THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    16 yards Elephant and 500 N.E. Video
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 yards Elephant and 500 N.E. Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot!
What you propose would not be impossible but improbable, unadvisable, illegal, and completely impracticle. It would take to much time and space to do a complete response on why I feel that way, so I suggest you pick up a copy of Ron Thompson's book Mahohboh. He does a good job of detailing the dificulties and complexities of culling whole herds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addendum to my last post, I don't know why any sportsman would want to to do a herd cull. It is not hunting unless you get your kicks from shooting 1/3, 1/2 and baby elephants. It is not a pretty sight and one I certainly would not want to be a part of. If I was a Parks officer I would do it if that was my assignment but there certainly would be no joy there.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After talking to those who were heavily involved with the culls (like Harland), I understand there was a tremendous mental strain on the shooters and more so for culling ele than for buff. I'm not aware of much mental strain for buffalo hunters in the old West or the cullers in Australia for example.

I am also not aware of any elephant relocations that were all that successful. Any time you relocate an "apex" animal like the elephant or a big predator (lions, bears, wolves, etc), it does not seem to be very effective in the long term results. I would be interested in reading any reports that state otherwise.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote