Find
Notify
Tools

Single Shot Safari Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

I am curious how many of you have used a single shot on safari in Africa...and if so, what was it?

Second, if you were going to build a single shot for safari what would it be?

My current project is a Ruger No. 1 in .303 British (possibly going to be .303 Epps)with a quarter rib, express sights, and barrel band sling swivel. I'm hoping to find a perfect piece(s) of wood for it.

The next step will be to build a matching Ruger No.1 in .470 Nitro...but that will have to wait. I'm in Stellenbosch, and most of my stuff is in Oregon...

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I used a 45/70 sharps calvary carbine and took some plainsgame with it. I took a ruger #1 in 458lott as a backup gun for DG but only shot a few baboons with it. Ended up using the bolt for ele and buff.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1 in 500 nitro
Several buff, 2 elephant, some kudu.
I am building a second rifle in 300 H&H to compliment the 500 so I have a matched pair of classic calibres which can take anything Africa has to offer

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted and old Farq-----n single shot in 404 Jefferys..I love single shots and may one day own a No.1 in a real big bore....I have owned a number of different SS rifles over the years. I have had some funny experiences with them such as missing a shot at a huge whitetail, and cutting the next loaded case completely in half before it seated fully on loading, guess I was in a hurry to get that second shot off! Several other incidense that would have all rolling in the floor.

But, for DG I still think it wise to have a repeater, just good common since and a since of survival thats kept me around for a long time...but that is an individual appraisal.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I took my #1H in .375 to RSA as a back up rifle on a plainsgame hunt. I shot only one animal w/ it but that Gemsbuck went down like a stone. It has since been rebarreled to a .338x74Keith. I think a .300h&h would be very classic as well as a 9.3x74R & capable for all of the African antelope. Ray is right though, a double or bolt gun is the way to go for DG.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Ruger No. 1 in 45/70 with a small Leupold on top. It is certianly a compact and handy rifle. Never been to Africa, but the groundhogs here in Pa can get plenty big!

steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The old farquharson is a bit of a surly old girl

Alf, can you talk about this a little more? Would love to hear about your experiencs with the Farqs. I've long admired them, believe them to be the most beautiful of any rifle made. I've long thought about trying to get my hands on one, but they just haven't become a priority until lately.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. I think it will be fun to take my .303 Ruger No.1 out into the bushveld when it gets done. I think I'll put a 24-26" barrel on it, which will give me 2250 fps with 215 gr. Woodleighs, or 2450 fps if I use the .303 Epps.

I know from experience how well those long bullets penetrate on plains game, and I think it will be a classy combination.

Not too sure how much DG that I'll hunt with the .470 when it gets done (years from now, probably), since I have a Ruger .416 Rigby, but I'll probably have to try it at least once.

I think if I was to get a single shot .45-70, it would be a NEF Handi-Rifle to ride around in the truck.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote