New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volunteer opportunities in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the opportunity to spend January and February abroad from the United States, and I am trying to figure out what to do.

I could easily spend that time living on the beach in Mexico, but I thought you folks might have some ideas on how to get me to Africa.

Ideally, I’d like to work for a place to stay, at a minimum I would not need to be paid, and would provide my own airfare.

I thought about South Africa, but would be open to anywhere. Id love the opportunity to go hunting, even just for birds.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my personal experience most/all "volunteer" opportunities in Africa that are interesting are pay-to-volunteer type gigs. The only exceptions I have seen have been through churches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa doesn't need you to volunteer unless you have some highly specialized skills in medicine or engineering. The unemployment rate is astronomical so they don't need people showing up offering to work for free. If you want to help then go there and spend money as a tourist or hunter like most of us on this site do.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo what others have said, but that is also a bad time for operators in Southern Africa. It’s hot and many might be doing the various shows in the US.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
First thing to consider is that it is very hot over there in Jan and February.

A inexpensive way to go over there and learn about hunting is to enroll in a PH class. There are several Outfitters that offer the class with lodging on their farms. Most also offer commercial hunting. Some advice. Try not to let them know that you are an American because you will most likely have to pay more. Make sure you are in a class that is taught in English and not Afrikaans. You are going to have to spend some time at government offices getting all of the proper documentation. It is a real head ache so you need to get there a week early. If you just want to take the class and not get your license then you do not have to do all the paperwork. RSA government offices are extremely slow. Imagine DMV times five.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Beach in Mexico sounds good to me !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Getting a work permit in some countries in Africa is a nightmare in paperwork, even for citizens of neighboring African countries.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have some rare and unusual skill that is in high demand in Africa, the only thing you can volunteer for is to pay a daily rate.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote