Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 Bullet shape for RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Going to RSA for plains game in late May. Am taking a .338 Win Mag pre-64 M70 and a 9.3x74R scoped Chapuis double rifle. What is the right shape Woodleighs for a place where the ranges are generally 150 yards or less (near Kroeger)? Is the protected point or the blunt better?

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For up to 150 yards either will work fine....but shots can be considerably longer in that area than 150 yards...I have hunted their many times...

If it were me then I would choose the 286 gr. Nosler Partition, but the woodleigh 286 PP or RN would be an excellent choice also....Also I would be shooting a bolt action rifle in 9.3x62 so this may not be applicable in your case...

Probably the best solution would be to shoot whichever bullet the double is regulated with or is the most accurate with...

The one thing you can bet on is that you will always have the wrong gun when the opertunity arises!!

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Mike:

In the Chapuis double I'd go for the RN. In a bolt gun, however, the protected point would get the nod. As with Ray, I'll be using the 286-grain Nosler Partition in my 9.3x62 Blaser R93 when I hunt sable in May. I'd be equally as happy with the Woodleighs, though.

If Nosler made a protected point version of the 286/9.3 I'd use it, but they don't. The Blaser's magazine design, however, efficiently holds the rounds in place and prevents tip battering.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote