New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuskless Bulls?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How (un-)common are tuskless elephant bulls? I have read of them but very rarely. Can one be shot on a tuskless cow hunt? Are they more common (relatively) in some areas than others? Just had me wondering...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen one in the company with five other bulls. He was very large in body size and located in the Binga area of Zim.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
How (un-)common are tuskless elephant bulls? I have read of them but very rarely. Can one be shot on a tuskless cow hunt? Are they more common (relatively) in some areas than others? Just had me wondering...

Very uncommon. Yes, I understand that a tuskless bull is fair game when "tuskless" is on quota. Not sure about whether there are areas where they are more common.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Tuskless bulls in India are more common in Assam & virtually unknown in the south. They are called "Makhna".

They are much bigger in size and are more aggressive.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Uncommon, but fair game on a "tuskless" hunt. One had supposedly been seen in Dande when I was there last October. We chased a group of bulls one day thinking it might have been with them but we never caught up to the group. If we had caught them, and the tuskless bull was present, I was informed he was fair game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw one once on the Zambia side of the Zambezi while hunting out of Chewore North. I got some video of him, but nothing compelling.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In 2011 while hunting tuskless in Chifuti South, I had one in the boundary riverbed. Unfortunately our game ranger wanted a bribe to allow me to shoot him in the riverbed. Generally shooting game on/in the natural boundary between two areas is allowed. However, Neither PH Len Taylor nor I play the bribe game. So we watched until the three bulls winded us and took off at high speed. They crossed back into our area, but it was by then coming on dusk and we could not locate them.

They are rare and I really wanted to take him, but africa won again.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took one in Chete a few years ago. Only one I have ever seen in over 2,000 elephants.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I saw one this past May in a park in Namibia called Nambwa. It's along the Chobe river. Spent a day there sight seeing after taking my elephant bull with Karl Stumpfe.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took one in August in Dande South. Of the PHs in camp they had seen about 5 of them in all their combined years (probably 75 years hunting).

From the posts above, it sounds like there might be a (relative) concentration in that Dande/Chewore area.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first ele bull was a tuskless bull commonly called "bigfoot" in Dande East. Buzz, etc. know of him. I shot him on a trophy and cow elephant (in 2005 Zim changed the law from no cows and gave me a tuskless tag as well as a trophy tag). If someone can help me post I will send you a photo. Skull is at a well known PH's house and in his opinion one of the biggest skulls he has seen. I was also almost on one in Dande South in 2009 while hunting lion but we did not see him. Maybe that one was the one TrademarkTexan managed to get.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
saw several in zambia

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I can only recall our company taking 2 tuskless bulls ,we just copleted 2 managment hunts in Rifa both bulls we shot had tusks on one side and where tuskless on the other side .

Posts: 28 | Location: Bulawayo Zimbabwe | Registered: 25 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot one in Makuti in 2011, large body and tall.
Regards
Stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will probably be my next hunt in Zimbabwe. Talked about it at SCI show with Chifuti and the guy (sorry escapes me at the moment) who lost his arm due to a ND by a client. Awesome guy my wife really liked him and want to give it a go. With Buffalo. Heard it was "exciting" hunt

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Be like looking for a needle in haystack. Have at it.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mike on that,I would be very surprised if anyone would book you on a tuskless bull hunt?

A tuskless hunt , and if you see one then go for it yes , but a specific tuskless bull hunt I think not.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant tuskless COW. Sorry

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'v only seen 3 or 4. Very rare and should never be the goal of a tuskless hunter. Kind of like looking for a grizzly with a drop tine!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I'v only seen 3 or 4. Very rare and should never be the goal of a tuskless hunter. Kind of like looking for a grizzly with a drop tine!

clap rotflmo

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote