New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPRC hunting in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back in July before I left for a trip to Africa, there was a discussion about getting black powder to Africa to hunt with. It was generally felt that doing so was not capable of being done. While in Rep of South Africa, I checked around, and was told, it IS possible to get BP there, BUT, you need to obtain the services of someone with a BP certification and license, as you yourself won't be able to do so. So, it would appear that if someone wants to go BP hunting, in RSA at least, they would only need to contact a PH with a BP certification and license to source their powder. Once there, there should be no problem taking it into Zimbabwe or the other states/countries bordering RSA. Namibia, Botswana and Namibia. That's the story, for what it's worth. Check around a find a PH/guide, who's certified in BP hunting, and have them source your powder. Probably be reasonable to use them as your PH while there too. If I remember right , the person making the inquiry was planning on hunting with a BPCR, but taking the loading components, less the powder, and loading it over there, would not seem to be a problem. When I mention being certified, RSA has a system, where you must take classes, and become "certified" in the particular discipline you want to hunt in. You then take the certification to the police, with your petition to be granted a license and submit it, and then wait. The husband of the family I stayed with was putting in to get a license to buy a S&W pistol in a 455 Webley caliber. His petition to be granted a license had to list all the reasons he wanted it, etc. and that he was a great guy, etc. amounted to 12 pages, including documentation. If he gets it quick, will be 90 days. If not quick, when it happens. A few years ago, he was trying to buy a 375 Ruger, and the time for the police to okay it, went by, so had to reapply. Something else over there. when folks go to the range, they have their shot targets certified by someone at the range, and then scan and download it, to send to the police license folks, to show them they are using their gun, so that they will be seen as someone who does. If you don't, there's the chance that your renewal of your license to own it, might be denied. A number of people did not get their renewals filed in time, and were not approved. A law suit was filed, and the courts recently held that not only were they not going to allow them to be granted, but that non timely filing was a felony, so not only would the licenses not be granted, but the firearms owners had to turn them in to the police, and would not be allowed to file for future licenses as now had a felony. BTW, in RSA, you MUST have a license for any particular firearm and caliber you want to buy ammo for. If you don't. You can't. IF you sell a firearm, you must then also dispose of all ammo, etc., for it. NOT somewhere we would want to have to live.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I might be out of touch with the most recent news but think you'll find that BP is now very hard to buy in SA because Somchem stopped production some time ago. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just this morning, I was sent several pictures from Zim by an American. Some of the pictures clearly had a black powder rifle I it. How he obtained it in/got it to Zim, I do not know. He did it somehow.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just there for 2 months and visited a number of gun shops in the Joburg area, and Pretoria. They didn't say it was easy to get, but could be sourced, in needed. Big problem is you have to find someone certified in BP shooting and has a license to have it, to get it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a not-so-large but dedicated following for BP in Zimbabwe, and they even have their own national association. Many of them shoot original firearms and many of them shoot cartridge firearms. What they do is grind down blasting powder, which is a commercial grade of BP. It's a little dryer, but once it's in the right grain size it works well enough. You could get this in Zimbabwe. The thing to be careful of, is if you bring in BP from South Africa it would be classified as blasting powder under Zimbabwe law. Technically - and there is probably NO chance you'd ever get caught, but just be aware - you need a portable magazine approved by the Ministry of Mines to transport it, and permits separate to those for your firearm and ammo, also from the Ministry of Mines to possess it, &c., &c. Then, as if all that isn't enough, you would need to make sure, if you were hunting buff, elephant, &c., that your BP firearm achieved 5.3kJ of energy at the muzzle. Nobody thinks of these things now, but National Parks is enquiring about purchase of chronographs and scales. Probably never happen, but...

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think if you are using a BPCR you would not have a problem taking loaded cartridges in. They don't check what powder you have in a case. I know several people that have hunted with BPCRs and had no problems bringing in ammo. Using a muzzleloader would be another matter.

I remember a post where someone said to bring the muzzleloader and a BPCR with loaded ammo and just pull the bullets and pour the powder in the front stuffer. The ammo would be like quick loaders if you load them with the charge you intend to use. Not sure on the legalities of this so take it for what it is worth

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
I would think if you are using a BPCR you would not have a problem taking loaded cartridges in. They don't check what powder you have in a case. I know several people that have hunted with BPCRs and had no problems bringing in ammo. Using a muzzleloader would be another matter.

I remember a post where someone said to bring the muzzleloader and a BPCR with loaded ammo and just pull the bullets and pour the powder in the front stuffer. The ammo would be like quick loaders if you load them with the charge you intend to use. Not sure on the legalities of this so take it for what it is worth

Good Lord. Here we go again.

horse

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:

I knew an outdoor writer who did that but with shotgun shells.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

In my world "It probably will be fine" is not good enough. Forget bringing BP with you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See in the information forum below.

BP is an explosive. It’s banned.

If folks start playing games, all of us will get ammo banned on flights.

Don’t look for creative ways to get around the rules.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote