Find
Notify
Tools

Bummer!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My wife, oldest son and I are headed to Zimbabwe to hunt leopard/sable with SSG Safaris in just a couple of weeks. Tonight my son called and said he can't go. Do to the diminishing economy, he can't leave his business that long and expect it to survive. I'm really going to miss him on this safari, but I'm also a bit miffed about loosing the $2,700 in non-refundable airfare I bought on his behalf!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch... Perhaps its transferable????

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Dang. Bummer is right.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Damn shame sorry you have to go through this.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this.

How come you are loosing the air fair?

With our airline tickets we get the option of cancelling, we only lose about $50?!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67376 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear that

take along one of your friends that have never been to Africa and change his life forever.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your son is going to regret that decision.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that those who are gifted trips to Africa don't seem to appreciate it as much as those who pay their own way. I wonder if he would have canceled if he had paid the $2,700 himself.....

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I have been in similar situations.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I am more than bloody sure that there is someone who would love to take advantage of that ticket.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Scott:

Knowing you and some of your family (and looking forward to the dinner we have planned in Jackson this summer!) I know it about killed your son to cancel. He wouldn't do that if he thought he had any real options.

As to the ticket, I had to cancel a trip to Tanzania last year, but I was able to talk Delta into a credit for a trip within 12 months of the purchase of the cancelled flight.... so I'm on my way to Zimbabwe on May 31st. Unfortunately, the re-booking usually must be in the same name as the prior flight (but don't give up yet!). Call the airline and beg, whine, moan, cry, etc.

Here's another option that might work. If your son uses the credit for a flight somewhere cheaper than the Zim flight, he just may be issued a credit for the remaining value that is transferable to anyone. That was offered to me before Sandy gave me the go-a-head to get my butt to Africa again.

I'd call the airline and ask for customer service. If (and it is a big "if") you get the right person (and if you don't, ask for a supervisor... they have more authority), you may be surprised what they will do for you.

I'd be glad to talk to you about my latest journey through the airline maze if you want to call.

It took me several hours, but I finally got booked to a different destination and saved myself a bunch of money and my change fees weren't but $200 or so.

Saeed, there are so many "classes" of tickets, even in the same class, it boggles the mind to consider which are (and which are not) non-refundable, re-issuable, penalty free, etc. If you read the restrictions/penalties on a "y" class Delta ticket, for instance, plan to spend 30 minutes trying to understand what you've bought (and you still won't know for sure).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy Easter Everyone!
As a business owner, I am also staying home this year.
It's killing me, but I know it's the right thing to do for me.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Don't be too miffed with your son...although he will regret it eternally! Unfortunately it is a sign of the times and this Obama economy in which we try to live these days. I too have had to postpone Africa plans due to the economy...or as I put it the Obomony.

Taking my father to Africa with me was one of the best things I have ever done or experienced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have noticed that those who are gifted trips to Africa don't seem to appreciate it as much as those who pay their own way. I wonder if he would have canceled if he had paid the $2,700 himself.....

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I have been in similar situations.

It's called responsibility. Sometimes hard choices must be made.

Judge, good advice.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
It's called responsibility. Sometimes hard choices must be made.
+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One possibility is to take a wounded vet from the sand box with you as an observer. The airline would have a hard time turning that one down.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Delta customer service ( who were very nice by the way ) suggested I e-mail Delta via their web page compliment/complaint link and follow-up with a phone call on Monday to their corporate office.

I have done that. We will see what happens.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Hate that Scott...I know you were looking forward to the family trip. Man I fly Delta almost exclusively, and whenever I have to cancel a ticket, I always get 12 months credit (and I think a $150 change fee).

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I will go, I will go ... Pick me pick me!!!!
dancing dancing nilly nilly dancing

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer is right. My son and I are scheduled for August at Omay North. His first trip. I am really looking forward to it. My business has slowed down as well, but I'm going anyway.

BTW, I left two new trail cams and a Caldwell field pod with Nixon, just for Leopard hunting.

Good Luck

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT-

airline reps. have quite a bit of autonomy & "lattitude" re:decisions they can make...Don't stop at the 1st "no" Hang in there, keep calling (and waiting on hold, I know) but you'll eventually get a rep. whose personality, job position, agreeability, etc. will be in your favor & they'll work something out...A cash refund won't happern, but use of the ticket at a later date, with a fee, is likely, from my experiences...Best of luck!

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
What! No refund on a non-refundable ticket?
The nerve of some airlines.
Wink

Being nice will likely get you something from them. Most customer service people are so used to getting cussed and yelled at on the phone often turn out to be rather generous when someone nice comes along.

Good luck.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Sorry to hear about your son having to cancel. I am sure this was not a easy decison for him.

Good luck on the sable and leopard.

I am looking forward to a report.

Hartley.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never think I can leave my business.

But then I remember the world's cemeteries are filled with indispensable people.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote