New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight hood on a DGR?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Those of you with iron sights, either primary or used as a backup, how many have a hood on the front sight? I don't think they really cut down on glare that much, at least the ones I have, but I do think they protect the front blade a bit from bumps and dings, and for that reason I'm planning on putting a front sight hood on my 375 H&H. The only trouble I ever had was once I got some mud in there, which I didn't notice until I needed to use the sights, but that was more my fault than a design flaw.

Anyone else have any comments for or against?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have a set of EAW open sights on my .375 H&H, and I leave the front sight hood in place. This particular hood never moves in the slightest. Hoods do protect the front sight, but not all of them stay in place under recoil. In fact, many hoods are lost while hunting because they don't fit snugly enough to stay put under fire.

I think it's wise to remove any hood that has a tendancy to slide about before you go hunting.

AD

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think a properly fitted hood over a front sight is a "good thing" as Martha would say! As Allen says, most factory hoods are not fitted properly, and tend to fall off under recoil. I just bought a new little 9.3X74R, Merkel 140E S/S double rifle, and I'm going to have JJ at Camplins install the blind man's front bead,with a hood, and open up the back sight to a shallow-V. My eyes are getting old along with the rest of me, at age 64, and I like my front sight in the shade. To me haveing a heavy front bead surrounded by the hood works a little like a peep sight, drawing your eye to the tip of the front bead. The protection of the front bead, by the hood,is a plus, as well!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
...many hoods are lost while hunting...

And some (mine) are lost at the gunsmith's shop

Strange, since I didn't specify any work to be done on that end of the gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being at the end of the barrel they catch on brush and stuff. I also have a set of EAW sights on my .375 and I took the front hood off and left it at camp on the second day of my safari. It was a severe nuisance. After it was off the front sight itself never got hung up an any banches.

There is some merit in protecting the front sight, but that�s a �what if� kind of problem versus a definite �they will get caught� problem.

I guess if you want you could leave it on in the bakkie or whatever and then slide it off and put it in your pocket when you go into the bush, but that's just one more thing to keep up with and think about when you already have a lot on your mind.

How many hoods do you see on doubles? I believe those are the ultimate DGR�s, are they not?

And finally, (sorry, but I just can�t resist), that hood is really going to hurt when Mr. Lion or Mr. Buffalo shoves your rifle up your ...

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
My problem with hoods is I see them thru my scope when set on the lowest power. It appears to be just below my crosshairs and drew my focus away before the shot. Just practice so no harm done, but it is something to think about.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The authoritative answer(!!): no hood.

Posts: 19327 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hood! It is your duty to check your sights BEFORE stalking or following up any dangerous game.

Failure to do so may result in unpleasant surprises.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
My vote is no hood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fat Bastard, The gunsmith needed the hood for another gun.

I have NECG front sight and hood. It stays on very well under recoil and protects the front sight. I leave it on most of the time. However, when I flip the QD and remove the scope the hood also comes off. I have found I pick up the front sight much faster without the hood. I have practices a lot both ways and the hood goes.

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 08-07-2001).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkWhite:
Hi Mark,
No hood for me either. My rifle has a rear peep and the front hood looks to be about the same size but not quite. When you look down the barrel this is just the confusion you don't need. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
While many, if not most, hunt with the hood on, it was really designed to protect the front sight while in storage or transit and should be removed while hunting. The problem with the hood on is that is will normally place the front bead in a shadow, making the front sight less quick to pick up and get on target.

I the front sight is overly shiny, that's a separate issue that must be dealt with.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post

MacD37, do You know Dugaboy1 from huntamerica? He talked about his new Merkel. Seems everybody around here has one? ;-)

Try RWS ammo 286 grs RN, most likely the Merkel is adjusted for those. Although I like Sellier&Bellot, too.

Good Shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Yes Dhunter, I know DUGABOY1 quite well, in fact I'm sitting in his chair in front of his computer as we speak. That is because I "AM" DUGABOY1!

The "MacD37" is the name I used at work before my retirement, and is a combination of my name,and year of birth. My E-mail address is DUGABOY1@aol.com I would change it here but I don't know how, other than to re regester!

In regard to the Merkel, I secured some S&B 286 gr factory ammo, and the little rifle printed the first two shots side by side at point of aim, 2" apart at fifty yds, off hand. The first six rounds starting with clean/cool barrels, grouped all six, fired rt,lft, rt,lft, rt,lft, in 3 1/4" center to center, off hand at fifty yds. I have some doubles that cost five times the price of the Merkel, but they don't shoot that well with any ammo! I'm sattisfied!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not want a hood on my iron sights, there OK in the car and for sight protection I guess...I just toss'em out the window.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys!

470 MB, your comment about the hood being too close to the aperture sizing on the rear sight is something I hadn't thought about that needs some thinking. Thanks for posting that!

What I'm trying to attempt here is making a barrel band style front sight, and when I was thinking about the blade I got the clever idea to cut a dovetail for a standard 45 auto front sight dovetail (yeah I know stock ones are held in with pins but most everyone makes aftermarket sights with dovetails too). Then I can use not only a bunch of different front blades if I need to experiment, but also I can get one with a tritium insert, which sounds appealing. If I put a hood on it I guarantee you it ain't going to come off! Probably put it on with screws. Also, I do think that many hoods are too long, to me it doesn't need to be that much longer than the front blade, maybe 1/8" overhang on both ends unless it looks too weird...

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote