THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many bring their own knife on a ele hunt?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many bring their own knife on a ele hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of bringing my knife to use if I have the good fortune to shoot an ele.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
I have used my Leatherman but only to cut the tails.

Good hunting
CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Using your own knife for the tail would be a common trend I beleive. I think the act of skinning and butchering is best left to the crew and with their own tools. I cringe when I recall a skinner team working thru a buf and using a handfull of blood and sand smeared on a limb for a quick edge tune up. Not how I would treat my own blade.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
For tail for sure

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding me? Roll em sleeves up and go to work if you want. Its part of life. Use your knife, see what it's made of.

Posts: 3510 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post

You gotta cut off the tail!

That's the victory lap of elephant hunting.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is also good for slicing lemons and cutting string and shit like that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought 10 opinel knives for the team. They are great skinning knives, simple and easy to sharpen.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
It is also good for slicing lemons and cutting string and shit like that.

And a nice greasy piece of biltong. Yum.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
All I ever carried was a good pocket knife. I let one of the trackers cut the tail for me. If you have ever seen an Elephant skinned you would have a totally different view of the process. The big bale hooks they use are awesome without them there would be little skinning. Certainly not what I expected.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I carry a knife to church.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37771 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I carry a knife to church.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+2

I feel naked without a knife, and only leave it off when in a prohibited area like airport or Security area at work.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 3, and I always carry two knives, one Benchmade, the other a German made lockblade, and usually a Gerber Multi-tool.

I feel naked without at least one knife...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What else are you going to use to cut your biltong?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a puma knife that I used for hunting caribou.I don't know much about knives and my knife has always been dull.I bought a Lansky kit a couple of years ago and used it for the first time today.It did get my knife kind of sharp.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only thing i've ever seen anybody use a knife for on a ele was to cut the tail- everything else was done with machetes & axes and believe me that you do not want to get involved anywhere the carcass and skinning and butchering is going on

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I have a puma knife that I used for hunting caribou.I don't know much about knives and my knife has always been dull.I bought a Lansky kit a couple of years ago and used it for the first time today.It did get my knife kind of sharp.

Brother, if I called myself a hunter and didn't know how to sharpen a knife I would never admit it on the internet. Just saying.

It's not that hard of a skill to learn to do with a standard wet stone.

With a Lanskey kit you can get your knife sharp enough to shave with if you follow the directions that came with the kit.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried different gadgets and a stone or two in the past but nothing really worked.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Dremel tool?

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Lansky again at another angle and I got it really sharper now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are talking about sharpeners- I have been using a Warthog Sharpener for the last couple years and it is by far the fastest and simplest sharpening tool I have ever used. Works great for knives, broadheads, and almost any other double edged blades.

A few strokes with the rough edge to establish the angle and then a few more with the finishing rods, and you are shaving sharp !

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I carry the same damascus fixed 4" blade knife with a stag handle on all my

hunts in Africa. Goes on any belt (usually my Trader Keith's culling belt) & have

used it for many tasks (including cutting the tails off of 4 elephant bulls).

Always good to have a sharp knife along!

Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking double,Jungleboy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Whenever I leave home with a gun, a knife accompanies me. tu2 Been carrying a knife to Africa since day 1. Big Grin My standard has usually been a well used Boker sheath knife, but I have carried many of my custom knives as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]Puma Skinner[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine seems a little too big to carry on my ammo belt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were you using a left edge sharpening stone? I use a steel blade made by Blake Kowshot from Montana and a left edge sharpening stone which keeps the edge udderly sharp.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
The only thing I regret about my Elephant is that I neglected to bring the hunting knife my father passed on to me 30 years or so ago to cut off the tail. I ended up using my multi-tool; but would have preferred using Dad's old blade to do the job.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Lee Baumgart under classifieds here on AR makes a nice little knife that you could purchase at a reasonable price and possibly carry in Africa on your ammo belt. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I only use my knife to cut meat to cook in the bush.

Nothing like fresh impala heart, or a piece of meat from any other animals we have just shot.

Put on a stick, and on a freshly started fire.

Beats any 5-star hotel meal beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68651 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be dipped in shit.

SHOOTAWAY and I have the same knife. Puma skinner. I also have the Puma Bowie which I like a lot.
So we are like knife brothers or something.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It just doesn't feel right to hunt without a good knife. I used my Randall Bushmaster to help on the recovery of my elephant. My job was to cut the trunk off. It was like sawing through bone and I ended up with blood up to my elbows. By the time I was done, that knife was as dull as a butter knife. It gets a little messy...

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway:

That Puma Skinner must be close to 40 years old and for whatever the reason, is a bastard to hone and a bastard at retaining its edge (if you can get one).

I would classify it more as a collectible than a working tool.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
My elder brother was in the Vietnam War. He was broke after basic and sent me a letter asking me to buy a belt knife and mail it to him. So I went to the local sporting goods store and bought that Puma Skinner and sent it to him.

When he got out he came home and dumped his duffle bag on the floor and dug the knife out of the contents and handed it to me. And said thanks. It's yours now. That was a long time ago and I still have it.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SHOOTAWAY and I have the same knife. Puma skinner. I also have the Puma Bowie which I like a lot.

Muletrain,

Shootaway has the "edge" on you as the sheath for his Skinner is the original that comes with the knife. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Having read the stories about Harry Wolhuter and the lion, I brought a Randall 7-inch no.1 that I had bought at the old NYC Abercrombie & Fitch in the 1960s. I carried it everywhere on safari. Part of the experience, so don't knock it. lol

My PH,when he saw it, told me not to let the skinners use it because they would destroy it by sharpening on a rock -- whether it needed it or not. I believe that they used old kitchen knives.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts on taking a that precious heirloom knife , the one that you got from your dad or grandad( or your favourite Lucky knife ) or a expensive custom on a trip through Africa.

First: Getting home, opening your gun case and finding that the bastards at Johannesburg's Oliver Tambo or whatever it goes by today have lifted your favourite knife !

Second to that is handing your knife in good faith to one of the skinners and have them hone it on a rock or worse with a file or against the blade of another knife; failing that not being enough snapping the tip off the knife after trying to pry open a joint or some such.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Muletrain,

Shootaway has the "edge" on you as the sheath for his Skinner is the original that comes with the knife. Wink

Yes. That is right.

But I am left handed so I had a new sheath made for it.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anjin:

Wolhuter's knife was nothing more than a standard kitchen knife, it has a long almost 12 inch blade.

It's on display with the lion skin and the dead tree he climbed into in the Library in Skukuza