THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cheetah History and Speed - Photos Added!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheetah History and Speed - Photos Added!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci...ntinent-Ice-Age.html

This is interesting theory. The speeed is always a big question as there seems to be little actual measuremenr but lost of guesses .
Saeed should ask his cats to get the real answers !! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Did they chase these Prehistoric Pronghorn?

Posts: 3048 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks !
My very limited experience with pronghorn was my measurement .driving at 55 mph we were joined by a pronghorn. He paced us for quite a while without any sign of effort.After getting bored with that he put the pedal to the metal and left us in the dust !! So I got two speeds , cruising at 55 mph and max we figured at 70 mph!! We couldn't find anyone else who had clocked them.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
So they got all their answers from what, seven cheetahs??

Reminds me of the study which was done to find what is the perfect time to brew a cup of coffee!

I think some of our cheetahs are more intelligent than some of those universality students.

A couple of days I go after lunch I went and sat with our baby cheetahs.

I put a video camera on a tripod at the end to film what happens.

One totally ignored me, pretending that I was not even there.

One came over and started biting by toes!

Another one got busy trying to tear my trousers off me.

One decide that all this is non sense, and came over and lay in by lap.

One decide to go investigate the video camera, and started biting the legs of the tripod.

I got up and got her off the tripod, and sat down again.

They all then decide to gang up on me, and they were fighting each other on top of me, and I had to join in the fight!

This went on for a few minutes, then one decided to have a fight with the video camera, taking a jump and knocking it down!

Then came over and started biting my toes!

We have one that broke its front leg chasing each other among the rocks we have out for them.

We took her in after the vet fixed her leg, and kept her inside.

She runs down the stairs each time I go to the gun room, and stays here running and jumping all over the place as I work.

Every now and then she comes over and has a fight with my legs.

The first thing my daughter does when she comes from school runs to play with them, and the one with the broken leg - we call her Bounce! as she never stops jumping up and down - follows her all over the place.

Animals are wonderful.

We have an African Grey parrot that speaks well over 100 words!

She loves to drink Pepsi - she even burbs when she sees me with a can - learnt the bad habit from someone!

She calls our dog WOF WOF!!??

As I shut the lights at night, she says "night night! daddy loves you!"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are truly blessed.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think some of our cheetahs are more intelligent than some of those universality students.

and 100% of the politicians and bureaucrats

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool to keep your own zoo!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Cheetahs are interesting, we don't have any cheetahs in private ownership in America that I have heard about or seen.

I understand getting them to breed in captivity is problematic.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they chase these Prehistoric Pronghorn?

Theory is, that is why the Pronghorns evolved the way they did. They had to have the ability to escape from Cheetahs.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Cheetahs are interesting, we don't have any cheetahs in private ownership in America that I have heard about or seen.

I understand getting them to breed in captivity is problematic.

a friend of mine had one twenty years ago near Birmingham Al.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Animals are wonderful.

We have an African Grey parrot that speaks well over 100 words!

She loves to drink Pepsi - she even burbs when she sees me with a can - learnt the bad habit from someone!

She calls our dog WOF WOF!!??

As I shut the lights at night, she says "night night! daddy loves you!"

Bless yore heart, Saeed.
And I thought I was doing something when I taught my dog to say "Yum yum" when she wants a treat ... wave

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holycow

It looks like that kitten has learned how to set up a video camera for a shoot!
Adjusting the view-finder screen and positioning the camera!
One picture shows one leg of the tripod is off the ground as she skillfully pivots the camera into position.
Just goes to show that cheetahs are smart, more like dogs than cats. Smiler

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a high fence operation to me. How unethical...let the debate begin

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector:
Looks like a high fence operation to me. How unethical...let the debate begin

It even goes further than that!

We have set up tables and chairs inside those fences, so those who really like their comfort can just sit down and enjoy their trip.

Had a few high school artists come over a few weeks ago - they are in their final year, and have been to many places to further their education.

They said this is the best place they have been to! beer

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I'm awful glad you didn't have any of the baby Cheetahs when we visited. I'm sure Joyce would have tried to put one in her bag.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Saeed does the cheetah in the pictures have a name, Lora was asking.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They had a slug of cheetahs at a "zoo" in Djibouti when I was stationed there.

Similar situation as yours, they were pets. I have probably seen John Wayne's Hatari a couple thousand times.

I need a cheetah for sure, maybe not to bathe with though.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This one is Simba.

We have set up a small zoo at the high school, with small animals like hedgehogs and iguanas and some birds.

Last week they asked to see a cheetah to show to all the students.

Hessa took one of them with her, and as usual, everyone wanted one!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201512111227.html

South Africa: Cheetahs Attack Limpopo Air Force Base Officer

By Jenna Etheridge, News24

Two cheetahs attacked a warrant officer at the air force base in Makhado, Limpopo, after she apparently tried to take photos of them, the South African Air Force said on Thursday.

The predators were recently introduced at the base to control wildlife posing a hazard by remaining on the runway or other areas where aircraft manoeuvred, corporate staff services director brigadier general Marthie Visser said.

The cheetahs, named Wim and Tobie, were born in captivity and released at the base last month, according to the Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre website.

Visser said the cheetahs entered a hanger on Tuesday and staff members tried to chase them out.

"The cheetahs left the hanger and apparently one officer decided to take a few photos. Her mistake, I hear from hearsay, was she moved a little bit away from the bigger group of people and when she got closer, they started growling and showing aggression."

The officer apparently became scared and turned her back to them. The first cheetah pounced followed by the second.

Visser said the officer sustained injuries mainly to the back of the head, face and neck.

She was taken to the military hospital, but Visser was not immediately sure of her condition.

"Air Force Base Makhado has already convened an investigation into the circumstances that have given rise to this unprecedented incident."

She said the cheetahs were still on the premises, but she did not know whether they were in a cage.

The Air Force Base at Makhado and in Hoedspruit had been using male cheetah pairs with success since the 1990s, she said.

"There is a separate consultation going on with the sanctuary to see how we are going to handle this in future."

Source: News24

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9498 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci...ntinent-Ice-Age.html

This is interesting theory. The speeed is always a big question as there seems to be little actual measuremenr but lost of guesses .
Saeed should ask his cats to get the real answers !! Roll Eyes

From the article: "Cheetahs immigrated from NORTH AMERICA"

And today I see this article: Cheetah spotted on BC (Canada) highway http://www.torontosun.com/2015...southeast-bc-highway

I guess they didn't all disappear here!!

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what we want , cold hard facts !Proves they did originate in NA ! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that all wild cheetahs both in africa and india were found to be somewhat inbred.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading accounts of cheetahs being domesticated by the ancient Egyptians and kept at court. That seems appropriate, regal critters that they are.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote