New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Ammo into RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, I'm wondering if it is legal to just bring ammo into RSA? Obviously, only 5 kg's worth. I would be traveling onto Windhoek, and have rifles there for me to use.

Has anyone just brought ammo and no guns? if so, any issues or problems anyone could see? Would love to know others experiences.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Not allowed.

From the www.riflepermits.com website ...

"The Basic Regulations for a Temporary Import/In Transit Permit are as follows:
No more than ONE firearm or shotgun per caliber or gauge,
Only 200 rounds for each permitted firearm or shotgun will be allowed,
No ammunition for other firearms (caliber or gauge) is permitted, in other words, do not try and bring ammunition for your PH's rifle,
You may only bring two shotguns if they are different gauges,
Firearms must bear the manufacturer's serial number or any other mark by which the firearm can be identified. The identification number must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel, the frame or the receiver of the firearm,
Handguns will be allowed into the country, but only for hunting purposes. Any foreign visitor wanting to bring a handgun into the country, needs to produce a letter from a registered association of his/her country of origin, stating that he/she is a registered member of the association and that the handgun will be used exclusively for hunting purposes,
Prohibited firearms which may NOT be imported into South Africa, includes:

Any fully automatic weapon,
Any semi-automatic weapon,
No semi-automatic shotguns,
Handgun(s) for self-defense,
Weapons which fall under military categories.

There are however, certain circumstances under which the Central Firearms registry in South Africa will allow the importation of such weapons for hunting purposes."

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the confirmation!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you check your bags through (assuming you can get a connection), or if you travel via Frankfurt, you will avoid the RSA mess altogether. Having said that, I don't know what new problems you would encounter in FF or Namibia. My guess is that if you say nothing, nobody (other than TSA on this end) will know any better.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote