New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider myself far from being rich money wise. I have been on 5 safaris to Africa, I just make the sacrfices I need to and save for them. Ususally takes me 2 to 3 years to save for a safari.

As far as getting an inheritance from my parents I don't want any, they brought me into this world and raised me and that is enough for me. I tell my parents what they have is theirs and they should enjoy themselves and spend it all before they go.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Anyone who goes on an African safari will be viewed as "rich" by someone else.

However, "rich" is wholly subjective. Couch your inquiry in objective terms, such as: "Safari is only for hunters with annual incomes of $100,000" and you'd get 100% disagreement from this discussion board. Your poll is flawed.

Also, you're 72 years old. It's time to quit worrying about everyone else, think about yourself, and go to Africa already . . . before it's everlasting too late.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
"you can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want."

Amen!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I just had a very similar conversation with my best friend. He had told me all about his new Ford pick-up, his new Featherlight Trailer, his wife's new Cadillac SUV and other recent acquisitions. (my daily driver is a '83 Blazer)

Then he asked me "How can you afford to go to Africa?"

I haven't bought myself a lunch in years! Make the promise to yourself, Bill.

Now, if I can just get the Princess out of college........

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Bill,

Have you considered that if you do that safari you will also be contributing to a great many people living in relative poverty. Often the safari camp has as many as 20 plus employees and each has a substantial family so your safari dollars directly go to people that can use it. To my mind this is even better way to give back than contributing to a charity.

Mark

I wish the IRS would see it this way too. Just think of the tax deductible safari ....

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not 50 yet. Been to Africa 3 times in the last 10 years... hunt prices ranging from $7k - $12k all in aside from dip and pack/freight/taxidermy. I have a house payment (on what most would consider a nicer than average home) and the regular bills. I make $35k a year. I guess I'm considered poor buy most standards. So in short, to answer your questions, NO its not a rich mans sport. I'm the furthest thing from it and living proof it can be done if you really want to go and sacrifice the unessasary stuff you don't need.

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

You sound as a fine man based by your responses here.

I'm hacking away at life like many folk here financially. Yet, I took my 18 yr old son with me to Namibia for my first and only PG Hunt 4 yrs ago.

Don't know if I'll ever get the chance financially to make it back...but I think about it VERY often. However,it was the best investment I made for myself!

I love and cherish each moment and the memories never fade...

If you are PASSIONATE about a safari as you hear/see most people here are... I believe you owe it to yourself at 72 yrs of age to go and enjoy yourself!

You won't regret it tu2

Watch for DISCOUNTED Buff Hunts offered here, take lots of Trophy Shots and fore go the expensive trophy mounts and handling as its super expensive now days.

In a very polite and courteous way I say... Think about all you've already done by your kind generosity.... But there's nothing wrong with doing something this NICE for YOURSELF!

Go for it!

I'll even donate a TROPHY SHOT PHOTO ALBUM free of charge in support of your wonderful Safari Endeavor...just PM me anytime Sir!

Aloha!

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill G. in Oregon:
only a rich man's sport?

No ...

unless you mean rich as in:

rich of spirit,
rich in work ethic,
rich in dedication,
rich in family who loves him/her

My father has been a longshoreman for 53 years and continues to work on the docks every day.
He works hard and always has and has had to hold simultaneous day, night and weekend jobs to pay the bills. After working on the docks all day he slept three hours to work at LaGuardia Airport at night - polishing AA jets - by hand. Just about the lowest level job one could have there but it was another paycheck.

He and his my mother could never afford to pay for high school, college or medical school for his son so he taught that son to work hard every day after school and every weekend to pay for it himself. He did, though feed both of his sons and both of his daughters as well as clothe them and put a roof over their heads until the age of 18 after which they each had to help pay for "room and board" until moving out.

He saved what he could, when he could and taught that lesson to his children. We all have "change" jars and "dollar" jars into which we put whatever we can as well as "gift" money that might come from others on holidays and birthdays.

What has all this to do with your question you might be wondering ...

Well my father is by no definition rich - in fact most would label him as lower to mid middle class based on his income. My brother and my sisters would be the same. I would be upper middle class based on my income.

We don't go on safari every year ... but we do as frequently as we can afford to do so.

Are we rich?

I guess I initially responded incorrectly because it should have been Hell YES!

Not in a monetary sense but in the areas that are actually important - which is why we actually do have a chance to go on safari every now and then.

Respectfully,
My father's son

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of an evening in hunting camp in Southwestern Virginia a couple of years back, while I was showing some pic from Africa, there was a young man in camp with his grandfather. His grandfather worked in the local Volvo plant and probably live from hand to mouth feeding his family and extended family i e grandson. The boy looked at me and said "Are you rich" to which I replyed " Yes son I am because I am able to share this camp with your Grandfather and other good friends".

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote