New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maswa...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever hunt Maswa? We've heard good things about the place. I'm interested in hearing from those who have been there and done that...
Thanks.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
The Friedkens usually reserve it for July each year...That's where their biggest buff are.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I know it's hard to get a booking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I researched this several years ago. Best buff hunting in the world according to some. Impossible to get just a buff hunt booking.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I researched this several years ago. Best buff hunting in the world according to some. Impossible to get just a buff hunt booking

Why Not !
Ask Robin Hurt Safaris

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TGTS's Maswa concession is on the north side of Maswa Makao, which is Robin Hurt's.

I don't know what TGTS' policies are. I leave in 8 days to hunt buffalo=-only in Maswa Makau, then Mlele in the southwest.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know how the lion and leopard are as well?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion and leopard are both good. Not the big forest leopard though. Very pretty area.

This whole area can be iffy for buffalo, dependin on rainfall patterns, etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the worst drought in anyone's memory. It was bad when we were in Simanjiro in late July and early August and I can only imagine the current conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What country is this in? Tanzania?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Yes Tanzania. I haven't spoke to RHS about their are, but everyone knows how TGT is about lions. You probably won't get one, but if you do it will be stunning!!!! I did speak to Raul at TBGS and he said it's like hunting a park. More collecting than hunting for a lot of the game. He also said your chances on lion with him in Maswa are 20-25%, but if you get one.......SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! He said it is by far the best place to take a rediculous lion!!!! You just may have to go 1-5 times to get one.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He also said your chances on lion with him in Maswa are 20-25%, but if you get one.......SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! He said it is by far the best place to take a rediculous lion!!!! You just may have to go 1-5 times to get one.

...and TBGS isnt CHEAP !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Boetie Bothma where he would go for a big lion when I hunted with him in 2006. He quickly replied Maswa.

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:
He also said your chances on lion with him in Maswa are 20-25%, but if you get one.......SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! He said it is by far the best place to take a rediculous lion!!!! You just may have to go 1-5 times to get one.

...and TBGS isnt CHEAP !

Seloushunter

I've made inquires with a number of companies in top concessions in Masailand and the Rungwa area and I don't think they're that expensive. Luke Samaras, Robin Hurt, TBGS are all at about the same level price wise and that's including airfare and misc costs. Tanzania Wildlife Company, Danny McCallum, FOA Adventures Tanzania, and Adam Clements are the most expensive I've run across thus far. Not tons more expensive, but more. I haven't inquired with TGT or Tanganyka Wildlife Safaris, so I can't comment on there relative price in this grouping. Perhaps someone else can. With most of these companies from your door throught the hunt with tips, airfair, trophie fees on a 21 day mixed bag hunt you're looking at $115,000-$130,000 all in. Not exactly cheap, but it's Tanzania. TBGS is about $58,000 base rate for a two area safari (Rungwa/Masailand), but as stated all in you're at $120,000ish.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Has anyone hunted lion or had experience with lion in the Maswa? I would love to hunt it some day, but I'm debating making it a first safari after lion as the odds are low. Any thoughts?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Maswa was my backyard growing up. I have hunted in Maswa region all my life and especially when living there in my early years. It was only an hours drive from my house to the Duma game post in Maswa. Beautiful area and region and probably still one of the best hunting grounds in tanzania. Loliondo has always been said to be the best area in Tanzania, but I would put Maswa over Loliondo anyday. Not being biased at all, but for anyone looking for the best consistant Lion quality free range in Tanzania the only two places to put your money for a true big manned Lion would be Maswa and Lolkisale areas. Yes, other areas do pull out an exception here and there, but not consistantly as Maswa and Lolkisale/Simanjaro areas. Just my thoughts from my experience around Tanzania. Maswa you are looking at around a 30% success rate, but will be a monster. Lolkisale/Simanjaro areas you are looking at arund a 70% success on average. The other area in Tanzania that was superb was the Fort Ikoma area which is no longer hunting as Mr. Jones took it over for photo only.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Adam,

What do you think about the each of the three Maswa areas? Any big differences in water, game, outfits, ect?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been some big lions taken this year in FOA's area. I have forgotten the name.

The first 2 clients killed their lions in the first week of their hunt while walking around. They chanced upon them.

A Tanzanian who has posted here also recommended FOA.

I sent them 2 e mails and never got a response. Not sure why especially in this economy.

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
There have been some big lions taken this year in FOA's area. I have forgotten the name.

The first 2 clients killed their lions in the first week of their hunt while walking around. They chanced upon them.

A Tanzanian who has posted here also recommended FOA.

I sent them 2 e mails and never got a response. Not sure why especially in this economy.

I've looked into them some. Their concession is Lunda and it's on the entire eastern boundary of the Ruaha NP and raps around the north end a bit. They are quite expensive, but their success rates are very good. John Barth books for them, but exclusively with PH Pennie de Vries. A French agency also books for them as the owner of the company and concession holder is French. I believe Aaron Nielson also books for them. He has prices on his website if you want an idea. NOT CHEAP even by Tanzanian standards!!!! To their defense they do shoot some very nice lions and have a ridiculously good success rate. However they aren't perticularly preocupied with the 6 year rule. Several people I have spoke to about them have made this abundantly clear (Aaron is in no way included in those several people and in all my exchanges with him has stressed taking mature lions).

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot hunt Maswa for 21 days and NOT see several male lions. If the success rates quoted are soo low it is simply because one is looking for a 6+ year old. If it was any 3,4 or 5 year old, that were being hunted, then success rates would be in the 80's if not 90%. At least that would apply for Maswa Mbono and Kimali, the 2 blocks TGTS hunts.

Maswa North (TBGS) is shaped like a triangle narrowing considerably the further North one goes to such a degree that if one respects the 2 Km No hunting from a national Park boundary (Serengeti), you would lose 10% - 15% of the block. I doubt that the top 10-15% of the block contains much game worth hunting? They do produce excellent trophies all around every season though.

To the South of Maswa Game Reserve lies Makao Open Area leased by RHS. This area has been referred to Maswa Makao, Makao/Endulen and Maswa Makao Game Reserve. The block contains a very small portion of the Maswa Game Reseve to the North East, probably not more than 3,000 - 5,000 acres would be my guess.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Some very good information on this thread for folks looking for quality lion hunting.

Are all Maswa blocks good for Buffalo as well? or there is any particular part of Maswa blocks that is better.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Difficult to say as everyone will argue their case hardest, however, consider this:
- RHS have a yearly quota of 50 (+-) for their OA and they utilize year in and year out 90% - 100% of that quota. Those are high numbers!

- TBGS probably have between 30 - 40 buff on quota and also take most of them. This is probably the smallest block of the lot in terms of size.

- TGTS have 19 buff on quota for each block and take an average of 16 a year from each.

I know where I would look Cool

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

How water dependant are the blocks? How do TGT's prices compare to RHS and TBGS? You can PM me the last question if you would prefer.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

There is water year round in good quantities in all of these blocks.

The only threat in the RHS OA is recent influx of cattle which may scatter the game somewhat due to addedd disturbance.

I believe the brochure prices between the three are very similar once you add everything up, though there is probably more margin for negotiation on the daily rates with RHS and TBGS.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
FYI for all:

I spoke with TGT and their prices aren't any more than any of the other top outfitters. About $120,000 all in. They are (as has already been stated) very up front about their lion policy and frankly tell you if the outcome of your safari depends on taking a lion book with someone else!! I admire their candor.

In regards to Maswa they shed some light on the concessions. Robin's Maswa is an open area, so it is subject to influxes of cattle which can push game from time to time. TBGS Border with them is on the Mbono river, so that is their only major water source in dry months. TGT has 4 rivers that retain water in the dry months. Better hunting months are around September as the Serengeti is dry and when it dries out the game leave to go into the concession. So if you get a good rain in May it could mean July is a slow month in the Maswa. September is a fairly safe month.

They also stated that their Rungwa areas are probably the most successful for lion, but in the next 4-5 years Moyowosi is expected to be as good or better.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had read past posts on Maswa and salivated over the buff pictues on the websites but quickly sobered up when I saw the prices. About 6months ago I contacted a guy I went to college with who runs photo safaris in that area to see if he could make a recomendation for possibly a cheaper hunt there. He said the "horn potential in Maswa is fabulous" and that the ballpark price would be in/around $22K. Don't know if that was a good or bad price as it was out of my range.
Judging by the reputation of the operators there, if you have the ability/opportunity I'd imagine it would be an amazing hunt.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett wrote
I've made inquires with a number of companies in top concessions in Masailand and the Rungwa area and I don't think they're that expensive. Luke Samaras, Robin Hurt, TBGS are all at about the same level price wise and that's including airfare and misc costs. Tanzania Wildlife Company, Danny McCallum, FOA Adventures Tanzania, and Adam Clements are the most expensive I've run across thus far. Not tons more expensive, but more. I haven't inquired with TGT or Tanganyka Wildlife Safaris, so I can't comment on there relative price in this grouping. Perhaps someone else can. With most of these companies from your door throught the hunt with tips, airfair, trophie fees on a 21 day mixed bag hunt you're looking at $115,000-$130,000 all in. Not exactly cheap, but it's Tanzania. TBGS is about $58,000 base rate for a two area safari (Rungwa/Masailand), but as stated all in you're at $120,000ish.

Look at Swanepol & Scandrol
pricing http://www.hunt-africa.com/tanzania_pricing.php what the charge for hunting in Game Frontiers Blocks. Tanzania isnt cheap....

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't even take S&S seriously. Prices like that for a hunt on GFT blocks and their Zambian prices lead one to the only possible conclusion........they're sniffing glue!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I don't even take S&S seriously. Prices like that for a hunt on GFT blocks and their Zambian prices lead one to the only possible conclusion........they're sniffing glue!!!!

...and there is a market for it !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

...and there is a market for it !

Seloushunter

Sniffing glue or those hunts at those prices?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their input. My buddy is hot for lion and buff, so would likely pass on Maswa because of the success rate on lion.

As far as prices go, aroung $22,000.00 is what Samaras gets for a Maasailand buff hunt, with the trophy for the first bufff added in that figure. First one IIRC is .$2500 and the second a hundred bucks more. Some rally great buff with Samaras, even during the drought. I would definitely hunt with them again.