Find
Notify
Tools

Namibian Kudu
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'll be hunting leopard and plains game for 10 days in the Omaruru area of Namibia with Otjandue Safaris this May. This is the same area as the Erindi Ranch. This area is known to produce some large Greater Kudu. While I'll listen to my PH, do you believe that I should hold out for a 55" or greater bull?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I have hunted in the Omaruru area has have a few folks I have gotten to know. A 55" kudu is an excellent trophy where most 53" will make the Namibian gold medal level. A 53.5" kudu I took in 2001 was the biggest any of us have taken. Though through an act of sheer stupidity in September 2002 I let a approximate 57" walk. I was on a budget and I had taken the 53.5" the previous year and as my wife and I sat at the waterhole... (waiting for a monster warty) in he came about 8:30 in the morning. When we got back to the ranch house we showed the video to the PH/owner and his jaw dropped. I knew right there that I goofed. Namibians are not easily impressed or prone to show strong emotion. We compared the video to the pictures of measured kudu he had on his wall and approximated (I believe fairly accurately) the bull between 57-58". Oh, well. Maybe next time. So they are there. In fact there were a couple of 60" taken from this ranch in prior years.

BTW we hunted a ranch about 40km west of Omaruru among other ranches in the area. On most of these ranches there is only sheep fence and the kudu are pretty much free range, though the ranchers try to keep them there by providing water and salt. Other then that they are free to roam.

I would recommend looking the situation over for the first couple of days. If the bulls seem plentiful you may hold out longer, but if the wind picks up or it rains then they will hole up and you will not see anything for that day and possilby the next. So its completely up to you. If you have other game on your wish list and a good trophy appears take it. You can chase kudu for days and not be able to find the one you want and in the mean time, your days have slipped away. Good luck and if you have other questions concerning this area, just ask.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to take a 55 1/2 in. kudu in Namibia this past May. I think that's still a lofty goal unless you already have one. I'm not familiar with the area you're speaking of, I was hunting in the general area of Okahandja.(I wouldn't bet I spelled that one right) I did however see another that was very close to the same size, it could have been a bit larger or smaller, just don't have the experience to tell. I'd sure hate to come back from Africa without a nice representative bull, since they make such a beautiful trophy.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I have hunted the Omaruru area and even though I know of a 64 incher that came from there I think you should be happy with a kudu over 50" that has the horn configuration that looks good to you.

Like your previous advise has stated look things over once you are on the ground and talk with the PH. You can't shoot a 55" plus if the chances are zero of seeing one.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12872 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Firstly, one can bump into a monster kudu anywhere in Namibia but, from a study on kudu genetics I have read, the best kudu are from the Omaruru area and the Erindi lands are well placed. Along the road from Okahandra to Swakopmund, from Wilhelmstal east to Karibib, north to Kalkfeld the genetics have held, through drought and disease, for decades. The next No. 2 Kudu was taken near Okahandra, recently. Otjandaue is Farm #70 and the Erindi is adjacent to its' southeast border. I would plan on taking two kudu bulls, the first 54"+ bull and then hope to better it. You'll be in a top area but I'm not certain how good the rains have been 2002, 2003.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu has offered good advice regarding the possibility of taking 2 Kudu.

When I worked for Jan Oelofse we had Erindi as one of our concessions and I can attest to the trophy quality of Kudu there. It is possible to hold out for a 55" and possibly bag one however as one of the other posters mentioned you have to decide on wether you want to return home without a Kudu or a representative. I would go as far as to say that you can expect to get something around 50 and over on a 10 day hunt. Good luck and I hope you get what you're looking for.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

That particular area of Namibia is well known for exceptional kudu, but I would be leary about looking for an animal over an arbitrary size. I've chased enough kudu to know that nothing is a certainty, and that if you hold out, often you go home empty handed. If that is ok with you, by all means, hold out for the size you want.

What is important to me is to find a kudu that gives me a good hunt and is visually attractive. Many kudu that "only" go 50-52" look fantastic and are such a challenge to hunt.

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy Namibia.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted on the Sohrada Ranch near there this summer and got a 59" bull. Saw a 50"+ with a broken horn. There are big ones there but that is a big country. Good luck.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote