All Time BEST Safari book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Richard Harland's book is one of the best current books, likewise Ian Nyschen's "Months of the Sun"--I actually edited that book, a really tough job, but what a great story. So I don't have to backtrack, I should say that I do recommend "African Hunter II"--highly--but I don't get a royalty from that book, so have no dog in the fight! I am interested to hear the several comments on "Where Lions Roar" (which I do get a royalty on, so buy multiple copies!)--that book is 15 years old, and I sure would like to think I write better today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddly enough, I have tried to buy a couple of your books from Amazon and its sellers, specifically, Safari Rifles II and American Hunting Rifles, but they will not deliver to me in Japan for some reason.

I probably have read most of the old books, such as Selous, Stanley, Park, Roosevelt, Stigand, Bell, Carl Akeley, Roy Chapman Andrews, Siemel, et al., since I had access as a boy in the early 1950s to a little local school library in Ottawa Hills, next to my home town of Toledo, Ohio that had them all. Evidently some prosperous local citizen with similar tastes had donated them -- to my great personal benefit. I reread all of them several times.

I agree with the thought that there is no single perfect safari book. Some of you may not be familiar with the works of Frank "Bring Em Back Alive" Buck or Clyde Beatty. Though not exactly safari books, they cover much similar subjects.

Personally, I found Capstick's "Safari" to be very useful in deciding what to take to Africa. In particular, I remember his idea to include two wire mesh fly swatters, the very sturdy kind. Mulobesi in the dry season had plenty of tsetse.

I was amused, I guess, that immediately on arrival the PH wives "appropriated" both my fly swatters and put them to use. Those durable swatters were history in a day and a half.

Anjin, I don't know a damn thing about selling used shirts or underwear, but it irks me that you can't get my books in Japan. Probably the best solution is to go on-line to the publisher, Safari Press, at www.safaripress.com; or call them when convenient (714) 894 9080. My website is still down, so Safari Press is the best source.
BTW, great post, thanks!!!!!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Corbett leaves everyone in dust

Uh, yes, he does. Not Africa--Jim Corbett lived in India and retired and died in Kenya--what a shame he didn't put that talent to work writing about East Africa. But his stuff, to me, is the best of the best in the hunting genre. Up a small tree over a bullock, with a white rag around the muzzle to serve as a night-sight? And with no bravado, "just the facts, ma'am"... He also gets the "grande cojones" award!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
And with no bravado, "just the facts, ma'am"

Very much so with Corbett and also with Blixen. Almost everything that Blixen did seemed it could have happened on any other day. No fanfare, no embellishment, just an almost detached chronicle of the way things were. I think Beryl Markham said it best when she said he 'made mole-hills of mountains,' but there is no doubt of his ability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading a buff hunting article by Craig Boddington way back in the early eighties I guess.I still remember how well the follow up was described.I was wondering which is the best Boddington book of all time?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I remember reading a buff hunting article by Craig Boddington way back in the early eighties I guess.I still remember how well the follow up was described.I was wondering which is the best Boddington book of all time?

Not sure about "best", but "Shots at Big Game" is one that I find myself loaning out to new hunters- it's the best I've seen when it comes to practical explanations of field shooting.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is good to know.It could be that I liked Months of the sun so much because Boddington could have worked on it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always said to myself that if I can still remember something that is because it was good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ian was a product of English private schools, and his language was near-perfect. I've edited other Rhodesians, and it didn't really matter if they attended university or not; the writing was sound. But in Ian's case, well, every other page or so there was something that required a difficult decision as to whether it should appear in print or not. Ian Nyschens was the real deal and a hard man, so these decisions ran the gamut from allowing minor poaching to, perhaps, murder. I actually edited that book in my spare time during a summer exercise in Korea. Great book, amazing character...but really a tough editing job. WOW! I know, unfortunately, that Ian was not happy with some of the stuff that was omitted or "watered down," but I am very proud of the book that resulted...and in these times, nobody needs to know about some of the stuff that was left out...

I got into a fairly interesting debate about Nyschens' book with Barrie Duckworth on a long drive from Moz to Harare. To sum it up BD fully agreed with CB's concepts of what to keep out of the book and I wanted to hear it all. I had 2 points. Firstly, there is selfish curiosity. The second point is that the stories are worth preserving and book will outlive us all. Perhaps after all of the principals and their children are gone the original manuscript can be re-edited without causing unnecessary offense. Times change after all.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is no statute of limitations on some alleged crimes, and allegedly criminal homicide is one of them.

When and where prosecutors are inclined (or compelled) to act from political motives, that fact is good to remember.

Good job, Craig. tu2

I would, however, enjoy reading an unexpurgated new edition. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Jim Corbett by far gentlemen
It met be in India, but ...
Biggest classic of all times without the doubt

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read with interest the opinions on this post and I agree most of these books are excellent...for me the one I'm reading at the moment is always the best one. However, the most intriguing one I've resd has not shown up on this post. It is probably my favorite because my PH of the very first safari gave this book to me. I am interested to know if anyone has come accross it as well..... "Sand in the Wind" written by a man named Keith Meadows...a fictional Novel about the life of a park ranger just before, during and after the building of Lake Kariba....a very good read, I would reccommend it to anyone. But for me is special and captures what I imagine was a bitter sweet time in Rhodesia.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Tsavo man eaters was the only book I read twice.

Death in the long grass is always going to be a classic.

Any of Jim Corbett's writing will beat anything that was written about Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tsavo man eaters was the only book I read twice.

How bloody apropos considering current events....glad you will be able to read it a third time ;-)

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:

Not sure about "best", but "Shots at Big Game" is one that I find myself loaning out to new hunters- it's the best I've seen when it comes to practical explanations of field shooting.

Some may be amused to know that when I moved to Japan 20 years ago, the only "safari" books I brought along were a couple of Jim Corbett's books and early editions of Patterson's Man-Eaters of Tsavo and In the Grip of the Nyika. (I had bought those at the old H&H shop in London.) Sadly, though I wrapped them carefully, the very dry hard covers of the latter two were quite shattered when they got here.

Many of you know that the Tsavo lion skins reside in the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, where I have seen them many times. The mounts are old fashioned, but very intimidating. Patterson sold them to Marshall Field after giving a lecture there. Before "The Lion and the Darkenss" was released, I urged the museum to highlight the connection with its exhibit and I am pleased to say they did.

Curiously, while Amazon won't ship some of Craig's books to Japan, I did get "Shots At Big Game" about a week ago and I am reading it now.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have a big library thanks that most of my clients brings me books about Africa hunting ,i love Ruarks books -i haven them all-Peter Capstick favourite is WARRIOR ,but i love them ,NYATI a gift of my good friend Ganyana is a must read on buffalo hunting,Perfect Shot -thanks gatogordo-is a geat book for any african hunter,and of course Bodingtons books are a must specially SAFARI RIFLES ONE AND TWO AND WHEN THE LIONS ROARS just given to my by BOB MOORE .
I have many more and all of them have nice words from my friends,and everynigth i read a bit of one of them, even on safari .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am reading "HEAT, THIRST & IVORY" by Everett. Excellent story.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of lonestar2075
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'm being a bit cliche, but I love nearly every one of Capstick's books I can get my hands on. 'Death in the Long Grass' has to be my favorite of his. I'm sure a bunch of his stories are a bit exaggerated, but he definitely knew how to bring in the reader in every one of his pieces!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure I'm being a bit cliche, but I love nearly every one of Capstick's books I can get my hands on. 'Death in the Long Grass' has to be my favorite of his. I'm sure a bunch of his stories are a bit exaggerated, but he definitely knew how to bring in the reader in every one of his pieces!

I love Capstick and something I think is amazing is that I was in Barnes and Noble a week ago and they had Death in the Long Grass, Death in the Silent PLaces and Death in the Dark Continent, ON THE SHELF! Love him or hate him or somewhere in between, it's pretty impressive to have these books on the shelf for so long. Viva la Capstick!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Shangaan Song by David Hume

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me Ron Thompson. Also no nonsense factual writing that kept me glued to the books.

Posts: 67 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 19 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Craig,

You mentioned in one of your books that you occasionally edited some of Elmer Keith's stuff, and that was rough .... would this be more or less rough? Smiler

I quite liked a lot of Elmer's stuff, you just had to pretend you were listening to him talk and it'd sort of get to you - the repetitions and so on.

Well, more difficult in a different sort of way. Elmer's work was more a matter of translating into the Queen's English--grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. Ian was a product of English private schools, and his language was near-perfect. I've edited other Rhodesians, and it didn't really matter if they attended university or not; the writing was sound. But in Ian's case, well, every other page or so there was something that required a difficult decision as to whether it should appear in print or not. Ian Nyschens was the real deal and a hard man, so these decisions ran the gamut from allowing minor poaching to, perhaps, murder. I actually edited that book in my spare time during a summer exercise in Korea. Great book, amazing character...but really a tough editing job. WOW! I know, unfortunately, that Ian was not happy with some of the stuff that was omitted or "watered down," but I am very proud of the book that resulted...and in these times, nobody needs to know about some of the stuff that was left out...

Thank you, Craig. I have met people like that - some of the old Congo mercenaries were "rough trade" indeed as well. Haven't met any of that lot since the 60's though .... (when I was a a boy). Some stories are probably better left untold, I suppose .... Frowner

Would love to know them, but we all know that sometimes it's good not to give ammunition to people who won't understand.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:

Some may be amused to know that when I moved to Japan 20 years ago, the only "safari" books I brought along were a couple of Jim Corbett's books and early editions of Patterson's Man-Eaters of Tsavo and In the Grip of the Nyika. (I had bought those at the old H&H shop in London.) Sadly, though I wrapped them carefully, the very dry hard covers of the latter two were quite shattered when they got here.

Many of you know that the Tsavo lion skins reside in the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, where I have seen them many times. The mounts are old fashioned, but very intimidating. Patterson sold them to Marshall Field after giving a lecture there. Before "The Lion and the Darkenss" was released, I urged the museum to highlight the connection with its exhibit and I am pleased to say they did.

Curiously, while Amazon won't ship some of Craig's books to Japan, I did get "Shots At Big Game" about a week ago and I am reading it now.

Amazon won't ship Safari Rifles II to Australia either ... they sent me "Months of the Sun" and a few others, but not that one ....

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
For old Africa hands - John Osborne's books. Can't remember the names offhand, but "A Guiding Son" seems to ring a bell. He was a ranger at Gonarhezou before Ron Thompson - no love lost there.

Fairly light reading .....

Reading between the lines, I suspect a "difficult" person, but liked the stories.

The last one was ended by his wife after he died of emphysema .... rather touching.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although Ian Nyschens' Moths of the Sun is great, I think his Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter was better, ....possibly since I understand it didn't really get edited. ........one book I won't forget!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 56 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ~Arctic~:
Although Ian Nyschens' Moths of the Sun is great, I think his Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter was better, ....possibly since I understand it didn't really get edited. ........one book I won't forget!

I have looked for his "Butterflys," but no luck. sofa

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Since getting hooked on elephant hunting, one my my favorite is Craig Boddington's on elephants. Owned it 6 months and read it four times already.
Thanks Craig and I think in modern African hunting era you are the best by far. Nobody comes even close.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to answer. My favorites -

The Land of Footprints by Stewart Edward White
A Hunter's Wanderings In Africa by FC Selous

African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt

King of the Wa-Kikuyu by John Boyes

The Hunter's Path by Uwe Kai Denker

I have read about 150 Africa safari type books. I wrote reviews and ranked each based on my personal tastes. I prefer books with some "thinking" in them, not just a "I shot this and saw that" type of book.

Ian Nychens book was very good as was Fred Everett's books. Ruark is entertaining. Capstick is, well, Capstick. I like C Boddington's for information, especially Safari II. All of Peter Flack's books are great reads as well. Of the list above, I like Selous for the action and his style. For "thinking", Uwe Denker's book is fascinating. Stewart Edward White wrote several books at the turn of the 19th century that are very interesting and fun to read. He writes like a kid seeing something for the first time. Corbett is my favorite but he only wrote about his work in India. He was an impressive writer and person.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I cannot begin to pick a favorite or a best.

The best today is Ron Thomson's Black Rhino. It just arrived today in the mail and so I can start it today! Big Grin All of Ron's books are very good.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
For old Africa hands - John Osborne's books. Can't remember the names offhand, but "A Guiding Son" seems to ring a bell. He was a ranger at Gonarhezou before Ron Thompson - no love lost there.

Fairly light reading .....

Reading between the lines, I suspect a "difficult" person, but liked the stories.

I have a few books by old Rhodesian parks people, and if you pay attention it is obvious that they did not all get along.

And to keep in the spirit of the thread - there were three that really go me hooked:

Pondoro
Hunter
Death in the Long Grass

Of my most recent reads, I'll join the echo chamber, Ron Thomson's now 4 book series about his career - the guy has writing skills...

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Capstick was a brilliant writer for sure...I love his early stuff. Death in the Long Grass will always be a classic as will Ruark's Horn of the Hunter.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote