New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clothes I Wear On Safari
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I was asked what clothes I wear on safari.

I like cargo trousers with several pockets, and like them comfortable.

The past couple of years, I used UNIONBAY from Amazon.

For shirts I have been using FOX FIRE also from Amazon.

The colors are perfect for safari, and both makes are very comfortable to wear.

How they stand in wear and tear I have no idea, as I leave them for the trackers at the end of the safari.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
Carhartt stuff is great!

If you have a Carhartt store near you, check it out. Can be ordered online, but in the stores they clear a lot of stuff out for next to nothing. A lot of times the "ugly" colors I'm looking for end up last on the rack.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Buzz's Mankini choice...nice and light, but hard to find in colors other than white :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I personally don't think "Safari Clothes" are necessary. Any light weight, quiet cotton clothes in earth tones will work just fine.
Put your money into your hunt not into a lot of unnecessary safari accoutrement.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

When I read the thread title I was a little concerned you fell on hard times and were trying to sell your used clothes. Eeker

Regards
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Tag Safari.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

I personally don't think "Safari Clothes" are necessary. Any light weight, quiet cotton clothes in earth tones will work just fine.
Put your money into your hunt not into a lot of unnecessary safari accoutrement.

Mark

+1

Many an African animal has succumbed to that wicked camouflage pattern known as button down plaid. Wink

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Tag Safari.

I used some of there items one time and one time only.

The shirts and pants ripped when snagged walking in the bush. While 100% cotton was nice, the stitching was not the best and became frayed on the shirts. The shorts were the best item that i purchased. Like Saeed i leave almost all my clothing in camp when my hunt is over. Big item is socks, everyone wants socks in camp. So now i take along like 12 pr of new socks to pass out.

so now i take wrangler black pants, wear like iron, any basic dark green or grey shirts will work...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have a nice supply of Boyt Harness Shirts, Jackets and a couple vests. Pity they aren't being made anymore but with some luck I'm good to go for the next 20 years of hunting.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

Mark

AGree with Mark. I leave all of mine behind anyway as the locals seem to like them, even though I am an XL and the are XS.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I used my old olive drab casual "dockers" and cabelas used to have a very reasonably price long sleeve safari shirt with bellows pockets.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear Cinches or Wranglers, desert boots or walking tennis type shoes that are mesh so they dry quickly, always water to cross, give them away before I return, they are usually black from walking in burns. some for clothes....long sleeve drab shirts, med weight. a tetsi can bite through the thin stuff..ball cap or my cowboy hat..I have a light weight mesh hood in my pocket and light gloves Im anti tetsi, I hate the little bastards..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Saeed,

When I read the thread title I was a little concerned you fell on hard times and were trying to sell your used clothes. Eeker

Regards
Jim

rotflmo

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Cheapest route yet. I follow in the footsteps of John Taylor. I wear only shoes and a turban.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have an original Ahamed Bros. of Nairobi vest if anyone really wants to harken back...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed,

Regards
Jim

Jim,

I do chose my friends very carefully!

If Walter ever thought of selling my used clothes, I will give him a choice of being either crocodile or hyena bait! rotflmo

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I liked was the Cabelas Serengeti shirt which they no longer make. It was fairly heavy cotton for protection. It had inside breast zipper pockets and I carried my small camera in the left zippered pocket and my passport in the other both in ziplock bags. The outer pockets were over the inner zippered pockets with the left one having provisions to hold four large caliber cartridges. You could button down over the cartridges but I found that you can unload you double rifle when getting back in the truck and when you load the rifle again you still have two cartridges in the pocket. That allowed VERY quick reloading of your double rifle as the cartridges were in your line of sight and easy to grasps as a pair. I hope Cabelas reintroduces this shirt.

For pants any comfortable light to medium weight cargo pant works well as you can put a bottle of water in the thigh pocket.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For so many years in the past, I used to wear CAMFIS clothes.

They changed their models, and went into all the silly new styles which were totally useless for my purpose.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation of Carharrt for pants. I’ve bought mine for very reasonable prices on EBAY. For shirts, I’ve bought Cabela’s Serengeti shirts when they were available. The right breast pocket has a zipper, and holds a US Passport perfectly. The sleeves have epaulettes, which are handy for securing rolled up sleeves as the temps heat up later in the day. As the sun goes down, I roll the sleeves back down to stay warm for the drive back to camp in the evening.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Wear what is most comfortable and no chaps these are not my feet.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Glad you finally shaved your legs.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a number of years, I've come down to this. Carhartt jeans, they come in green, and TAG shirts.

I do snug down all the buttons on the TAG shirts before I leave and only count on them for one trip, especially in the thorns, but some have made a couple of trips. Used to use the TAG pants, but they can get shredded. The Carhartt pants hold up a lot better and are more tsetse proof.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll second Buzz's Mankini choice...nice and light, but hard to find in colors other than white :-)

And that, my friends, is one very good reason to avoid Very NW NJ, up in the "mountains".

Dang, I can hear the banjos from here !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Glad you finally shaved your legs.

Danish hunting boots!! I have seen those in Zim once Big Grin Miss J I presume.

Posts: 193 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old German army trousers and green shirt with long sleeves.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olive colored cargo pants from Columbia and green canvas "Redhead" shirts from Bass Pro. Both held up fine. I had some Tag Safari shirts that that I tried before going but the stitching failed.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeans, long sleeve cotton shirt, Vasque hiking boots and a baseball hat to cover my white hair.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
I have also experienced a clothing malfunction or two while wearing Tag Safari clothing.

However, I still prefer to support Tag’s Bulawayo based clothing factory that sources it’s cotten from local farmers instead of a clothing factory located in either Vietnam or China.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrangler jeans in olive or moss or whatever name they call green.
Columbia cotton fishing shirts that I normally wear about eight months out of the year.
Georgia Boot desert boots.
Usually a DSC hat.

Posts: 553 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that, my friends, is one very good reason to avoid Very NW NJ, up in the "mountains".

Dang, I can hear the banjos from here !

Paul, don't worry...you're no Burt Reynolds. Come to think of it, I wish you were (he's dead) !!!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last couple of times around I have had a sprinkle of Under Armour, Filson, Orvis, and Russell or Lowa boots. I also found I like the pants made by Kuhl. They have good colors plus these things fit and can stretch.

All of the Under Armour, and most of the other stayed there. If its says UA on it they want it. I kept the boots though. Boots are a tough enough one on me as is.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tag shorts, Columbia Bonehead shirts, Courtney boots.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The most frightening safari outfit I ever saw was when Saeed posted a photo of Walter on safari in drag.

I am still shuddering. Eeker

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Anything 'Walterable' is funny! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
Tag shorts, Columbia Bonehead shirts, Courtney boots.

Yep, I am obsessed with Columbia Bonehead shirts. They make the perfect hunting shirt.
I have almost 200 x of them ..........

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Tag, Boyt, Game Gear, whatever fits. Africa is not that different than Texas or Argentina. Tag buttons do suck, but they can send extras or clothing stores can do the same. It ain’t rocket science.

However, I do wish I had created camo patterns that made many millionaires. My grandfather dressed like Elmer Fudd in red plaid flannel. He didn’t have a problem. Waterfowl and migratory birds do need more, though.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to Walmart and buy OD and Khakis from the trendy section. Just make sure the fabric is soft by running your fingernail against the grain.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was invited moose hunting in Sweden in 1980.

We arrived in the norther part of the country, and as we were getting ready in the morning, I discovered that I needed some blaze orange clothes.

I did not have any!

Then my host’s father comes with a woolen, blaze orange pajama!

It was either not going hunting, or wearing it.

I wore it, to the great laughter of everyone! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear shorts,a baseball cap and short sleeve shirts.I will bring a tough pair of pants along too in case my legs get too scratched up.The shorts and shirt are made by Tag.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two safari jackets from Boyts...one in khaki and one in olive drab...cant hunt ele without one of those..

Else is shorts or some long pants..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote