THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Botswana requiring US "license" to get rifle permit?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana requiring US "license" to get rifle permit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted
We're heading to Botswana in June for plains game at Kanana. Our PH just notified us that the Botswana police want a copy of our rifle "license" to grant us a rifle permit for our hunt.
Of course, in the US, we don't have rifle licenses. Anybody heard anything about this?

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet you use your 4457 from customs. That's what you use in South Africa and Namibia and Zim.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
That's what I was wondering too. If not, I don't know what the heck else we could provide them.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Just tell them it is your license. Africans, in general, love "official looking" paperwork.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ropati,

Many countries consider our 4457 as a gun permit/license/proof of ownership. As long as you have it with you your golden.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Thanks. I sure hope that's the case. We've replied back to the PH with that comment, but haven't heard back.

Rob

One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Just heard back from her. I guess that in Botswana and RSA people get issued a specific card/license for every rifle they own. Sounds pretty Obama-tastic. I told her we have no such thing. She's gonna take our 4457 form to the police station to see what they say.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ropati, you're not doing anyone a favor by taking it upon yourself to reconcile African law with U.S. law. Give them your 4457 and enjoy your safari.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even Australia wants to see a conceal-and-carry permit or registered membership in a gun/hunting club, otherwise you have to get your local police dept. to show proof that you are not under indictment and such to bring a gun there.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Botswana 4 times, each time we simply provided copies of our form 4457 and had no problem.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Just tell them it is your license. Africans, in general, love "official looking" paperwork.

Official looking letter-head and an official looking stamp will do wonders with an "official looking" African official.

quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Ropati, you're not doing anyone a favor by taking it upon yourself to reconcile African law with U.S. law. Give them your 4457 and enjoy your safari.

+1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
THAT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE AN OFFICIAL LOOKING AFRICAN OFFICIAL IS A CORRUPT IDIOT LOOKING FOR A BRIBE....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
THAT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE AN OFFICIAL LOOKING AFRICAN OFFICIAL IS A CORRUPT IDIOT LOOKING FOR A BRIBE....

I agree with you, SO WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
I have hunted in Botswana 4 times, each time we simply provided copies of our form 4457 and had no problem.

We hunted Botswana last year. However we flew into Windhoek, where we met the outfitter (Tholo Safaris), and drove over to Botswana. In the entire trip, the only place we had to present our 4457's was upon our return in the US. In Nambia and Botswana we just filled out their temporary gun permit forms,....and we were good to go.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
PH said this new "rule" went into effect last Wednesday. Keeping our fingers crossed, but I agree with the general consensus to smile and act like you own the place.

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I represent Kanana. If you need any assistance please feel free to give me a shout.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only place we had to present our 4457's was upon our return in the US

And it's not required in the US; customs just tries to intimidate you into believing it's required.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
the only place we had to present our 4457's was upon our return in the US

And it's not required in the US; customs just tries to intimidate you into believing it's required.

Proof of ownership is required. Sure, a receipt from a gun store should be sufficient, but, why fight the system? Especially when it's US Customs?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote