New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oprah and Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well hunters and huntresses, I've got a first for ya and I bet you never thought you'd live to see the day. The Queen of talk, OPRAH, has a hunting story in her December issue of O Magazine. (What next? With a little more urging, maybe Saeed, on the OPRAH show for a sit down interview.) Enjoy the article!

http://www.oprah.com/food/Wome...sss-Humbling-Harvest

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

Do you read Oprah's magazine often? rotflmo

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Marc:

More importantly, how long have you been a subscriber? jumping

Seriously, tu2

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Marc: All kidding aside,you ought to get one of your stories in O! Why not? You're a great ambassador for all of us. tu2 Better yet, get Oprah on a hunt with you and your son! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whew!

Glad I read the article. When I read the title of the thread, I thought it involved Marc going after an Oprah mount......

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I was quite pleased to see the majority of comments as supportive..... Kudo's O!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not actually a subscriber to the magazine but after years of pal-ing around with some guy named Steadman...you sort of figure out a way to maximize certain relationships.

Stay tuned, there's more coming hopefully.

Anybody who has 47 million dollars laying around and decides to build a school in RSA, well she can't be that stupid.

First the African school, then hopefully next the Africa safari. You see when a media personality announces to the world that this is the final year of her talk show, she begins to really think outside the box to leave an everlasting legacy...Stead tells me to just be a little more patient. She went to Yellowstone, she did the fly-fishing thing with her BFF Gayle, now the lady turkey hunter article...You see where this is going? Atleast I'm on the right track with her.

If I could just stop those wounded lion charges from making their way onto YouTube!

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very excellent!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

I once met Steadman on a golf course. He was friends with Julius Erving (Dr J). Dr J & I lived in the same development and belonged to the same country club for a while. Steadman seemed like a decent guy.

If I recall correctly, both Steadman & Oprah showed up to our country club for a memorial dinner after Dr. J's son was tragically killed in a car wreck.

I have to admit that I liked Oprah's reasoning for building the school in Africa and not here. She basically said the kids here were more concerned with getting the latest sneakers and things like that. The African kids wanted an education. Spot on as far as I am concerned. Anyone who escaped the poverty in Philadelphia, MS and has made what she has made of herself deserves a lot of credit in my book even if I often disagree with her.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be beggared? This could be the start of a wonderful relationship, that is between the hunting fraternity and the bunny huggers. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why doesn't this board have a Turkey Hunting Forum, where this would truly be at home. I ask about a THF years ago, truth be known there are probably more Turkey Hunters visit this Forum than African hunters.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the bird was still, I knelt next to her and put my gloved hand on top of her feathers...Its feathers were far more beautiful than I'd given turkeys credit for.

What a crock! Turkey hens are plain jane. The iridescent colors of a tom, on the other hand, are a sight to behold.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

That was absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing Kimberly's article. I think many non hunters would not expect an animal lover to also be a hunter but many many of us are. I know I'm absolutley silly over my fury children.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Man oh man!! Scroll down and read the comments below the article. Roll Eyes

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
tu2
quote:
andrewbaldry : Hi caroline6262, I admire your stance and passion for all that is wild. And I agree there are individuals who have little respect for animals when hunting them and indeed your research will discover the worst of them. Nature itself could be construed as heartless and merciless, death and killing is common place here. In Africa wildlife would not survive if it has no value and sport hunting is a major contributor to conservation. For non consumptive tourism there are vast areas put aside under protection but it is proven that game viewing alone cannot provide the incomes required. I am not in the business of pain, crippling and wounding. My profession is quite the opposite. We retain our own ethics and code of conduct and it is not in my nature to cause suffering.

beer

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought this was a great story. The author has "crossed over from the dark side" and at the same time developed an ethic that I find laudable, respecting the game while discovering her role in the real world. I wish more hunters had her attitude instead of the rebel yell/"thank you lord" syndrome when shooting a deer from a tree stand in the typical hunting show.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish more hunters had her attitude instead of the rebel yell/"thank you lord" syndrome when shooting a deer from a tree stand in the typical hunting show.

