THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The 375 H&H, the most popular big game caliber in the world?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 375 H&H, the most popular big game caliber in the world?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, the sun never sat on the British Empire for many years so might the British 303 qualify due to all those british soldiers stationed around the world? Or, maybe after serving in the two world wars and korea might the 30/06 qualify? Anyway, the 375 H&H is the most popular "big bore/DG caliber" in the world.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So many hunters would be so much happier if they used the 375 instead of some of the canons they do use and cannot shoot well.

This is not to say that many hunters do like to use bigger calibers, and are capable of using them well.

But, the stories coming out from the field tell a rather sad tale.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the medium bores. Personally, I like a .416, as it will do anything a .375 will do, only better, but a .375 is a fine cartridge.

Agree you should shoot a caliber you can handle and shoot well. I have rifles I don't enjoy shooting. The mediums are a joy.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Well, the sun never sat on the British Empire for many years so might the British 303 qualify due to all those british soldiers stationed around the world? Or, maybe after serving in the two world wars and korea might the 30/06 qualify? Anyway, the 375 H&H is the most popular "big bore/DG caliber" in the world.

Interesting question. One would assume since the British had colonies far and wide plus a rather insatiable love of sport the .303 might be. But currently the American .30-06 has a pretty wide audience too. Especially after WWII. I guess the only way to really tell would be to poll every major ammunition manufacture in the world for the answer.

Regarding the .375 H&H in the title I would doubt it. There just isn't enough really big and/or dangerous animals around that would require its power. I'll leave what the .375 is best for to you guys who have far more experience with it and the various large bores then I.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 375 H+H would be my pick for the most popular African caliber for American hunters. For domestic use I think the 30-06 beats it. That said, I recently sold my 375 H+H and currently don't own one.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Actually if you seek rock bottom of popularity - that ends with availability in some of the remotest places, you end up with 12 bore caliber shotgun. If you include small calibers there is .22 l.r.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked Craig Boddington's comments in Bob Forker's Ammo & Ballistics II where he defines "dangerous game" rifles. There's no doubt that the .375 is more than adequate in the hands of a competent marksman who can place the shot where required, but the "4"s are probably a little more of a safe bet on bad stuff. I believe it comes down to the shooter spending enough time on the range with whatever he or she chooses to carry. Karamojo Bell did fine with his 7mm, and also his "new" .303 way back when.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great battery is 375 H&H and 30-06. All around great performance and ammo can be found anywhere. Most defiantly shot placement is the most important factor, no matter what one shoots.

Beware the man who only shoots one rifle. He probably knows how to use it.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Africa battery consists of a 375 H & H, 458 Lott and 30-06, acquired in that order. All are Win M70 CTF LH's, partially to full customs. I could have done without the Lott. Those days are over, sadly. Ten safaris and no regrets.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, I think the 375 H&H is a dandy elk rifle that's all Ive ever shot with mine. If I go back to Africa to hunt buffalo again I'll most likely take my 416 Rigby. It has more recoil than the 375 but, it also has a bunch more horse power.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Seen more animals fall to the .375 than all the others put together. As Frostbit put it - the most versatile calibre.

One with a quick detachable scope is all that one needs. For a PH this is probably not his choice of carry gun and he will more likely favour a bigger stick.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Not even close.

In the grand scheme of things, very very few people go or have gone to Africa to hunt. And certainly no need for a 375 for NA or Europe.

Historically, for US hunters, the 30-06 is the #1 choice, but I have read that the 30-30 was actually more popular back in the day.

Now, I can't think of a single personal aquaintance that hunts with a 30-06!

270, 308, 7mm08, 300wby, 260, 243, but not a 30-06 among them.

Heck, I have two (30-06) and have never killed a single animal with either. shocker

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
The 375 H+H would be my pick for the most popular African caliber for American hunters. For domestic use I think the 30-06 beats it. That said, I recently sold my 375 H+H and currently don't own one.

Heretic! Burn him at the stake!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Actually the thread is asking for the most popular BIG BORE/DANGEROUS GAME CALIBER in the WORLD. To me that means BIG and DANGEROUS game, not deer and other sized creatures. With that said, it's easily the .375 H&H for sure, as to popularity and overall use. Big Grin And, it is often used for even the very small creatures as well, along with a host of other non-dangerous game across the world. Here's a great article on the 375 taken from American Rifleman in 2012:

A Century with the .375 H&H Mag.
by Dave Campbell - Friday, August 10, 2012

A Century with the .375 H&H Mag.
More
8/10/2012

One hundred years ago the Titanic sank, Boston’s Fenway Park opened and Ty Cobb scored the first run at Tiger Stadium. There were about 8,000 automobiles in the entire United States and the population of Las Vegas, Nev., was 30. In the U.S. hunters were enamored with the .30-30 Win., the .30-06 Sprg. and that new-fangled smokeless gunpowder. Well-heeled hunters from the U.S. and Britain were heading to Africa for adventure and trophies, and they did not want to be burdened with smokey old cartridges the size of a nickel cigar. These hunters wanted to take advantage of the increased energy and power that smokeless powder offered. They wanted a rifle that shot flat and hit with enough authority to knock down the big, dangerous stuff—lions, buffalo and even elephants.

The time-honored and very conservative firm of Holland & Holland still had Henry Holland—one of the original partners—at the helm. A competing firm had already brought out the 9.5 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 1910. Known in Britain as the .375 Nitro Express Rimless, the Brits took some umbrage toward an upstart encroaching into what they considered their African business. Holland’s first answer to the Italian rouge was the .400/.375, the first cartridge to feature a belt for headspacing purposes. It was also known as the .375 Velopex. Designed so that it would fit into a standard Mauser 98 action, the .375 Velopex was the first short magnum as well. It launched a 270-grain bullet at 2,175 fps, which did not endear it to hunters. They wanted more power and a flatter trajectory.

Two years later Holland & Holland introduced the .375 Belted Rimless Nitro Express—known the world over as the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum—along with its rimmed brother the .375 Flanged Nitro Express for double rifles. Rimmed cartridges did not feed reliably from rifles with magazines, and the shoulder of the cartridge was considered too small to headspace dependably. Initially it was loaded with Cordite in three bullet weights, a 235-grain bullet at 2,850 fps for light, thin-skin game, a 270-grain bullet at 2,650 fps for medium-size game and a 300-grain bullet at 2,550 fps for large, dangerous game.

The three-seven-five—as it is often referred to—became an instant hit the world over. Professional hunters and guides who hunt large, dangerous animals consider this cartridge to be the best all-around extant. The 270-grain bullet shoots as flat as a 180-grain .30-06, yet has nearly twice the energy delivered to a target at any given range. Switch to 300-grain solids, and you have a stopper rifle capable of flattening a Cape buffalo or lion. The .375 is the minimum caliber one can use on elephant in most countries.

On this side of the pond there are those who say that the .375 is too much gun for North American critters. Don’t tell that to Alaskan bear guides who may have to crawl into an alder thicket to retrieve a bear that a client scratched. In south Texas, where they hunt the tough Asian antelope nilgai, the preferred cartridge is the .375 H&H Mag. I once put three Fail Safes—a bullet noted for its toughness—from a .338 Win. Mag. into the shoulder of a nilgai at about 125 yards. You could cover the group with you hand, and the tough old bull still needed a finishing shot, so I wouldn’t argue against the centurion magnum.

There are those who argue the .375 H&H has some pretty stiff recoil. While it’s probably not the gun to take on a day-long prairie dog shoot, I have found it to be fairly well behaved, provided that the rifle stock is straight and well designed. I took a Safari Grade Model 70 Winchester to South Africa in 2004 and shot seven animals with it ranging from warthog to eland, and I did not find its recoil to be objectionable. My current .375 is another Model 70 manufactured in 1954. I’m good for about 20 rounds off the bench for a day—enough to sight in or test a load.

Handloaders can increase the versatility of this already multitalented cartridge. Bullets as light as 200 grains are available and can be sent downrange at 3,195 fps, which should easily cover any deer or pronghorn that suits one’s fancy. The aforementioned 300-grainers can be had as an expanding bullet or a solid to provide bone-smashing authority for the bigger stuff. Those who really want the deepest penetration can get 325- to 350-grain bullets with sectional densities running .330 to .356 and send them downrange at between 2,380 and 2,470 fps yielding better penetration than the 500-grain .458 bullet at 2,240 fps. A tip on handloading the three-seven-five: Neck sizing or just touching the shoulder on the fired case will increase case life a bit. Headspacing on the shoulder, rather than the belt, will limit case-length growth, thereby also lengthening case life somewhat.

Variations on the .375 H&H Mag. include the wildcat .375 Ackley Improved and the .375 Wby. Mag. Both cartridges blow out the body taper of the H&H cartridge to increase case capacity, hence velocity. Whether such “improvements” are worth while is pretty subjective.

The .375 H&H Mag. has served as the parent cartridge to no less than 31 cartridges ranging from the .244 H&H Mag. to the .470 Capstick. Standard-length magnum descendants run the gamut from the .257 Wby Mag. to the .458 Win. Mag. and include two of my favorite cartridges, the .300 and .338 Win. Mags. There are even short-magnum versions: the 6.5 Rem. Mag., .350 Rem. Mag. and the .450 Marlin. Wildcatters have also used the .375 H&H to produce cartridges that could boggle the imagination. Yep, this centurion has been fruitful and multiplied.

Gunnies seem to like to comtemplate: “If could have but one rifle (or pistol, or shotgun).” Personally, I find it horrific to imagine, but I have on occasion submitted to engaging in this banter. I started out with the .30-06 and killed a pile of game with it, and even won a few matches with it. It will always have a special place in my heart—a first love sort of thing. My .270s—both the original Winchester version as well as the WSM—have performed virtually flawlessly on pronghorns to caribou and a lot more. I can’t imagine life without them. And as I have already mentioned, I am quite fond of my .300 and .338 Win. Mags. I won’t even get into the varmint cartridges now. But if someone twisted my arm and threatened to shoot my dogs in order to get me to choose but one caliber to hunt with for the rest of my life, I’d choose the three-seven-five in a heartbeat and never look back.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
As far as I know a 375H&H mag with a 300 grain soft and or solid bullet moving at 2500 fps will kill gust about anything you shoot with it! If you can hit a muledeer or elk at 300 yds with a 30-06 you can hit them just as well with a 375H&H mag! Having said that I believe the animal will not know if he was killed on the spot with a 30-06 or a 357 H&H mag.

I have killed Caribou, elk, Black bear and muledeer in the USA and Canada, and cape buffalo, eland, zebra, wildebeest, Impala, wart hog, hippo in Africa all with the 375H&H mag and the only animal I had to shoot twice with it was a little 90 pound impala. Though I have several big bore double rifles and bolt rifles I think the top of the steps 375H&Hmag is a "ONE CALIBER FOR THE WORLD". If I had to live with the bare minimum of firearms they would be a 1911 45 acp pistol, a .22Lr rifle, a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun, and a CRF bolt rifle chambered for the 375H&H mag.

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had to live with the bare minimum of firearms they would be a 1911 45 acp pistol, a .22Lr rifle, a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun, and a CRF bolt rifle chambered for the 375H&H mag.

I follow your thoughts but would swap the 1911 with a Glock (the world HAS moved since 1911 Big Grin ) and swap the .22lr with a 6,5 something...

I cant praise the .375 H&H too much myself....brilliant cartridge for most african game sans elephant and it is perfect for moose.
It would be the last (God forbid..) hunting rifle I would sell..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:

I follow your thoughts but would swap the 1911 with a Glock (the world HAS moved since 1911 Big Grin ) and swap the .22lr with a 6,5 something...

The world has moved on from double rifles as well, but in most cases it was not an improvement for the intended purpose!

I simply do not like a handgun without an exposed hammer. And I have been using 1911 colts and clones for about sixty years always cocked&locked with a round in the chamber. I will say there is one improvement over the 1911s and that is a double action/single action with a drop hammer safety feature. I have an old Astra A-75 9mm that has a great double action trigger pull, and after the first shot the single action trigger pull is like a target pistol. In an addition there are several fine exposed hammer double action/single action pistols on the market with drop hammer safeties that I consider better than anything made by Glock.

However that's why they make different strokes for different folks, so we all have a choice!

If I were to trade the 22LR for a center fire rifle it would be my Mannlicher Shoenauer MCA61 chambered for 243Winchester.

However, during WWII's meat rationing, I probably killed over one hundred deer with a Winchester single shot 22LR rifle to feed four families who moved onto my grand fathers North hill country Texas ranch, while my dad and the other men in our family were fighting in Europe, and the South Pacific. Center fire ammo was hard to come by during WWII.
Though being very young, I was the oldest boy in that family so the meat gathering was left up to me. In the right hands a 22LR rifle is a deadly weapon.

quote:
I cant praise the .375 H&H too much myself....brilliant cartridge for most african game sans elephant and it is perfect for moose.
It would be the last (God forbid..) hunting rifle I would sell..

On the 375H&H we totally agree! Most here consider the 375 H&H to be a big bore cartridge when in fact it is a medium! But it's effectiveness is almost magic for up close or way out there, it kills almost perfectly on anything hit from a whitetail deer to an elephant with proper bullet and placement! Light for Ele but not a deal breaker for that target in the right hands.
It has the unusual ability to place bullets of different weights with almost a common trajectory enough that the 375 H&H rifle is easy to learn to shoot at all practical ranges and is legal for the big five in almost all countries. THE 375H&H ONE RIFLE FOR THE WORLD!

.................................................................. tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your post, the 375 H&H is not the most popular big game caliber in the world, it's most likely the most popular dangerous game caliber in the world, my bet is that the 30-06 is the most popular big game caliber in the world. That being said, I do have a bias opinion due to the fact that they are my favorite calibers on planet earth Smiler

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if more hunters would take the 375 on their first DG hunt there would be far less wounded animals. After that hunt if they want to try something larger have at it but it's not necessary. I had a client of slight build take a CZ 416 Rigby on his first DG safari with predicable results. Wounded and not recovered buffalo x 2. During the planning stage of the safari when guns came up he told me when I suggested a 375 with a brake that it was "Too Gay". He was jumping straight up from a 308 and I thought after he shot the 375 with a brake if he found the brake was not necessary he could just take it off and hunt without it. Unfortunately he had drunk the big bore Cool-Aid and it basically ruined his safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And with more choice in types and weights of bullets it is even more versatile.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would guess so. Impossible to know of course.

When you think about it, the vast majority of big game animals were no doubt killed with spears. Far more than with anything else.

Now, those were the days!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
So many hunters would be so much happier if they used the 375 instead of some of the canons they do use and cannot shoot well.

This is not to say that many hunters do like to use bigger calibers, and are capable of using them well.

But, the stories coming out from the field tell a rather sad tale.

Amen!

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Tim Vining......375 H&H and 30.06.....or as alternates to the lighter load .300 H&H or .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 might be more widespread than the 30/06 as I think some countries don't allow military calibres.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could have only 1 rifle, I would have a hard time deciding between my 375 or my 22lr.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
95% of all hunters coming to Burkina over the last 3 years have brought a 375 H&H. This year seems to be a bit different with 404 Jeffery, 416 rigby, 416 rem, 500 nitro, 9,3x74, 500/450 H&H etc and a few 375s.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Seen more animals fall to the .375 than all the others put together. As Frostbit put it - the most versatile calibre.

One with a quick detachable scope is all that one needs. For a PH this is probably not his choice of carry gun and he will more likely favour a bigger stick.

"In my opinion you have not only an exceptionally beautiful rifle there but an entirely practical one as well. In my fifty five years of professional hunting my respect for the .375 H&H cartridge has increased each time I saw it used. In my opinion the greatest cartridge ever developed. I would prefer to see a visiting hunter arrive for his safari with such a rifle than with a double of any caliber. Good luck on your hunt."

Harry Selby.

LINK

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Frostbit,

That is truly a beautiful rifle you have there sir. Good to see you are living up to its intended use. Plus being a .375 H&H makes all the better!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Heretic! Burn him at the stake!

Thanks! It was a Remington 700 bought in 1984, looking hard at the new Winchester Alaskan version to replace it.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have used the 375 weatherby and the 375 ultra more than the HH but I will tell you everything I shot with a 375-large plains game and buffalo--pulled it's "hand brake"PDQ!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote