Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Claws - Mount or Display?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I am curious what others who mounted a lion have done with the claws. In my mount, they would be retracted and therefore not visible. If not with the mount, what else can be done with the claws besides having them end up in a Ziploc in a desk drawer... Thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paperweight on some nice wood?

Necklace if you want to look like Rambo?

It is a nice problem to have anyway.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I have some in a shadow box with floating bones from all my cats and some other small but special items and they look very nice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
You could do both, sort of. Your taxidermist can replace the real claws on your mount with reproduction claws and then you can have the real claws for your desk drawer. You don't have to do the whole set either, you can do just a few if you want. Oftentimes, I do this with bear claws for clients.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You just have to have a necklace made out of those claws...I can see you now...running through the bush in your loincloth, knife in your teeth, double rifle in hand, chasing wild critters! Hell you would look like a short haired version of John Sharp! jumping

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Coffee table with a glass shadow box style top with your lion claws, and other small mementos of your hunts... empty brass, teeth, bones, pictures... etc

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Leave them in the mount. The entire claw does not show in the retracted position but the tips often show and the toes would not look accurate without them. The claws rest against the side of the second toe bone and if they are removed there will be extra space in this area of the toe. It will either be tucked in or filled in creating an anatomically incorrect toe.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I had mine "finished" by a jeweler so they would not crack, and capped with gold. I gave one to my wife to use as a pendant, and a few others as gifts. I wear the biggest one, on occasion, on a leather strap and it is not only beautiful but a reminder of a wonderful hunt. They also can be used to make a great bolo tie. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote