Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do in cape town.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of remington270
posted
Will be spending about a week in capetown.
looking at things to do in the area.

Afterwards will be traveling up the coast to PE.
Also what attractions are along the way.

regards andre

New staduim at green point capetown

Posts: 31 | Location: New zealand | Registered: 15 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Cape Town:

1. Cape Point - don't feed the baboons
2. Cecil Rhodes Memorial
3. Botanical Gardens
4. Table Mountain
5. Houses of Parliament
6. Sunrise at Llandudno followed by breakfast.

Near Cape Town:

1. Stellenbosch - wineries and college town
2. Cape Aghulas (actually the southernmost point of Africa, not Cape Point)

3. en route to PE, visit Oudshoorn (Ostrich Farms ... a little off the beaten track but where else are you going to ride an Ostrich?). Hermanus is a nice resort town. Knysna...the Heads and the town. Plettenberg Bay .. the prettiest (and most expensive) piece of beach real estate in Africa....walk to the point on Robberg peninsula ... or at least walk Robberg Beach. Stop for a meal at Storm's River mouth. Visit the "big tree" in the same vicinity.

Not sure how much time you have for this portion of your trip. Take at least a week to do it ....

... and one final point, the weather in that part of the world is wonderful in summer, but it is wet in winter. Plan accordingly.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Head out around Camps Bay road going south on the weekend and there are good markets by the side of the road. Take small notes to bargain with.

Helicopter tours around Table Mountain are a great way to orientate yourself and spot whales.

If the weather is clear get up to the top of Table Mountain ASAP as it has the ability to be fog/cloud covered a lot of the time. Don't plan to do it 'on Thursday'. The weather doesn't work like that.

Depends where you are staying but the B&B's are all hooked up to the info/tourist grapevine.

Camps Bay has some lovely restaurants overlooking the beach front.

We bypassed Stellenbosch last trip and went to the wineries in Franschoek which are less congested. I'd recommend the Moreson Pinotage if you are looking for some nice South African red to take home.

Car hire and drive is dead easy and cheaper if you book once there. They deliver and pick up at your accomodation.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you're a dog man, you might like to take a look at the Just Nuisance memorial in Simonstown. You could probably buy a copy of the book there as well.

In case you don't know who Just Nuisance was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Nuisance

http://www.simonstown.com/tour...uisance/nuisance.htm

http://www.albatrosshouse.co.za/nuisance.html

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lots of homemade wine... Quite tasty I must admit...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tour the wine country- hire a driver so you can taste at will.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the above is great advice. I would also suggest hiring a driver for a tour of the Cape, in addition to a tour of the wine country. There are many fine eateries in the area and they do change. Don't be afraid to ask a local for a "unique" favorite. The seafood is outstanding!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The favorite place my wife enjoyed was going to Moja in Stellenbosch. She still taks about it.
Go at the end of the day and stay and have dinner. It has outdoor themed bars and couches set up fot conversation before your meal. They have outdoor decks in trees along with a large tent set up for eating. They give you blankets to keep you warm and have heaters set up as well to keep you comfortable. Down the long side of the circus style tent they are preparing food and you just pick out anything you want. You will find all kinds of native dishes. Entertainment in the form of singing and native dance will be going on at times while you eat. We did this on the last night in Africa and was a perfect send off. You will not be dissapointed

We did not get to see the Addo Elephant Park but I woul have liked to. This may be something to see as well on the way to PE.

Posts: 10 | Location: texas | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
If you get a tour guide for the Cape trip, ask your driver to stop in Simonstown for lunch at the "Salty Sea Dog". They serve hands down the best fish and chips I have ever had. I believe the fish used was Kingclip. There is also a colony of African Jackass Penguins right outside of town.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharks, don't forget the sharks.

Ever see Air Jaws on discovery channel? They filmed it there. We went out and I got a cool photo of a shark jumping out of the water after a seal decoy. The water was too rough to do the cage diving. I forget the company name, but the owners were Chris and Monique Fallows. I can email the photo to someone if somebody wants to post it.

We had scheduled a whale watching tour that got canceled due to the rough weather and so we did the "baboon matters" tour where basically they take you out to a local baboon troop and you watch them. They get quite close - a baby one pulled my wife's hair which was memorable. No South African will understand why anyone would want to do this though.

The penguins in Simon's Town were one of the highlights for my wife - my refrigerator is festooned with penquin stuff still.

I'd also recommend a guide - we used Tours & Trails and were assigned a guy by the name of Thomas. He was excellent - get him if you can.

I found the city part of Cape Town to be just another city, but that is my opinion of all cities.

Posts: 79 | Location: Anchorage | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will doing the same thing as Remington270, but in November.
Could I drive CapeTown to PE in two days and where should I stop overnight which would be half way?
I will be busy in CT, but my wife will take the recommended wine tours, etc.
Once we get to PE I will be hunting with Blaukraantz. What does PE offer for diversions?
Thanks.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have used Somac tours twice, in CT and PE. We took and garden tour from PE to CT. It was interesting and fun. Well worth the cost. You will visit, see and do things you would never find on your own, like the diamond exchange, one of my wifes favorites. The guides are very knowledgeable and fun. We had Fred Rousso And Charl (can't remember his last name), both were extremely knowledgeable and fun. We hired them for about 3 days each time. Have them give you the tours first then you will know what you want to do on your own, because they will have alot of suggestions.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of remington270
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the input and ideas guys.

Posts: 31 | Location: New zealand | Registered: 15 April 2009Reply With Quote