Art,

I owe you an adult beverage of your choice if we ever meet.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno guys.

Most folks are willing to do a lot for their job...

Or was I the only one who noticed the huntress' comment that she didn't start hunting and fishing until she got a job at field and stream? Sounds like she was assigned these trips.

The proof would be that she continued to hunt and fish after she quit working for F&S.

I am a little suspicious with someone who wants to be a professional writer, gets a writing job, and then proceeds to write things that agree with the stated editorial bent of their employer.

I hope I'm wrong...

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
tu2
quote:
andrewbaldry : Hi caroline6262, I admire your stance and passion for all that is wild. And I agree there are individuals who have little respect for animals when hunting them and indeed your research will discover the worst of them. Nature itself could be construed as heartless and merciless, death and killing is common place here. In Africa wildlife would not survive if it has no value and sport hunting is a major contributor to conservation. For non consumptive tourism there are vast areas put aside under protection but it is proven that game viewing alone cannot provide the incomes required. I am not in the business of pain, crippling and wounding. My profession is quite the opposite. We retain our own ethics and code of conduct and it is not in my nature to cause suffering.

beer

Hey you cannot hide from AR?

I read this article but was more interested in the international comments. This is a classic forum for the antis to spit their venom.

What was of interest was that the majority either had no problems with or rather tolerated hunting. However there are some like caroline6262 who are truly rabid and so much so that a number of her comments were deleted from the forum. So I though I would politely point out some other facts to her.

Little does she now that my wife and best friend is also a vegetarian and who cannot tolerate the killing of animals. But and this is a big but, my girl fully understands the concept and structures of hunting and the importance it plays in conservation. After all she invested in the private hunting reserve in Luangwa, and I am taking her son (second marriage) for his first hunt soon. This is what he wants to do and my wife Julie has readily endorsed his decision.

It is quite a simple arrangement and I have yet to come across such an extraordinary woman. As an added bonus she is stunningly beautiful.

CONCLUSION:

For those who are single or have problems in their marriage, join Oprah's site and start hitting on caroline6262.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
tu2
quote:

beer

Hey you cannot hide from AR?

I read this article but was more interested in the international comments. This is a classic forum for the antis to spit their venom.

What was of interest was that the majority either had no problems with or rather tolerated hunting. However there are some like caroline6262 who are truly rabid and so much so that a number of her comments were deleted from the forum. So I though I would politely point out some other facts to her.

Little does she now that my wife and best friend is also a vegetarian and who cannot tolerate the killing of animals. But and this is a big but, my girl fully understands the concept and structures of hunting and the importance it plays in conservation. After all she invested in the private hunting reserve in Luangwa, and I am taking her son (second marriage) for his first hunt soon. This is what he wants to do and my wife Julie has readily endorsed his decision.

It is quite a simple arrangement and I have yet to come across such an extraordinary woman. As an added bonus she is stunningly beautiful.

CONCLUSION:

For those who are single or have problems in their marriage, join Oprah's site and start hitting on caroline6262.

AS I have said many times before...death...is as much a part of life as life itself...one cannot exist without the other.

I am a veterinarian...and...bonafide animal lover. That said...I have ended the life of many...both hunting...and professionally. One of the most important things we can teach children is about death. They must come to learn the fact that without death...life cannot exist...and this is a multifacetted fact.

As afar as Ms. O goes...my family (all Beef Indusrty folks) have already dealt with her in regards to the lawsuit that the Texas Cattle Raisers filed against her when she made her ill-educated remarks about beef and Mad Cow Disease on her show.

Well as I have said before...I don't kill rattlesnakes just because they are rattlesnakes anymore. If they are in a safe place carrying on normal rattlesnake behaviour...I leave them alone. If they are in my front yard...I shoot there head off with my .410!

Ms. O and rattlesnakes pretty much fall in the same category for me...I trust neither...but leave them be until they invade my space...and then...

Cause...as has been said before...a rattlesnake is gonna be a rattlesnake. They NEVER change. I don't care how long you may have known a rattlesnake...how many times you have fed it...how many times you have provided it a safe haven...if you bare your hand and place it before its nose in trust...it IS going to bite...guaranteed! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good advise and well said mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im surprised no talks about the school that the Legendary Sam Pancotto built-donated in 1968(Which is still there) to the kids in British Honduras that occupies 300 kids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oprah Winfrey started her media career here in Nashville long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, as a TV weather girl. Among other things, she was one of the most beautiful young women I have ever seen, ethnicity be damned.

She is also, arguably, the most ambitious human on planet earth. Those here who have known her since way back when pretty much uniformly say that she is smart as hell, and intellectually honest, and very difficult to deal with.

Just some anecdotal ancient history to chew on

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
she is smart as hell, and intellectually honest, and very difficult to deal with.

Hmmm...I agree with the smart...no one gets where she is by being stupid...and...I can attest that she IS difficult to deal with...but...the intellectually honest part...well...as we already agreed...she is not stupid...so she must NOT be intellectually honest or she could NOT say and stand for the things she does! fishing

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
she is not stupid...so she must NOT be intellectually honest or she could NOT say and stand for the things she does! fishing

I'll bite. Yes she can be (though I wouldn't know). Logic is based on values. These values are not universal constants. It is possible for honest, intellgent people, presented with the same facts, to come to honest, intellegent conclusions that are mutually incompatible. No bad logic or stupidity necessary, just different values.

People are very good at justifying their beliefs. Frankly, they wouldn't hold them if they didn't make sense. From there it is a short (sighted) step to conclude that anyone with different beliefs is an irrational idiot.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
People are very good at justifying their beliefs.

I disagree with your logic here. Justification does NOT equal truth. Without truth...one cannot have honesty.

archer

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jeez! Before now, I have only consulted Oprah for relationship advice. Who knew?!?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Without truth...one cannot have honesty.
:

Facts is facts. Truth is a matter of faith and that will determine what value you put on the facts of a logical argument. I think the Buddhists got it right when they said "If you meet the Buddha on the road kill him." What they mean is that truth comes from within and all else is crap. That is what was in the back of my mind when I said people justify their beliefs. How many different Christian denominations have churches in Gainesville? All of them have the same ultimate source and somewhat different (and sometimes contradictory) veiws. All the people in all the different churches think and believe the view taken by their denomination is correct. If they didn't, they would go to a different church.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Facts is facts. Truth is a matter of faith and that will determine what value you put on the facts of a logical argument.

You are still confusing justification with truth. Truth = correct facts. Wink

While there maybe many "opinions" of the truth...there is only one truth. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lane,

The last time I heard talk like that was in an old kung fu movie.

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Lane,

The last time I heard talk like that was in an old kung fu movie.

Cheers

Andrew

Big Grin

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard Lane babble before but it was something about sore feet nice long relaxing walks in the shade and buffalo jumping sofa

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
Well hunters and huntresses, I've got a first for ya and I bet you never thought you'd live to see the day. The Queen of talk, OPRAH, has a hunting story in her December issue of O Magazine. (What next? With a little more urging, maybe Saeed, on the OPRAH show for a sit down interview.) Enjoy the article!

http://www.oprah.com/food/Wome...sss-Humbling-Harvest

Nah. Saeed would prefer the View. sofa

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Wasnt sure what to expect when I opened this one. I figured it would be about hunting BIG dangerous game, because that is for sure what Oprah is............

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm new here but somebody said"Oprah" and "Mount" in the same sentence...............you can't UNSAY something like that...........I won't eat for a week..........

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Well, we were keeping it classy.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to classy;
I beg you to forgive me. It started to get silly and I posted referencing the silly post.
I did not read the entire thread to evaluate the post count "tipping point" where the thread went from "silly" to. "Classy". I shall be more prudent.:-)

Again, forgive this ...........ah heck, it wasn't all that classy.
Of course there are all levels of class..........and "classy" does not define what class you mean.....could be avery low class.

Sillyness asside, I will read the whole thread before posting.. You are trying to further the sport.
That is real class......

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257x50
rotflmo I hope you don't lose that since of humor rotflmo thinking of the O and mounting does bring some really ugly thoughts to mind shocker one in particular involves a bear jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote