THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    We’re off to Tanzania in the morning...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We’re off to Tanzania in the morning...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
We depart tomorrow for my son’s first buffalo hunt. We’ve got an almost 2 day layover in Dubai before flying to Arusha on the 27th. That’s my sons birthday, so it’ll be a great way to celebrate turning 32. Then 2 days in Tarangire Park to look at buffalo before we charter out to Maswa for ten days. We’ll be with Mike Fell in Maswa North and Mike’s very optimistic about the hunting right now. He messaged me on WhatsApp this morning, saying he saw “hundreds and hundreds of buffalo today, with many coming out of the park now that the migration has moved on.” He thinks my son’s prospects for a couple really good bulls are excellent.

This is Mike’s last safari of the season in Tanzania and he told us it could be wet and muddy but the hunting should be excellent. He’s right about the weather forecast as it’s been raining like mad and the forecast calls for rain about half of the days we are there. Sounds like it’s gonna be a muddy mess but we’re going to have a fantastic time nonetheless.

I’ll post a report upon our return.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and your son, Dan! tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is Mike’s last safari of the season in Tanzania and he told us it could be wet and muddy but the hunting should be excellent.

The rains are upon us and it will most very likely be wet and muddy - that is what brings on the start of the migration and a glorious opportunity for some superb Buffalo.

Just keep fingers crossed that it doesn't get too wet as even walking will be difficult. Big Grin

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Good luck my friend!...Safe travels.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good hunting to you and your son!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good luck. It's always a special trip when your kids can go along and participate.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Good luck and safe travels.

Let me know if you see any Robert’s Gazelles there. Apparently late, late season is the only time they’re there.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to your son and good hunting!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip.

Shoot the one your PH Tells you to shoot and all should be fine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Best of luck and travel safe. Send me pix!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and safe travels. Mike will take good care of you!

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s very exciting, best of luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck this one sounds like it's gonna be
lots of fun!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love hunting the beginning of the rains, despite the inconveniences of getting stuck. Good Luck!

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck ! Hunting with your son for his first buffalo is a real treat!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well...

Y’all haven’t seen wet & muddy unless you’re hunting right here, right now. It has rained for 10 days straight, we usually get about half a day with no rain and then it pours for several hours.

Every Damn Day.

This hunt has required constant adjustments, starting the night before we chartered into camp when Mike Fell called to tell me he’s had a family emergency and had to return to South Africa immediately; with Tom Dames standing in as my son’s PH. As it turns out, Tom has been a wonderful, hard working PH. We would hunt with Tom again without hesitation. We’ve gotten the truck stuck probably 40-50 times through these first 8 days and I’ve seen a winch used more this week than in my entire 60 years. We can’t hunt most of the Maswa block, as the river we need to cross is a raging flood right now. So, we’re limited to hunting near camp. Instead of driving 100 kilometers a day looking for tracks; we are going 10-15 a day, and getting stuck more and more often. This morning, we got stuck in a spot we drove through yesterday and it took nearly 90 minutes before we were on our way again.

So far, my son has shot one nice hard bossed bull and we’re out daily looking for another. Two days ago, he could have shot a classic looking 42” bull but passed as one of it’s buddies was very old and heavy horned, broomed off on the ends and great character, if just a touch less spread. He couldn’t get a shot at that bull though. They were on them 2 days in a row, from 40-80 yards at various times, but couldn’t get a shot at the bull they wanted. This morning, they followed a pair of bulls and one turned out to be the best bull they’ve seen yet. Tom estimated him at 46” spread with a large boss. Unfortunately, even though they got as close as 20 yards, no shot was possible on that bull. Each day, we’ve come back to camp soaking wet as there have been Thunderstorms every day. We are wading through standing water probably 95% of the time. Weather-wise, this has been more like an Alaska Peninsula hunt than a northern Tanzania hunt. Hip boots, like you’d wear on a moose or brown bear hunt, would be the perfect footwear right now. But, we are making the best of it, hunting hard through the daily rain and having fun along the way. My son has walked quite a bit following buffalo and he’s pretty well hooked on it now. We are already discussing a future buffalo hunt together some years down the line. But, it’ll be a dry season hunt.

I’ll post a hunt report after we return and dry out. Stay tuned...

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I was thinking of you just yesterday. It's all in the adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rains are upon us and it will most very likely be wet and muddy - that is what brings on the start of the migration and a glorious opportunity for some superb Buffalo.

Just keep fingers crossed that it doesn't get too wet as even walking will be difficult.

Don't say I didn't tell you .... and there's still more to come.

On a different note, you and your son can be privileged to say you hunted in similar conditions as our predecessors back in the days of no fancy Land Cruisers with locking diffs and power winches. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has been invited to spend 5 days in one of the several camps bordering Tarangire in a week's time for a freebie buff hunt with a very reputable outfitter; I was also invited but cannot make it due to work restraints (would've loved to send a couple of 570 grains through the barrels for old times' sake). Big Grin

With the amount of rain currently pouring down in that particular area the going will be tough; I spoke to one of the Maasai elders last night and he said its been raining virtually non-stop for the past week.

The migration however is in full swing and lapping up the weather conditions so my young man should be able to score with too much difficulty.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
My son has been invited to spend 5 days in one of the several camps bordering Tarangire in a week's time for a freebie buff hunt with a very reputable outfitter; I was also invited but cannot make it due to work restraints (would've loved to send a couple of 570 grains through the barrels for old times' sake). Big Grin

With the amount of rain currently pouring down in that particular area the going will be tough; I spoke to one of the Maasai elders last night and he said its been raining virtually non-stop for the past week.

The migration however is in full swing and lapping up the weather conditions so my young man should be able to score with too much difficulty.

Fulvio, I expect your son will be fine, as there were no buffalo to speak of when we
visited Tarangire 10 days ago. In 2 days of driving all over the park, we saw 1 group of 5 buffalo. Mubarek Atik, our host at Tarangire, suggested that most of the buffalo had probably moved into Lokisale and Lobo. They sure as hell were not in the park.

On another note, instead of flying out of camp, it looks like we will fly out of the commercial airport at Mwanza, which is a 5 hour drive in good conditions. With 60 clicks of two track and dirt roads before we hit asphalt, we are hoping we can get there in 8 hours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done that drive before. You see a lot of US Gov funded billboards about female genital mutilation, still very prevalent in that corner of TZ.

Sounds like a great hunt, looking forward to pictures.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, my son’s first buffalo hunt is officially finished. It was a tough hunt, with heavy rain 9 of the 10 days we hunted, including a downpour this afternoon. We are all tired, wet and muddy. But...

Tom Brady,Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees got nothing on us when it comes to 2-minute drills! With about 20 minutes of legal shooting time left on this last day, my son shot a fantastic old bull! He’s the same Dugga Boy they hunted for 3 straight days earlier this safari. Heavy boss worn smooth, tips broomed way down, ears shredded and he was in poor condition, skinny despite the abundant grass. We think he’s probably at least 12-13 years old. He earned this bull, walking lots of miles tracking buffalo these last ten days. He passed up many lesser bulls and was prepared to go home without filling his 2nd buffalo license. Like a 2 minute drill winding down, they got it done just before the game ended.

Full report with pictures when we get home and recuperate a bit.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Well, my son’s first buffalo hunt is officially finished. It was a tough hunt, with heavy rain 9 of the 10 days we hunted, including a downpour this afternoon. We are all tired, wet and muddy. But...

Tom Brady,Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees got nothing on us when it comes to 2-minute drills! With about 20 minutes of legal shooting time left on this last day, my son shot a fantastic old bull! He’s the same Dugga Boy they hunted for 3 straight days earlier this safari. Heavy boss worn smooth, tips broomed way down, ears shredded and he was in poor condition, skinny despite the abundant grass. We think he’s probably at least 12-13 years old. He earned this bull, walking lots of miles tracking buffalo these last ten days. He passed up many lesser bulls and was prepared to go home without filling his 2nd buffalo license. Like a 2 minute drill winding down, they got it done just before the game ended.

Full report with pictures when we get home and recuperate a bit.

Congrats

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote