THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What to say when people think you are going on a "photo" safari
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to say when people think you are going on a "photo" safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
I refuse to participate in PC, "picking up a turd by the clean end" as someone on the forum says. I simply say no, I am a hunter.

My son who needs a grade from the feminist prof who thinks , "white men evil, everyone else good" has to put up with it, I don't, one of the few advantages of being an old fart.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can tell them your trip becomes a photo safari after you shoot the animal. Its makes it a lot easier to get your picture taken with them.

Actually once you tell the layman that you are hunting in Africa, all kinds of questions pop up and while a majority would not do it, they are amazed in inquisitive.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it when people look at a picture of me with something I just shot and ask how I got that animal to stay still. Really.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I make no apologies to anyone about my hunting safaris and tell them that I am going on a hunting safari, not a photo safari. I also usually end up explaining to them that the meat is left and either given or sold the the locals, that I get the hide and horns for taxidermy and that I infuse quite a bit of money into the economy and into wildlife conservation with daily rates, trophy fees, tourism monies, etc. That usually ends up suficiently educating them.

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
I like it when people look at a picture of me with something I just shot and ask how I got that animal to stay still. Really.

Big Grin

I've had them ask how I was able to get that close. LOL

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My throw down answer to the question, "You killed a,_ _ _ _ _ ? is,
"Yes, I killed it. NOt only did I kill it, I took it's horns and hide. When ever possible I ate it's flesh!"

That usually stops the conversation!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are not alone.

I find it amazing how fast people get defensive or offensive when asked a simple question. I talk about hunting like other people talk about their pasttimes. I've never found that I've offended anyone by saying I hunt, and I've never been offended by a response, positive or negative. I have two trophy pictures on my desk. Some people are curious, some aren't. I'm not offended either way. Sometime I discover another hunter when he comments on the photos. I don't try to rub the photos in peoples' faces. Hunters with a hard-on do the rest of us a lot of damage.

As to saying safari when they mean photo-safari, that does bug me. It drove me crazy watching a show on Discovery or National Geographic. It was this lady in India going to hopefully sight a tiger. Everytime she got in a car, out of bed, on an elephant, went to the bathroom, she mentioned she was going "on safari". It was a little much.

When people tell me they are going to Africa, or going on safari, I don't assume anything. I ask. Depending on their answer I am either interested or not.

Some hunters I think walk around hoping to be offended. As I mentioned, they do a real poor job of PR for the rest of us.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I've done photo trips to Africa, and I've done hunting trips to Africa. Both have their place, and I've enjoyed both. Most people I tell about upcoming trips know me well enough to not jump to conclusions when I tell them I'm making a trip to Africa.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply tell anyone who asks that question, "No. I'm going on a real safari! I mean in the traditional, 'me Tarzan, you Jane' sense of the word."

Then the questions start flying. Most folks are aghast and want to know more. It's amazing how many people think that Africa and Kenya are synonomous with each other, and that, like in Kenya, hunting is not allowed.

They ususally end up getting a 30-minute lesson on the quantity and quality of wildlife in hunting countries vs. non-hunting countries, which they seem to appreciate.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
I don't let people get confussed... I tell them I'm going hunting when I got to Africa. No need to say its a 'safari' because to me there really is no such thing anymore. Real or wanabe... Teddy Roosevelt went on Safari, the rest of us go to a dude ranch or on a camping trip with someone who knows whats going on. IMO the only 'real' safari left would be a self guided trip. Meaning... you book everything, show up find a tracker, buy supplies etc. Ya know a true expidition. Not sure how flying in to some place and haveing posh accomodations and great food equates to an 'expidition'... Wink

I work with a lot of non hunters here in Baltimore, and find that 95% of them are intersted in my adventures.

The thing thats always funny, is they inevitably ask what animals I shot (or caught). The ONLY animals that any of them know with regular consistency are, warthog, zebra and wildebeest, and of course the big 5, but when it comes to plains game animals. Not a clue. I'll bet the average person couldnt' name 10 African animals.

Another funny thing is that I'll bet 8 out of 10 times they'll ask if I hunted an elephant.

Everyone was blown away at the size the eland I shot last week, not so much by the horns but by the body. Not a single one of them (about 20 so far) had ever heard of the largest antelope in Africa either.

Most all ask what I did with them, I said it goes to feed the hungry, and that I had the hides tanned to make things out of.

Well, Ivan, I had a friend who actually did what you suggested back in 1990. He arrived in Cameroon for his hunt and discovered no PH, no guides, no trackers, only a teenage boy who spoke a little French. My friend almost got back on the plane, but decided to try it anyway, hunting Africa essentially alone. He did it for something over two weeks and came back out of the bush as happy as can be. I think that was his favorite safari of all time.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I want to reiterate that we should not dodge this question or give in to the politically correct pseudo know-it-alls.

This is my office in Boston, which generally makes the point of what kind of safari I am planning without the need for much explanation:

Still, I have had people ask some of the silliest questions.

Are those real?

Well, they were alive once.

Where did you get them?

I didn't get them. I hunted them in Africa, killed them and brought them home.

You didn't!

Yes, I did.

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not.

Really?

Yes.

Wow! They're huge! What are they, water buffalo [or wildebeest]?

No, they're African cape buffalo.

Are they dangerous?

Look at them. What do you think?

Do they kill people?

All the time.

They're beautiful.

Thanks. I think so, too.

Where did you shoot them to kill them?

In the heart.

What did you use?

A really big rifle.

And on and on and on . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I do not see anything wrong in saying that I will go to a big game safari, with my rifle. I think it's an activity like any other, what happens is that many people have too many prejudices.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I always see this as an opportunity to enlighten the ignorant. I get to climb up on my soapbox and explain that elephants are not endangered and that when hunting is banned like in Kenya, most of the wildlife is destroyed. I further explain the economic benefits of the hunting safari business and how much more the typical hunting safari contributes to the economy than a photo safari. The usual response is generally "Wow, I didn't know that!"
Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance concerning what we do, but these people are not bad or fools, they are mostly just uninformed.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

How about "I'm going on safari too but I'll be hunting". Often times rather than getting some aghast bunny hugger reaction you might get a "Really! I didn't know people still did that." Gives you the opportunity to enlighten them rather than alienate them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Are they dangerous?

Look at them. What do you think?

Do they kill people?

All the time.

Priceless beer

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Photographic safaris feed egos and practically no one else.

No trackers, no skinners, no Educated PH's just a moron bus driver scamming a buck.

Economically they are insignificant. Educationally, there are NO requirements. Environmentally, they have zero impact (which means they don't help!!!).

I dislike the fact this pompous, completely disconnected from reality pursuit even exists.

What do I say? "Have a good time in Africa!" When they ask why I went on Safari they get an earful.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rest my case.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:

No trackers, no skinners, no Educated PH's just a moron bus driver scamming a buck.

Economically they are insignificant. Educationally, there are NO requirements. Environmentally, they have zero impact (which means they don't help!!!).

I dislike the fact this pompous, completely disconnected from reality pursuit even exists.

What do I say? "Have a good time in Africa!" When they ask why I went on Safari they get an earful.

But I like to take pictures! Confused

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I always see this as an opportunity to enlighten the ignorant. I get to climb up on my soapbox and explain that elephants are not endangered and that when hunting is banned like in Kenya, most of the wildlife is destroyed. I further explain the economic benefits of the hunting safari business and how much more the typical hunting safari contributes to the economy than a photo safari. The usual response is generally "Wow, I didn't know that!"
Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance concerning what we do, but these people are not bad or fools, they are mostly just uninformed.

Good response Blacktailer.

Regards,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
Show them photos of African kids that benefit from hunting and game conservation vs those that don't!

Also; Outside of a few highly "govt. subsidized" parks, You can do a similar comparison of the health and well being of the animal herds where hunting is not allowed.

Best Regards

Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving on my first safari in 31 days, and have been asked about it frequently. I prefer the religous explanation: If God didn't want me to shoot them, He wouldn't have made them such good targets. Rich.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are, without doubt, the biggest jack ass I've ever run across. That said, photographers have to fly the same airlines hunters do, stay in the same hotels, eat at the same restaurants, pay the salaries of those who run the camps as well as those who work there (you know, cooks, waiters, housekeepers, owners, to mention a few), buy the same items in country as hunters do, etc., etc., etc.

I guess you're just too narrow minded to understand and accept that hunters are just tourists too. They spend a bit more on trophy fees but thet are still tourists.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I absolutely enjoyed the 9 nine day photo safari after my hunt in Botswana. I traveled many ecosystems and saw such an abundance of wildlife that I would have never seen on my hunt. I love to hunt, but the experiences I enjoyed on photo safari were on par with my hunt.

I am doing the same thing next month. Hunt in RSA NW Province for a week and then photo safari in Kwah Zulu Natal on the east coast for a week.

Killing is not the objective. Being a part of it is. I love to hunt as much as any of you, but Africa is an experience un-matched.

Having a hyena, bull elephant, honey badger (different nights) stroll into camp while sitting at the camp fire after dinner is a memorable experience, and that was on photo safari.

I woke one morning and as we tore down our tents, I realized that the elephants that kept us in our tents when we got up that morning, had stepped within 18" of where my head was the during the night.

Wouldn't trade the photo safari for anything. Almost as much fun as hunting.

Big Guy, kiss my arse. Narrow minded.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I was at a business conference after my Botswana hunt and photo safari, and a nice lady was watching intently. She remarked how wonderful my slide show was, and how did I possibly get those animals to sit still while I took the photos. I told her I shot them first, then they cooperated with the photo scenes. She scoffed, and made a 90 degree turn and stormed away. How nieve.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember who on the forum stated it so perfectly, but the repsonse when asked why you like to hunt, "I like the sound they make when they fall"..............

Quite literally almost every person I talk to about my safari is initially mortified. "You cant hunt those"...."I thought they were endangered". If you know you facts and have any communication skills it is easy to make a reasonable and/or uninformed person understand the merits of hunting. Dont back away..I keep photos of my trophies on my cell phone and iPOD and love to share them with anyone!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
quote:

You are, without doubt, the biggest jack ass I've ever run across. That said, photographers have to fly the same airlines hunters do, stay in the same hotels, eat at the same restaurants, pay the salaries of those who run the camps as well as those who work there (you know, cooks, waiters, housekeepers, owners, to mention a few), buy the same items in country as hunters do, etc., etc., etc.

I guess you're just too narrow minded to understand and accept that hunters are just tourists too. They spend a bit more on trophy fees but thet are still tourists.

I have nothing against photo safaris, and all the stuff that you mention both hunters and photographers paying for while on safari, I agree with. But all those costs combined (with the exeption of airfare) are a small fraction of the cost for a hunter. The "A bit more" on trophy fees is about 70 jor 80% of my upcoming trip, again excluding airfare. Some friends of mine who went on a photo safari spent about 25% of what I'm spending on my trip. And my hunt is a long way from being considered expensive. That being said, I don't agree with the hostility toward photo safaris expressed above, but it's nothing compared to the hostility we get from anti-hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rholden
I am a photographer and a hunter. You make it sound like because you spend more money on a hunting safari than I would on a photo safari you are somehow better. Big deal who spends more money, we are both out there for the adventure and the memories. Some of my best memories were on deer hunts that cost me practically nothing. Does that make them not as worthy as my African safaris? Its not all about the money

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkside:
rholden
I am a photographer and a hunter. You make it sound like because you spend more money on a hunting safari than I would on a photo safari you are somehow better. Big deal who spends more money, we are both out there for the adventure and the memories. Some of my best memories were on deer hunts that cost me practically nothing. Does that make them not as worthy as my African safaris? Its not all about the money

Darkside,

I think you missed my point. My first sentence was "I have nothing against photo safaris" I also stated that I "don't agree with the hostility toward photo safaris" I was simply commenting on the comparison of costs between the two as referenced to the post I responded to (not to belittle photographers). When it comes to economic impact on african countries, the hunter spends more than the photographer, which contributes more to perserving that which we all love. I was also commenting on the fact, that nothing posted here comes near the personal hatred spewed forth by the anti-hunting crowd. I my self am going on a photo safari for several days after my hunt, and I promise not to think less of myself for it. Everyone needs to quit lookin for a fight around here. To quote a dipshit "Can't we all just get along?"

One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I was sitting in my duck blind one morning marveling at the world and pondering the value and rightiousness of hunting. The answer appeared right out of the heavens! So I took a quick photo then picked up my gun and "had a very nice day"!

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rholden:
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
quote:

I have nothing against photo safaris, and all the stuff that you mention both hunters and photographers paying for while on safari, I agree with. But all those costs combined (with the exeption of airfare) are a small fraction of the cost for a hunter. The "A bit more" on trophy fees is about 70 jor 80% of my upcoming trip, again excluding airfare. Some friends of mine who went on a photo safari spent about 25% of what I'm spending on my trip. And my hunt is a long way from being considered expensive. That being said, I don't agree with the hostility toward photo safaris expressed above, but it's nothing compared to the hostility we get from anti-hunters.

For the record, not that anyone will read it nor actually care.

My last point in my post, that a few seemed to miss was I tell folks going on photo-safari to have a good time in Africa. "Have a good time in Africa!" is indeed what I say and mean. Those who have been offended have even quoted that portion of my post in the process of flaming me. So apparently I wasn't clear enough. I'll say it again, "Have a good time in Africa!" What I mean by this is ultimately, I respect what an individual has decided to do.

I also like to take pictures.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also like to take pictures.

I agree that way too many here are seemingly spoiling for an argument.

Saying that a real safari involves hunting is not the same as saying that so-called "photo safaris" are somehow inherently wrong.

But it is true that for the most part they are more like visiting the zoo than viewing and photographing (or hunting, for that matter) truly wild animals.

And for the record, I also like to take pictures. It's just that I especially like to take pictures of large, old male game animals that I have just hunted and killed. Big Grin

Like others, I have found that they are definitely more inclined to sit still for you once they have expired. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying AR for years and have never felt impelled to respond to a post until this one. I can't ignore these statements without adding my own thoughts.

I've been hunting in Africa twice. In 2002 with my husband and his friend and in 2006 with my husband, our kids and friends (family of 4). My 11 year old son has a hartebeest hanging above his bed and my 13 yr old daughter has a black wildebeest hanging on her bedroom wall. I don't hunt but I know what the hunting is all about and I really enjoy going. After that first hunting trip I knew I had to go back to Africa and I've been back every year since then. On photo trips.

The camp I went to in 2004 & 2006 and will go to again in two weeks has 25 rooms (50 guests) and is on 33000 acres in a prime spot full of wildlife. They employ 250 people in the camp. They feed and house many of the 250 people while they are working. The salary paid to the 250 people feed their families, pay school fees for their children and keeps food on their tables.

There might not be trackers, skinners and PH's but there are rangers and/or spotters/trackers. At the camp I spoke about above, their rangers are required to have a college degree in a wildlife field and then in-camp training for months before they take guests out. The spotters can spot game as well or better than the PH's we had in Namibia.

You are certainly painting with a big brush here. Economically insignificant? I'll be travelling with my two daughters this trip and will be paying over $1500 per night at this camp. I'll be paying the salary of 250 people and the trickle down from those salaries affects a large number of people. The food the camp buys to serve me and all the staff will certainly not be insignificant and the trickle down from the food/linen/supplies purchases made by this camp will affect a large number of people. I'll be paying the owner of the camp so he's not enticed to sell some of his 33000 acres to investors wanting to build big hotels or time shares.

I dislike the fact this pompous, completely disconnected from reality pursuit even exists
I don't know why you think looking at wildlife and taking pictures is a more pompous, completely disconnected from reality pursuit than what you do. You hop on a plane, fly to Africa, you're picked up by a guide, driven to the starting point of your hunt, you have a PH tell you which animal to shoot, you have a tracker find the animal for you, and have a skinner skin the animal for you, you have the trackers and skinners load the animal in the vehicle for you, you are driven back to camp, you have a nap while someone prepares your meals and does your laundry. And then you eat the food someone else has prepared and sit around a fire that someone else built with firewood someone else gathered and you drink whiskey, smoke cigars and brag about what a great shot and what a great hunter you are and what a great day you had in Africa today. Guess what - I can talk and sound like you do - narrow minded and without a clue.

The statements above are about as stupid as some I've heard people say about hunting. If you don't really know what you are talking about, you shouldn't be talking about it.

I know that all camps are not run the same way and there are morons driving moron tourists around that only know what they have memorized out of a book. You shouldn't generalize and use the bottom of the barrel as your example.

I'm just guessing but I do believe that the pompous, disconnected from reality tourists that go to Africa to take pictures really do make a contribution to the wildlife and economy of Africa.

I'll go back to my camera now. BTW, I'm planning a 2010 hunting trip with my sons. College grad trip for the older one.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
OUCH!! That's gonna leave a mark. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I kind of figured when this post initially appeared it would generate some emotion.

For me I have found the best approach was to tell the truth and do so with out an attitude, sarcasm or hostility.

Being that I am female, I have an advantage as those who do not know me never assume I am a hunter. The knowing grins of people who do know me and happen to be near by when the conversation crops up is pretty funny. I have only had one person in the probably hundreds I have met who did not like to hear I was going hunting. I do not work for him anymore and fortunately ended up in a better place.

In fact I have found most people respond quite the opposite and that includes several vegetarians. These people are usually urban and are unfortunately disconnected from the natural environment. However, these folks quickly understand when I equate North American whitetail and turkey conservation with hunting in overseas countries. And also include education and medical relief many local people enjoy due directly to the actions of hunters.

There is clearly room for people who do not want to hunt and just go for a photo safari. I encourge folks to do so, as I feel everyone should experience Africa in some way. Hunting isn't for everyone but the fact they do go over to take photos helps keep wildlife and jobs in the local communities. So much so, many of the locals lose their lives or family or livestock to dangerous wildlife all the time.

More often than not others tell the story for me who have never been and do not hunt but saw my photos including the hero shots!

Perhaps if we hunters were better organized we would approach photo groups and get them to team up with bringing in aid to needy locals to boost their own value.

Cindy- as usual, fantastic photos! Keep up all the good work, I owe you an email! wave

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
How about just serve them some statistics?:

THE BENEFITS OF HUNTING (SCI)

Trophy hunting by 18,500 hunters generates US$ 200 million annually in remote rural areas of Africa in 23 countries. Private hunting operations conserve wildlife on 540,000 square miles, which is 22% more land than is found in the national parks of Africa. (Lindsey, 2007, Conservation Biology)

“… during the late 1990s, sport hunting is responsible for a large component of economic growth. Initially, most sport hunting revenue accrued to government and private landowners, however, more recently, an increasing proportion of such revenues has been apportioned between these two sectors and local communities.†(Report of the Southern African Development Community, a treaty organization.)

"Trophy hunting is of key importance to conservation in Africa by creating [financial] incentives to promote and retain wildlife as a land use over vast areas…". (National Geographic News, March, 2007)

Specific examples:

Botswana
· Trophy hunting alone currently generates $20 million annually in Botswana and more than 1,000 jobs.
· $6.7 million is generated from trophy fees alone.
· Nearly 75% of trophy hunting revenue remains in Botswana. In comparison, only 27% of all tourism revenue remains in Botswana.
· Trophy hunting generates 28.2% of the income for Community Based Natural Resources Management. Almost 50% of the income is reinvested in the local rural communities.
· In 1993, the Chobe Enclave Conservation Trust district council produced $12,000 in revenue by sub-leasing resource use rights to safari operators. In 1994 the Trust’s revenue more than doubled to $27,000, in 1995 revenue jumped to $77,000, and in 1996 the Trust earned $100,000 in revenue.
· Sankuyo Community followed suit in 1996 by sub-leasing their resource rights for $90,000 per year, and the Beetsha/Seronga Community sub-leased their rights for $110,000.

Namibia: LIFE, Living in a Finite Environment
· 2004 estimates show that trophy hunting in Namibia generates $28.5 million, representing 14% of tourism revenue and 2.3% of the entire GDP.
· The Namibian economy is 38 times smaller than South Africa’s therefore the income from trophy hunting is 9 times more important.
· By 2003, local communities had placed 74,000 square kilometers of land into 29 conservancies, which represent approximately 75% of all hunting lands in Namibia.
· These 29 conservancies involve almost 150,000 rural individuals through trophy hunting, conservancy management or secondary industries.
· The fee for hunting a single elephant is greater than what could be generated by thirty households from agriculture or livestock in a single year.

Zambia: ADMADE, Administrative Management Design Program
· By 1999 trophy hunting in Zambia produced close to $4.0 million annually, however some estimates were as large as $10 million
· In 2004, Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) disbursed K1.8 billion to 49 communities living in and around Game Management Areas around the country.
· Zambia Wildlife Act of 1998 states that all revenues from trophy hunting will accrue back to the state: includes hunting rights fees paid for lease of land, permit fees for the hunt and the trophy --
o The government allocates the funds quarterly on a percentage basis for Wildlife Management-45% (Zambian Game Scouts), Community Development-35% (Community Infrastructure Projects) and Administrative-20%
· ZAWA has many contractual requirements that safari operators must comply with to enhance the economic benefits and overall quality of life in rural communities --
o These requirements include:
§ Development and management of roads
§ Employment of Zambian Professional Hunters or Apprentice Hunters
§ Minimum of 80% of labor must come from neighboring communities
§ Fulfillment of contractual pledges to develop local infrastructure: schools, clinic, wells
§ Employment of Zambian game scouts to manage both wildlife and poaching

Zimbabwe: CAMPFIRE, Communal Areas Management Program for Indigenous Resources
· Economic earnings peaked at $22.3 million in 1998; however since 1999 political instability within Zimbabwe due to government land seizures have caused a decline in revenue.
· Still trophy hunting generated $12 billion Zimbabwe dollars in 2004 and accounted for approximately 60-90% of all revenues for the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management.
· In 2000, 20 to 30% of income from trophy hunting was produced on private land, while 70-80% was produced on the communal lands.
· Trophy hunting generates 85-90% of the income from wildlife in CAMPFIRE areas.
· CAMPFIRE has taken strides to restore natural resource use rights to 600,000 of the poorest people in Zimbabwe.
· From 1989 to 1994 CAMPFIRE earned US$ 6,054,198.

South Africa
· South Africa has the largest share of trophy hunting in Africa and is responsible for nearly 85% of all trophy exports (Falkena 2003)
· U.S. $100 million was generated by foreign trophy hunters in South Africa in 2000 (Anderson 2003) with estimates surging to nearly $137 million per year if multiplier effects and secondary industries are considered (Damm 2004a)
· Believed that the nearly 70,000 individuals are employed by trophy hunting and its related industries (PHASA 2004) with nearly 6,000 being directly involved (Chardonnet 2002 and Patterson & Khosa 2005)
· The recovery of White Rhino from 30 to nearly 11,000 in South Africa has been directly attributed to the incentives resulting from trophy hunting (Leader-Williams et al 200?)

Tanzania
· Has the 2nd largest share of trophy hunting in Africa after South Africa (Hurt & Ravn 2000)
· In 2001 trophy hunting estimates ranged from as high as $36.1 million to as low as $27.1 million (Baldus & Cauldwell 2004)
· Trophy hunting employs approximately 3,700 people annually with 2,282 individuals are permanently employed by trophy hunting with another 2,000 seasonally employed (www.tanzania.go.tz/) who in turn support a minimum of 88,240 families (Hurt & Ravn 2000)
· There was approximately a 325% increase in trophy hunting revenue between 1988 and 1996 (Broomhead 1997)
· 33% of trophy hunting revenues accrue to the state as compared to only 8% from eco-tourism which goes to support the government (Baldus & Cauldwell 2004)
· In Selous Game Reserve, Trophy Fees represent 60% of trophy hunting income Baldus & Cauldwell 2004)
· Revenue retention schemes have been devised where 50% of income is retained by the reserve for management and infrastructure investment (Baldus et al 2003)
o Revenue distribution for reserves with retention schemes (Kayera 2005)
§ 25% goes to Tanzanian Wildlife Protection Fund
§ 25% to the central treasury
§ 50% is retained by the reserve
· Under this scheme 42 district councils have received $5 million from 2000/1-2004/5 (Kayera 2005)
· 50 of 80 villages around the Selous Game Reserve have created Wildlife Management Areas where sustainable wildlife utilization is the primary land use with through tourism or consumptive utilization (Baldus et al 2001)

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote