THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Canada to Zimbabwe Flights and Firearms
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada to Zimbabwe Flights and Firearms
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Traveling to Zim with my rifle from Canada - just wanting to solicit any info and "do's and don'ts". Can anyone suggest an itinerary/route that will provide the best chance of my firearm/ammuntion arriving on time? I would also appreciate any airlines or cities to stay away from.

As I understand it the US requires excessive paper work to transit inside their borders.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you are Canadian you cant bring your firearms legally in Zimbabwe.

http://www.international.gc.ca...mbabwe.aspx?lang=eng

Posts: 1739 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Try EMIRATES.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know there was a prohibition on Canadians bringing sporting firearms to Zimbabwe, but that can be avoided by having one ticket Canada-South Africa round trip and yet another SA-Zim.

Emirates offer great service, and SAA between South Africa and Zim. The other option is Comair, but that's a tentacle of BA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Comair doesn't carry firearms on any of their routes.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramblinman,

You will also have to get a export permit to export your gun out of Canada. There is no problem getting out of Canada, but when you get back, some custom workers ask if you have it. To apply you will have to provide a letter of invitation, flight itinerary,gun make model, how much ammo.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
The process has changed a little since this post but it will help get you through it. A search in the Canadian section will help you also

Temporary export permit

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thx everyone for the info. This administration to bring the rifle for the hunt is painful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted overseas since 1988, going to Zim.,S.A.,Argentina. and N.Z., going through Europe is a pain. If you go through London to zim they will seize your guns and you'll not get them back(sanctions against Mugabe)Going through Amsterdam, you need a permit even if you don't take custody of your gun. The rules change daily without notice it seems and never in your favor.
In Argentina, N.Z. and Zim the last time I used a gun from the outfitter. If you want to take a side trip going to or on the way home you are hooped if you have a gun. They are an albatross around your neck believe me. Find out what your outfitter can provide and go with that, you won't regret it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to South Africa from Canada, and back, with a rifle has been straight forward for me, but there are lots of forms to fill out six weeks ahead of time. About 10 pages for Canada and the same for South Africa. The Canadian bureaucrats have been very helpful.

I fly Air Canada and SAA, through London, and there have been no problems. I never touch/see my gun case. Africa Sky picks me up in Tambo airport, collects my gun and takes to the guesthouse. I have no experience with taking a firarm to Zimbabwe.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
As said earlier, you will not get a temporary export permit from the Canadian government to Zim. No extra paperwork flying through the U.S. if guns remain in transit.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
As said earlier, you will not get a temporary export permit from the Canadian government to Zim. No extra paperwork flying through the U.S. if guns remain in transit.

This you need an invite form the outfitter to get the permit, you also need your flight itinerary, you would have to get an invite from a RSA outfitter to claim you are going to RSA. Good luck with that.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem taking a fire arm into Zimbabwe from Zimbabwe stand point Just fill out 3 copies of their permit

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Going to South Africa from Canada, and back, with a rifle has been straight forward for me, but there are lots of forms to fill out six weeks ahead of time. About 10 pages for Canada and the same for South Africa. The Canadian bureaucrats have been very helpful.

I fly Air Canada and SAA, through London, and there have been no problems. I never touch/see my gun case. Africa Sky picks me up in Tambo airport, collects my gun and takes to the guesthouse. I have no experience with taking a firarm to Zimbabwe.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shotgun46, Good post. I was wondering about that.
Is this what you mean:?

First a Canadian gets his rifle into South Africa. That is no problem.

Second, When he gets into South Africa he applies from South Africa to take it into Zim. Canada customs never has to hear about it. ( Would probably have forms to fill out for both South Afrcia and Zim.)
Do you think that I have this right. Thanks for yur help, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fly Air Canada and SAA, through London, and there have been no problems. I never touch/see my gun case.

If you can, please avoid London (or any other European city), as they are generally very anti-gun. My friends visiting me from Ontario to England have had a problem nearly every trip. And Air Canada are known to be generally 'anti-gun', according to my Canadian friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found Air Canada and London to be no problem. Canada to SA.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found Air Canada and London to be no problem. Canada to SA.

Glad you had good experiences. Unfortunately some others haven't eg http://forums.accuratereloadin...7621043/m/7351022812. But I guess no airline is perfect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nickh, That is good news! Thanks Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PD999,
Air Canada is a not nice in any respect, and they do charge extra. It is official they are not liked.
I don't see any anti gun behaviour, however, in the post. Just people whining in general.

I also read comments on AR about London being anti-gun. I think these are just rumours. First of all the gun never surfaces at Heathrow. It just goes through to JB. Heathrow is known for food poisoning but not for anti gun policies. I have had no problem, and have made phone inquiries. There are no boogy men at Heathrow. Brian

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We fly through London all the time on the way to Africa....seamless so far.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thx everyone for the info - thinking out load and in terms of malicious behaviour, any mishevious behaviour or criminal-intent should be discouraged by close circuit cameras. I can only assume that any first world and modern airport would have significant electronic surveilllance. I hope that this is keeping the baggage handling staff honest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great thing: in the US we have a Delta flight straight thru to Jo-Burg. From there it is an hour to Zim.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't count on baggage staff being honest, in the wink of an eye it can get on the wrong conveyer belt and off to a new destination.

posted Hide Post
Have any Canadians transited thru the USA with hunting rifles? If so any problems?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblinman:
Have any Canadians transited thru the USA with hunting rifles? If so any problems?

have form 6 from batf approved and an hunting license from the state you are transiting just in case you need to collect your rifles despite being in transit ....

Posts: 1739 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - looks I will be transiting thru Seattle and flying Emirates - all the way to JB. Now to sort out out the US portion ...

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

have form 6 from batf approved and an hunting license from the state you are transiting just in case you need to collect your rifles despite being in transit ....[/QUOTE]

Medved - Am I right to say that as long as I am in transit? No paper work required?

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
The hunting licence is no longer a requirement for the form 6 even though it is still in the paperwork. Even transiting you need the form 6. Also don't forget the Dubai police notification that Emirates handles on your behalf.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if for any reason you need to collect your guns and do not have the batf form 6 filled and approved how will you be able to collect them ...

hunting license is no more a requirement that is true but again question by custom agents you will need to explain why the guns are in US ....

posted Hide Post
Check this out https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe...R1WG0%3D/suggested/1

If I am reading this right nothing required now - it looks like it was recently updated.

"Transiting" Includes driving thru the US

I would hate to misinterpret this and need a Form when you don't have one. I will call ATF and update soonest!

Also, I suspect I would not come in to contact with my rifles as they would and be handled by airport staff the whole time??? i.e.: if not in the hold of the aircraft - being handled by Airport staff and out of my possession. In theory I should not lay hands on the rifle until I arrive in SA

**** Update: spoke with three different people and got 3 different answers. The best answer was " you don't need any paper work but its good to have the Form 6 " ***

posted Hide Post
*** Update *****

I will keep this updated as reference for the next hunter with a similar itinerary as mine.

I just spoke with Supervisor Sted at Sea Tac Customs 1 206 901 3200. He assures me that a Canadian does not require any paperwork or administration to transit only the USA via Air. It sounds as though that there was a recent change specific to Canadians. Also he was adamant to use a program called Mobile Passport Control to move thru customs faster.

Next Step Dubai

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great news.

but hope for you, you do not have to do an overnight and collecting your firearms in USA ....

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The Form 6N1A is a bit of false insurance in some ways as it only applies to those hunting or going to a sanctioned shooting event so even if required to take possession of your firearms because of a cancelled flight, you would not be meeting the requirements of the 6N1A so technically you'd be breaking the law. I still get one but the info you get is correct that you don't need it. With or without a 6N1A, I would not take possession of my firearms in the U.S. if a flight is delayed without first consulting with customs. Chances are they will transit fine but it's good advice to remember. Have you dealt with the temporary export issue from Canada as that could cause major issues coming home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,

where did i say to avoid any or breaking laws? ...

i said that the batf form will help the transit while dealing with us customs ...

i was the first to say that legally a Canadian cant bring a firearm in Zim the rest is history ...

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
TJ,

where did i say to avoid any or breaking laws? ...

i said that the batf form will help the transit while dealing with us customs ...

i was the first to say that legally a Canadian cant bring a firearm in Zim the rest is history ...

I don't recall saying you said anything........

posted Hide Post
working on the Canada export piece now

posted Hide Post
Sheep,

Why do you get the 6N1A if you don't need it?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sheep,

It's free and somehow it's seems like cheap insurance even though it really may not be. Can't hurt to have it I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sheep,

i will explain you something on that form not needed.

if you look the Yukon map there is a road that permits us to go across Alaska from beaver creek and coming back with Dawson city as the goal and im just transiting .... i never tried without the form as i wont be able to do it ...so think the way you want at the end you will be alone with the US custom officers not me nor TJ ... you ...

one week to get it and by email.

let us know how the Canadians let you have the zim authorisation?

posted Hide Post
Spoke with Export people today who made it Crystal Clear - any Canadian exporting a firearm or munitions in to Zim is committing an offence killpc .... But they did say SA was not a problem :cool