New
Find
Notify
Tools

African History VS American History
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The problem with current Afican Politics, stems from the fact that the British, and the rest of Europe, did not know how to play Cowboys and Indians.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Another question what stopped the Boers to trek into Botswana, Zimbabwe and settle in there as well as their own country like they did with the Free State and Transvaal?????

The British!

Can you imagine what paradise it would have been if South Africa comprised out of South Africa, Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baised on what I have seen of South Africa there was not near enough of Cowboys and Indians there either.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

stir

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Take it to the political forum.

But as long as you brought it up Wink,

When I fly over Africa and when I fly over the US, the most obvious difference is that the US is settled. There is not a blade of grass unmowed, a field not plowed. Compared to some large parts of Africa there is an insignificant amount of big game. In most States, you can hunt deer for about two weeks a year. A whoop big deal!

One cannot keep do-gooders at bay. Most of us old guys qould be already dead without modern medicine.

So time and population growth and idiot politicians will transform what is left of the US into one big suburban sprawl and Africa will become one big tribal urban squaller, where the game is gone and where many will feed on guilt-ridden foreign food stuffs because they are so disadvantaged, as they always have been viewed and will always be viewed until the end of time.

So...just consider yourself lucky that your insignificant time on this earth was, for a few moments, filled with those magical, game-filled days under the hot, African sun.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Lone Ranger: "Look Tonto, here comes 10 million Mashona & Matabele, and there lookin' to kill white men! We better find a good place to hide."

Tonto: "What do you mean WE, pale face!"

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You can add the U.S. in there when you talk about mishandling Africa as well.

We could have jumped in there and kept Ian Smith in as leader of Rhodesia with very little effort. But where were we??? Putting presure on South Africa to cut off supplies to Smith's army. Which I will never understand as Mugabe was North Korea trained and the Matabele guy from the south (whose name I can't remember) was trained in China I believe. And we, U.S., pretty much just watched it happen.

Then in South Africa, we pretty much supported the whole Nelson Mandelo anti-apartheid (sp?) thing as well.

So when pointing fingers about mishandling Africa, you have to point to U.S. as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, you really said a mouthfull. Couldn't agree more. I'm 64, so if I get in another Africa hunt or two, I'll be eternally grateful to the Gods of Hunting.

If you're a young guy contemplating an African hunt when you get a little older, don't wait. Do it now, and take the wife along, if she'll go. Everyone should see the place at least once before it goes away. I've traveled all over the world and there are many places I'd love to return to. but I'm going to have a friend scatter some of my ashes in the Selous. It's paradise, and how long will it last?

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, let´s be fair.
What is going wrong in africa is basically every man who can get some power uses it to his own personal gain and fights any opposition with meaningless bureaucracy and/or violence.
Who taugth them that? They didn´t make it up out of their own tribal culture.
Imagine how magnificent Africa once was and what it would be like if we hadn´t f***ed it up in the first place.
Then start slinging blame around...

The comparison to america would be that the brittish, and others, stopped while there was still a little left.

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tribalism is the main problem. And the Big Man. Neither of these developed from colonialism. Tribalism has always existed. Big Men, such as Mugabe, have, also. The introduction of the AK has a lot to do with strife in post Cold War Africa. And diamonds.

This discussion really belongs in the political forum.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, this thread is quite absurd. Tonto would never have said such a thing. Jay Silverheels perhaps, but not Tonto.

"This is all I have to say." - Chief Ten Bears

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Besides the dictatorial "Big Man" and "All for One" problems that beset nearly all African nations, modern day African political problems have a lot to do with the fact that the European powers carved up Africa into colonies with borders that suited themselves. They did this, as a general matter, without regard to tribal, ethnic, religious or any other local lines of affiliation or affinity, and those unnatural borders still survive today.

And don't kid yourself, the Europeans knew how to play "cowboys and indians" as well as their American counterparts. The European colonists were, however, thwarted by geography and disease, not to mention of course that they were vastly outnumbered, and these factors, together with "African nationalist" politics, led ultimately to the downfall of the colonies.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Self-imposed guilt and a lack of will to win, along with a back-stabbing USA, in great part led to the down fall of the colonies.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I find frustrating about the U.S.' role in (recent) S.A. history is the desire for immediate gratification. I think we can all agree - I hope - that aparthied was not the right thing. However demanding it change virtually overnight was and continues to be totally unrealistic. One of the most vocal Americans on the subject was Jimmy Carter. A man who spent the first half of his life living under essentially the same system (by another name) in the southern U.S.!
It took 100 years for segregation to officially end here and some issues - real or imagined - continue to persist fourty years after the official end. Yet S.A. was expected to turn 180 degrees overnight without problem.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Carter. Possibly one of the biggest fools that ever lived, except possibly for those that voted for him. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
possibly?

how about the biggest looser ever

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You might want to get prepared for another "Jimmy Carter like era".

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we can all agree - I hope - that aparthied was not the right thing.

What was so bad about aparthied?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Jimmy Carter. Possibly one of the biggest fools that ever lived, except possibly for those that voted for him. Smiler

I'll second that. The country's still paying for some of the mistakes he made.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The European colonists were, however, thwarted by geography and disease, not to mention of course that they were vastly outnumbered, and these factors, together with "African nationalist" politics, led ultimately to the downfall of the colonies.

It depends MR. WE (the US) had a lot to do with it. After WWII, we put a LOT of pressure on the colonial powers to divest themselves of thier empires under the notion of the "right of self-determination." A fine ideal on face value, but africa was about 100 years behind that concept and when you introduce communism, they could not win without US support. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree, jorge, and did not mean to discount those influences. The pressure was both external as well as internal.

The American pressure for majority rule, and the Russian communist support for radical nationalist causes (and the flood of AKs, RPGs, etc. that the Russians provided) were very big factors.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote