Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt prices
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Just curious, what are the best rates for cape buffalo this year? Best I have seen so far is $8500 in Zim but I hear there are some hunts in Tanzania for a little less and they have the option for a second buffalo.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE,

If by best you mean least expensive I think you'll find a hunt to be the least expensive because they are cutting corners somewhere. A good quality 7 day buff hunt along the Luangwa in Zambia is about $8500 before trophy fees. In Zim a 10 day buff on the Save Conservancy is about $9000 before trophy fees. In Tanzania on our concessions a 10 day buff hunt is $14950 before trophy fees. All of these prices include all government fees, licenses, transportation to camp from major airport , dip/pack everything. The hunts are conducted by the concession holders on the their own concessions and they all should net you a very nice buffalo along with some good quality plains game trophies.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Cape buffalo hunting is getting relatively expensive in Southern Africa ...

It does vary by country and by location situation, such as whethere on a government concession GMA type hunt, or on a private ranch type hunt ..

Also one (needs to be careful) whem someone quotes a hunt as there is a base price and the final price, so be very clear and cognizant of what the FULL ALL UP costs are ..

Our 2006 price for a (1x1 5-day package + arrival day) private ranch hunt in Zambia is $ 10,300 [ ALL UP ]

That $10,300 includes the following

1) the base price and inclisve of 1 x cape buff bull
2) the private return air-charter Liv/Ngoma/Liv
3) the arrival / non-hunting settle in day
4) the rifle import permit or loan of a rifle and ammo
5) the dip pack crate & consignement paper work permits

The ONLY (not included) costs in the above is the TROPHY FREIGHT paid collect at your home destination, accommodation and ventures in Livingstone if/as required, and your international airfares into Livingstone Zambia

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Buff hunt prices vary considerably. You can get 2x1 Selous hunts for $8600 with charter and 1 Buffalo/hunter included, with the option for a second Buff. That is about the cheapest for a 2 Buff hunt.

Zim - $8,150 all inc. is the best price I have for a 7-day. You can do a 5-day 1x1 for about $6750 (+ charter of $1500 R/T)
Zambia, $10,000 and up plus charter (Can be pricey)
Tanz - anywhere for the low Selous hunt prices of $8600 to Western Tanz and Masailand prices. $15,000 - $25,000
Botswana Okavango - $14,000
Namibia Caprivi $11,000 all inc (Trophy fee, flight to Caprivi etc.)

So there are a lot in the all run in the $8000 - $12,000 range. Most require a charter which ups the price, Masailand doesn't require a charter, but their prices are higher anyway ... but you will pay for quality, which is why Selous Buffalo are the cheapest. Fantastic hunt, wonderful wild area, great plainsgame and lot's of Buffalo, but the Buff quality is not there.

This is a broad generalization.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically you get what you pay for. There is no "free deal" or "insider deal" that will get you a hunt at a below market price. Hunting, as in life, does not work that way.

I firmly believe it is far better to pay too much for something and get what you want than to pay too little and not get what you are paying for.

In dangerous game hunting, you are far better off paying for a premium hunt that cutting corners on a once in a lifetime experience.

Any of the guys responding above are "good guys" and are giving you good comments.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What is the trophy quality like in the Selous?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In early Feb. at the Harrisburg Sport Show in Harrisburg, Pa there was a company selling a 7 day all inclusive( except dip & pack and shipment to your broker's office) 1x1 1 buff hunt in Zimbabwe for a total of $7300 from Atlanta and back.
I seem to recall the company's name was something like.....Humerldorf Safaris or something that sounds like that.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Now that is cheap!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Found on web,

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/Africa/zimbabwe.htm

Says $7495. but when ya click it says $8495.
All included.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Invader

FWIW these are the guys who have been asked to not use Adam's pics to advertise their hunts.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Be damn careful of these "cheap" buffalo hunts in Zimbabwe. The reputable outfitters in ZIM are having no problem selling their hunts. Ask for the name of the outfitter, the name of the PH, the PH license number and the exact name of the concession where the hunt is being offered. Some of these cheap hunts are on siezed game farms. Be particularly suspicious of anything in the "Matetsi area" including anything in the Gwayi (Gwaii, Gwaai) area. If the booking agent won't fully and completely answer all your questions, move on.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Mark, I must have missed that thread. Is this
the photo?

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/Africa/africa_hunting_specials_CAPE_BUFFALO.htm

The one from Tanz?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug Kok has a 2 on 1 deal for buff in Zim $7700.00 each. I dont remember the area but I can call him if someone is serious about it. Doug is a straight up guy. You wouldnt go wrong with him. He lost his place early on in the land grabs. I have no interest in this financially and nothing to gain. Doug is a friend but that is all. I thought you guys might like to know about this one. It is probably the best deal I have seen from a reputable outfitter for awhile.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Tuli Hunters, Operations Manager and Head PH Wayne Dietrechsen. I am told operates the
hunt. He is not on your list of PH's dated 1 Jan. but recieved this.

46 G. SILUNDIKA/3RD AVENUE 18 WALTER HILL AVENUE
P O BOX 3654 EASTLEA
BULAWAYO HARARE
TEL/FAX 09 78085 / 78005 / 70301 TEL: 04 702402 FAX: 04 707306

09 January 2006

Dear Don Causey

Reference is made to your e-mail to Jeff Martinell dated 15th December 2005 regarding Wayne
Dietrechsen not legally possessing an authentic Professional Hunter’s Licence. May I take this
opportunity to correct this unfortunate impression.

On the 21st December 2005 I, in my capacity as the National Chairman of the Safari Operators
Association of Zimbabwe - (which is an amalgamation of Zimbabwe Indigenous Safari Operators
(ZISOA) and Zimbabwe Association Of Tour & Safari Operators (ZATSO), personally went to the
National Parks and Wildlife Authority Headquarters in Harare to confirm if Mr Dietrechsen was issued
with a Professional Hunter’s Licence. That was confirmed. His Professional Hunter’s licence is Number
472. I have also personally examined the said licence and am satisfied that it is a full licence without any restrictions at all. Wayne Dietrechsen has, therefore, authority to hunt Plains and Big game in Zimbabwe.
I hope this clears the air.

Yours sincerely,

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
invader66,

Zim PH License #472 has been canceled because it was fraudulently issued.

We need to find out where Martinell and Dietrechsen are offering this buffalo hunt. Plus, would be nice to know Dietrechsen's and Mudenda's relationship.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Invader

Got your PM. Thanks and that is the picture I mentioned.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Mark, I must have missed that thread. Is this
the photo?

The one from Tanz?

Yeah that is the photo. Apparently that isn't their photo and they stole it off a different website. I believe Adam Clements is one of the guys in the picture and that he has asked them multiple times to remove it which they obviously haven't done.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Terry,
Tuli Hunters, Operations Manager and Head PH Wayne Dietrechsen. I am told operates the
hunt. He is not on your list of PH's dated 1 Jan. but recieved this.

46 G. SILUNDIKA/3RD AVENUE 18 WALTER HILL AVENUE
P O BOX 3654 EASTLEA
BULAWAYO HARARE
TEL/FAX 09 78085 / 78005 / 70301 TEL: 04 702402 FAX: 04 707306

09 January 2006

Dear Don Causey

Reference is made to your e-mail to Jeff Martinell dated 15th December 2005 regarding Wayne
Dietrechsen not legally possessing an authentic Professional Hunter’s Licence. May I take this
opportunity to correct this unfortunate impression.

On the 21st December 2005 I, in my capacity as the National Chairman of the Safari Operators
Association of Zimbabwe - (which is an amalgamation of Zimbabwe Indigenous Safari Operators
(ZISOA) and Zimbabwe Association Of Tour & Safari Operators (ZATSO), personally went to the
National Parks and Wildlife Authority Headquarters in Harare to confirm if Mr Dietrechsen was issued
with a Professional Hunter’s Licence. That was confirmed. His Professional Hunter’s licence is Number
472. I have also personally examined the said licence and am satisfied that it is a full licence without any restrictions at all. Wayne Dietrechsen has, therefore, authority to hunt Plains and Big game in Zimbabwe.
I hope this clears the air.

Yours sincerely,

How did this come into it? did I miss something?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
bulldog 563,

Apparently we aren't the first ones who are wondering how Dietrechsen is getting by hunting on a canceled license.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
As I understand it Hunt is around Hwange National Park area, across road from park half way or so to Vic Falls from Bulawayo.I think
some one posted that most of that land is
Confisated Land?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Excerpts from a 2003 article in The Independent newspaper:

The Gwayi Valley Conservancy borders the Hwange National Park and safari ranches in the area have been allocated to new farmers under the government's A2 model.

A list supplied to the Independent with names of A2 beneficiaries in the area indicates that most of them have links to Zanu PF. They include the party's central committee member Alice Nkomo in Lot 3 Dete Valley, the party's provincial chairman for Matabeleland North, Jacob Mudenda in Sekumi Estates, Zimbabwe's high commissioner to Zambia Cain Matema in a sub-section of Lot 3 Dete Valley, and ZBC reporter Prisca Utete who acquired part of Sekumi Estates.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
If it is Conficated Land isn't that Lacey Act problems?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Luxury hunts also has a 2X1 7 day inclusive TZ buff hunt for 6900 inclusive. How can they do TZ for less then Zim. Seems pretty shady.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
Luxury hunts also has a 2X1 7 day inclusive TZ buff hunt for 6900 inclusive. How can they do TZ for less then Zim. Seems pretty shady.

Look at this PREVIOUS TOPIC, no one could figure out how they can offer those prices (one theory is that they are hunting 2 guys on one license).

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
bulldog, I know there are at least 4 people on AR who have taken that Tanz Hunt and none Have
posted a Hunt Report.

Terry, it was 2 on 1 licence.
should this have it's own thread??

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Terry, Dose this need it's own thread??

I think we are too far into it now to start over, let's just keep it on this thread.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting. I wonder why? Someone should speak up.

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
bulldog
Some just do not take the time. Some will not
make a bad hunt report(if it was)as they think it will make them look bad or stupid for booking the hunt.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The real cost of a buffalo hunt

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Miombo safaris have just about the cheapest buff hunts on offer in Tz in their Kilombero concession. I can't remember the exact figure but I believe they started under $8,000 on a 1x1?

They are a fully legit operator and are hiding nothing and their camps and equipment is excellent. Anyone interested can contact them with confidence.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I would look for a reasonable outfitter in the Zambezi Valley for around US$8500.

If I was really interested I would have bought the same hunt at an SCI auction for US$6000 including trophy fees and 7 days.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flee far and fast from Mr Mudenda and his associates. He is sitting on Tais De Vfries'farm in the Gwaii and will not even let them take the childrens toys or their personal clothes etc. Hunting on Waterford or any of the other farms that are occupied (they have not been confiscated- nothing is finallised yet!) would be a lacy act violation and we have finally got a hearing in the EU court to block trophies from such land going into europe.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to Miombo Safaris: http://www.miombosafaris.com/html/miombo_index3.htm

Last year at Dallas, Michel spent alot of time talking to me about elephants even though he knew I could not afford to hunt with him. Their operation impressed me. They are a class act.

There 2005 price for a 7 day 2x1 buffalo hunt was $5,950 plus $2,650 in gov't fees, license, trophy handling etc, plus air charter.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon me for saying it, but this is a niggardly budget for tips!

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
The real cost of a buffalo hunt

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Just curious but what sort of trophy quality could be expected from the less expensive Selous hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog563
I too am curious in regards to buffalo quality in the Selous.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
It seems to be that there are more Buff in the
Selous but BETTER Buff else where. I Have not
been but it is what I have been told.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
So what size of hard bossed bull could reasonably be expected in 10 days? If I had to guess I would say 36-39" but that would just be a guess. Anyone know for sure?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I can guess, based on what I have shot and what I have seen shot in some of the Northern blocks of the Selous.

You can shoot 35"-36" Bulls pretty easily. A 37" is a pretty good expectation if you go at the right time and if you are in a decent area and if you are a bit picky.

38's are harder to find, but they are there, 39's are a bit rare but outside possibility. 40 and better are a function of luck. People shoot them, but don't let anyone tell you a 40 is a reasonable possibility on a 7 to 10 day hunt.

Your milage may vary.

Now, I have seen pictures of Selous Buff of 46" and one that was an honest 49 7/8" (I would have to call that 50") They are there. Good luck finding them.

Overall average of a Selous Buff taken ???? Maybe 35" That is just a guess.

That is averaging those who go at difficult times, those out of shape, those who shoot the first hard bossed Buff they see, etc.

Others opinions may differ from mine, but I bet not too much.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
...That is averaging those who go at difficult times, those out of shape, those who shoot the first hard bossed Buff they see, etc.

you mean to tell me I'm expected to be in shape for walking to hunt buff? I thought I could just pop out of the truck, step out 100 yds or so and use my "500 wackum stakum" on a 46" bull Big Grin