Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt for Saiga
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Not actually African, but it will be viewed most here. I was looking through a brochure and stumbled upon a saiga antelope hunt. I was wondering if anyone has hunted them before? They looked like they would be an interesting trophy, not sure about how challenging though.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I asked some booking agents about it. As you have stated they did not appreciate the animal and it is now closed to hunting. What a bummer.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, paid by screwing the pooch. I was looking seriously into hunting them 5 years ago, but wanted to combine it with another hunt of some kind. Well, I never got around to putting it together, kind of put it off till later, you know, now it's history. Real pisser!!!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they are hunted in Kazakhstan. I lived there in 2000 and 2001 and there was no real season or limits. The government officials hunted them from helicopters and via jeeps. They live in the very dry desert areas and are not much bigger than a duiker.

Frankly, they are about as ugly of a critter as I ever saw. If you go to KZ to hunt Saiga, hunt wolf as well. They are on the steppe in the western part of that empty country. I would contact Jeff Neal in Tulsa, Ok. for info on these. He would know if anyone would.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog--sounds like you are acquianted with my man, Jeff? Best agent going, in my view. I've been working with Jeff since '94, trust him totally to put together any hunt in the world. We've become pretty good friends over the years.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote