WWI ?
Or maybe that was just an artistic recollection of majesty and power unaided by photograph.
If the latter, I like it.
He painted them skinnier too,
he painted them as a pair battling for the herd,
and as dagga boys, etc.
OK, this one needs to have its horns broomed a bit, shame on the artist:

Above is huge, Lone Cape Buffalo, 57" x 114", oil on canvas, undated.

Below is a tiny painting of sketch size, The Killer and the Killed, 12" x 20", oil on canvas, undated:

I am looking high and low for the "monochrome sketches" of Wilhelm Kuhnert in oil paint.
Are you confusing the prints of etchings and engravings of his late life for oil sketches ?

RIP,

I am a Bachelor of Art and received my Honors many years ago. I studied Kuhnert but not so much his history but his paintings, compositions, and use of media. Much that I tried in the past I could never match the quality of his works and returned to my own place and style. Kuhnert was a prolific painter and his works very substantial. I like you feel that he will never be equaled. Many of his painted Lions were captive beasts and hence the exaggerated manes and clean physical features. Another famous artist David Sheppard for the life of him could not paint Lions but was more noted for his elephant portraits. Still, Kuhnert outdid him every time hence his title of Master. You made reference to his lavender earth - an exceptional color that did not exist. Masterly is it not?

The small detail of the buffalo sketch I posted was mine from the past and I appreciate the kind comment.

Sure his Buffalo were exaggerated and this was simply for effect. To maximize the brutality of the beast.

I am not in competition with Kuhnert but after a 20-year break, I need to paint, use my qualification to survive this year and possibly the next. To be honest it does not pay me to create large finished compositions as I am an unknown and the time needed does not justify the income. However, in the past, my color sketches prior to larger works sold well and this is where I will concentrate for now.

Note one of the largest collections of Kuhnert's work is in America I believe and you would do well to visit it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
fairgame, you are far too easy on our esteemed critic. But I commend you on your easy going nature, at least in this instance.

Remember, this is the same esteemed genius who claimed to be an expert on shooting big game off of shooting sticks.

Shooting Sticks Expert

Then wounded and lost a Cape buffalo in Tanzania (on a safari with Saeed) at long range.

Then blamed his PH, the late and great Paul Olivier, no less, for "making" him take the shot.

Then blamed Paul's shooting sticks for the miss, with many photos showing how bad they were.

Wounded and Lost Buffalo

Of course, they were fine. Not perfect, but perfectly adequate to the task.

Of course, he should have admitted that he had no clue as to how properly to use the sticks, and taken the blame himself.

Even shootaway managed to do that, after he shot (and killed, not wounded) his cow buffalo.

Again, Andrew, congrats on your modesty and self-restraint, character traits so completely lacking in our esteemed expert.

Can't wait until your prints become available.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MR,

Thanks.
Great to relive the misadventure.
I have finally responded to the great advise from Pete E:

quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
RIP,

Sorry to hear about the woulded/lost buff, but I think Gerard nailed the likely cause ie a deflection off the breast bone in the brisket area.

Re the sticks, I have to say the ones used looked pretty piss poor; personally I'd have been tempted to ditch that third flapping leg and use it as a bipod..

Looking at the pic of you holding the rifle in the sticks, one suggestion I have is to get the fore end further forward in the V...The point of support acts like a pivot, and further ahead of that pivot the muzzle is, the more it tends to swing about...In effect, a small movement of the stock at the shoulder is "amplified" at the muzzle.

I use tall telescopic bipod sticks for all my deer stalking and the above tip made a vast improvement in the accuracy I could achieve using them..

Regards,

Peter

Gotta say Paul was so impressed with my one-shot kill at closer range, on the first buffalo that he thought I could shoot running buffalo at 150 yards through the mopane thickets.
I was a starstruck kid.
The PH told me to shoot.
I should have reconsidered that suggestion.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh BOO HOO ...
The anus analogy is perfect for the artist who craps on a canvas.
Yes, I wrote that. In person I would have said the artist is the asshole.

Take your small minded , selfish bullshit somewhere else. Your openly hostile attitude sucks and is not appreciated by most normal people.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Andrew,

What your doing is great on many fronts. Don't be discouraged by one 'small' critic the penis gallery. Wink Most importantly don't get caught up in comparisons with other artists. There's plenty of room for everybody with your kind of talent. tu2

Amen.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve416:
quote:
Oh BOO HOO ...
The anus analogy is perfect for the artist who craps on a canvas.
Yes, I wrote that. In person I would have said the artist is the asshole.

Take your small minded , selfish bullshit somewhere else. Your openly hostile attitude sucks and is not appreciated by most normal people.

tu2

Posts: 10155 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now have my bona fides as "art critic."
Will add it to my curriculum vitae.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this jackass keeps doubling down.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
If you doubling down as in 2 x 0 = a bigger zero , you are correct....

I never understand “critics”. Why waste the effort just to make yourself look bigger or whatever.

I listen to critics of NFL players or college players and want to vomit. I played the game at a high level, the talent out there is amazing...and to listen to some wannabe point out fault or assign blame when the critic has or had no talent is the highest form of hypocracy.

You rarely see ex-real players criticize the player.

Same goes for art or whatever.

I have no idea who RIP is but he would be a bit unpleasant to try please or be around if the attitude and personality shown here is what he/she is really like. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10155 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now have my bona fides as "art critic."
Will add it to my curriculum vitae.
tu2
Rip ...

Not needed, we all see you pretty clearly for the “talent” you are displaying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kunhert is unmatched as an artist. His paintings sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars and he is widely considered to be a master. His paintings of Lions are the finest the world has ever seen.

Yes, I have a talent and a BA Honors in Art. I simply have had to fall back on this qualification to survive this year.

Sure RIP does not like my work but the assassination on my character is uncalled for.

Art truly is in the eye of the beholder and indeed there are many contemporaries that I simply dislike. They are little more than New York socialites.

I have just been awarded another 120,000 acres of communal land across the river to reclaim and develop. All my money is going into wild Africa (much to the disdain of my wife) and it always will. Those who support me with the purchases of a print will have invested in Africa yet again.

These oil sketches are simply my way of rejuvenating my abandoned talent and I am happy the way that I have started. In another month or so I hope to produce larger paintings depicting compositions of animals in landscapes or maybe simply the landscapes that we all desire.

RIP your abstract attention has made my project a substantial amount of money in the last 24 hours and I thank you for that.

Fairgame 100% let him keep posting you keep counting your money. One may think this may have been a planted dig as you are a master advertiser, great PH, doing good things for conservation and a pretty talented artists.
Either way I am fine.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the subject, being art or dung beetles, in my opinion Rip has successfully let his alligator mouth overload his humming bird ass.

All art forms are legit, to someone, and nobody has the right to tell others what is art, and what is not. The key is, if you don't like something you simply are not required to buy it, but that has nothing to do with the "MY OPINION IS THE FINAL SAY!" attitude.
…......……...…...…...……….. 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
quote:
Kunhert is unmatched as an artist. His paintings sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars and he is widely considered to be a master. His paintings of Lions are the finest the world has ever seen.

Yes, I have a talent and a BA Honors in Art. I simply have had to fall back on this qualification to survive this year.

Sure RIP does not like my work but the assassination on my character is uncalled for.

Art truly is in the eye of the beholder and indeed there are many contemporaries that I simply dislike. They are little more than New York socialites.

I have just been awarded another 120,000 acres of communal land across the river to reclaim and develop. All my money is going into wild Africa (much to the disdain of my wife) and it always will. Those who support me with the purchases of a print will have invested in Africa yet again.

These oil sketches are simply my way of rejuvenating my abandoned talent and I am happy the way that I have started. In another month or so I hope to produce larger paintings depicting compositions of animals in landscapes or maybe simply the landscapes that we all desire.

RIP your abstract attention has made my project a substantial amount of money in the last 24 hours and I thank you for that.

Fairgame 100% let him keep posting you keep counting your money. One may think this may have been a planted dig as you are a master advertiser, great PH, doing good things for conservation and a pretty talented artists.
Either way I am fine.

Never conversed with the bloke in my life!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
animal

WHAT A DICK!

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ah Idaho Sharpshooter.

Lying, stealing, bullshit artist, glad he is gone. If he is dead, I hope his widow has found a younger, richer guy with a bigger ....... pension!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Ah Idaho Sharpshooter.

Lying, stealing, bullshit artist, glad he is gone. If he is dead, I hope his widow has found a younger, richer guy with a bigger ....... pension!

yuck

Picture of Moneypenny
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Andrew, please put Lindy and me down for a print of your final rendering of that magnificent buff, or the original, if still available.

It has a power lost on and surpassing the realists. It captures the movement, savagery, and full presence of the real beast, when seen up close and in the flesh.

As for the boorish and intruding critic on this thread, we should all ignore and stop reading his offensive taunts. There is no excuse for such behavior.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Currently, I am negotiating a limited edition signed print run of 250 of the highest quality and the prints will come with a certificate of authenticity.

Richard Cheatham of DSC has very kindly offered to market the prints and maybe put these original works on an online auction.

The response from the American hunters has been unbelievable and yet again they have stepped up to the cause.

I will sign the print with a personnel message for a friend.

Great sketches Fairgame, I’d be interested to see more of your finished pieces, and some landscapes. Do you paint other animals? I’d happily purchase to support the cause if you ever do a print run for shipping to other countries outside of USA?

Tough times for all in this game right now. Everyone has to pivot. Good on you for drawing on your talents and being productive in what is a most uncertain time. Anyway you can keep working for conservation and wildlife right now is surely a good thing.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moneypenny:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Andrew, please put Lindy and me down for a print of your final rendering of that magnificent buff, or the original, if still available.

It has a power lost on and surpassing the realists. It captures the movement, savagery, and full presence of the real beast, when seen up close and in the flesh.

As for the boorish and intruding critic on this thread, we should all ignore and stop reading his offensive taunts. There is no excuse for such behavior.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Currently, I am negotiating a limited edition signed print run of 250 of the highest quality and the prints will come with a certificate of authenticity.

Richard Cheatham of DSC has very kindly offered to market the prints and maybe put these original works on an online auction.

The response from the American hunters has been unbelievable and yet again they have stepped up to the cause.

I will sign the print with a personnel message for a friend.

Great sketches Fairgame, I’d be interested to see more of your finished pieces, and some landscapes. Do you paint other animals? I’d happily purchase to support the cause if you ever do a print run for shipping to other countries outside of USA?

Tough times for all in this game right now. Everyone has to pivot. Good on you for drawing on your talents and being productive in what is a most uncertain time. Anyway you can keep working for conservation and wildlife right now is surely a good thing.

Thank you and in the past, I have painted a wide range of subjects including portriature.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal