Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gloves or ?
 Login/Join

posted
Its been intersting watching all these hunting DVD's. One thing I had noticed is that some pro's wearing hunting gloves either on one hand or both... I've done a lot of hunting, from small to big game... I'm not sure as to find a particular reason for wearing gloves. I would however like to hear from other hunters what the benefit for wearing gloves would be...
Obviously there will be benefits and some negative issues about this... just wondering.

If you're not the leading dog...
Your view will stay the same,

Life is joyfull
Death is peacefull -
The transition is the only problem...
HUNT AFRICA'S DEATH... AT FULL CHARGE...

Posts: 1 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Red Ivory,

Welcome to the forum and with a name like that, I wouldn't be suprised if you're in or near Zululand where a lot of 'em used to grow......I haven't been down there for a while but hope they're coming back by now.

A lot of the guys who shoot doubles wear at least one glve because of the skinny little forend on most doubles mean the hand touches the barrel and the barrels get helluva hot helluva quick.

Hope that helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Red Ivory, this is just a personal thing and may not apply to anyone else, but I wear gloves (often just a left hand one) for the following reasons:

I do most of my hunting in the Free State, Eastern- & Northern Cape. There’s thorns galore. I also often crawl on all fours and I’m way beyond the age of pretending that the small darn stones & pebbles don’t hurt my hands.

I do though prefer not to have a gloves on my trigger finger (right hand) when shooting. Thus, if I’m in the ‘ready-for-action’ mode, I’ll have a glove on my left hand (so that I can deal with the inevitable thorns & stones), while my right hand is gloveless to facilitate swift shooting if need be.

If I’m on a long stalk, or I’m not expecting to shoot in a haste, I’ll wear gloves on both hands. Just my 2c.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yep, I wear 'em. Knee pads too.

Spend some time crawling around on hard ground or among the thorns, and you will soon see their virtues!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I wear gloves when: 1) It's cold, snowing and/or raining; 2)When I shoot my double rifle. Big Grin You can get all types of gloves for hunting/shooting. Recently I purchased a very light pair from Sportsman's Warehouse, that I believe bow hunters use. They help with the cool mornings and have material on the palms and fingers that allow you to tightly grip the rifle and work the action very quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear the fingerless kind. Keeps the fingers free and nimble for the odd task that may need doing. Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The picture that's worth 1,00 words!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
The picture that's worth 1,00 words!

+1 thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to wear gloves! But then my hands are always torn up.

I find it it real PITA to do things wearing gloves, opening a pocket knife or a beer is damn near impossible with gloves.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older I get the more I wear glooves. I buy a size to small of mechanic's gloove, then cram my fingers in. That way the glooves are nice and tight and I can grip the rifle better. This gives me a good grip carrying the rifle and I don't transfer my sweaty hand oil to the wood.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I used leather batting gloves and they seemed to work very well. Thin, flexible, protective, and perforated to reduce sweating.

I noted mrlexma's comments about knee pads. What have folks used for knee pads? I may have a need for them in Chewore in Sept.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not being a smart ass, but the answer to"what have folks used for knee pads"? The answer would most likely be knee pads. You can buy several commercial, construction type knee pads from places like Home Depot and Lowe's. A lot of really good fly fisherman also use these. Check'em out.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
I used leather batting gloves and they seemed to work very well. Thin, flexible, protective, and perforated to reduce sweating.

I noted mrlexma's comments about knee pads. What have folks used for knee pads? I may have a need for them in Chewore in Sept.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are really only two reasons to wear gloves. If it is below zero degrees or if there are thorns that will rip you up.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
MR, I like those fingerless gloves put since I switched to a double You definately needs fingers if barrels heat up...
This year at the Vintagers one of my friends had to pour cold water on his H&H Royal so he could hang on and shoot it... Eeker

Mike Eeker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Not being a smart ass, but the answer to"what have folks used for knee pads"? The answer would most likely be knee pads. You can buy several commercial, construction type knee pads from places like Home Depot and Lowe's. A lot of really good fly fisherman also use these. Check'em out.
[QUOTE]

Thanks Larry - I've looked at these and know what knee pads are; however, there are cotton gym, canvas, fiberglass, gel, articulated, etc etc types - I was really asking whether any one type was preferable or more quiet.

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I wear gloves for protection from the cold. I have never been comfortable shooting with gloves on. I'm one of the majority of one who LIKES beavertail forearms so see no need for gloves for shooting a double.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450,

I like the 5.11 Tactical trousers, even though I generally don't like anything with the word "Tactical" in its name.

What the hell is "Tactical" supposed to mean, anyway? I have concluded that naming something "Tactical" is just a stupid marketing gimmick that advertising people use because they think it sounds sexy and exciting.

But I make an exception for the 5.11 Tactical trousers and use them in spite of their name because they are so well-made. Wink

I like them because they can be had in 100% cotton; they have lots of pockets; they have a double thickness of cloth in the seat and in the knees; and they're made with inside pockets in the knees for the insertion of knee pads.

The pads are fairly small, and fit snugly into the pockets. They're easily removable when you don't want to use them.

Here's what they look like.

Knee Pads

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Oday450,

I like the 5.11 Tactical trousers, even though I generally don't like anything with the word "Tactical" in its name.

What the hell is "Tactical" supposed to mean, anyway? I have concluded that naming something "Tactical" is just a stupid marketing gimmick that advertising people use because they think it sounds sexy and exciting.

But I make an exception for the 5.11 Tactical trousers and use them in spite of their name because they are so well-made. Wink

I like them because they can be had in 100% cotton; they have lots of pockets; they have a double thickness of cloth in the seat and in the knees; and they're made with inside pockets in the knees for the insertion of knee pads.

The pads are fairly small, and fit snugly into the pockets. They're easily removable when you don't want to use them.

Here's what they look like.

Knee Pads

They look pretty good. Which color did you get on the pants?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at any of the "what to bring" type forums to Africa, you will see gloves on most. I really do not shoot most of the time with gloves on nor do I wear them much in the states hunting unless real cold but I found the thorns and stickers and burs very unfriendly in Africa and whether crawling through the bush or just tracking they came in quite "handy" so to speak. Several times crawling I wish I had brought knee pads as well but only so much room for gear,, gloves can fit in a pocket when not worn. When I leave, it is one of the items I leave and they are well received. Normally soft leather deer skin type for me. If you go on a bird shoot like in south america for dove and you shoot 20,000 rounds of ammo,,, you will not have skin on either hand without gloves.I used water ski gloves for that hunt because I could wash them and dry them each night to get all the powder residue off them. Take them, whatever kind suits you.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For kneepads, I went by the local army surplus store and picked up a cheap pair just to stick in my truck bag. Unless you walk on your knees for a living I just can't see spending the money for a good construction type. Anyway, turned out I never had to use them.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I like the tundra and the grey... Guess what I am buying...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Thanks mr - I'll check these out. They look a lot better and more comfortable than the roofer's knee pads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
They look pretty good. Which color did you get on the pants?

I got the khakis and the dark greens and browns.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gloves will always protect your hands from the thorns etc. but they protect the backs of your hand from skin cancer too.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote