Find
Notify
Tools

Meds to RSA???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Given the thread on ticks and on tick fever, should one take some Doxy or Cipro with them as a part of the standard travel kit? My wife has a penicillin sensitivity ... so does it make even more sense to have a fairly strong antibiotic along that we know she can take?

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I would take it.
It does not take up much space in the suitcase.
Rather safe then sorry

What does your local Doctor recomend ?

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I chose to use doxy as my malaria prophylactic in part because it also protects against tick fever and other bacterial diseases. Two for one, as it were. I had no problems with it on my last trip and will be using again in nine days.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
mstarling,

My travel doctor proscribed Doxy and for "the runs", he proscribed Cipro.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am opting for the doxycycline this year for malaria prophylaxis and like to include lomitil (Anti-diarrhea)and Levaquin and/or cipro for my just in case antibiotic .Both of these are pretty good broadspectrum antibiotics.Through in some ambien for the plane trip and first night.Acidophilus in case yogert is not readily available.The acidophilus will help keep a healthy flora thriving in the gut and ward off the trots that the constant use of anti-biotics can sometimes cause.Then don't forget the common OTC things that may be needed.I bring aspirin,allergy meds(benedryl),cough/cold tabs,and a topical toothache gel.Through in a needle and thread(for repairs to cloth or flesh)nail clippers,file ,scissors,tweezers.My kit fits in a 4x4x6 travel pack.This little case has served me well on quite a few trips and there were times when I was very happy to have packed it...eyedoc

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the good fortune of having a doctor as a hunting partner. Further he has the tendency to be a bit of a hypochondriac which means that any malady I mention we could pick up he'll bring two double doses along in his med kit.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote