New
Find
Notify
Tools

new ammo from Hornady....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought a 450-400 No.1 would be the perfect mating of cartridge and firearm. However, I won't hold my breath. You all know how it is with Ruger. Make the announcement, start doing lots of advertising, then a few years later start to trickle a few guns into the marketplace. By the time you can actually find one for sale, I lose interest. Latest examples: Redhawk Alaskan, Gold Label and the 9.3X74R.

I got tired of waiting for Ruger to make a 450-400 years ago and got one with a custom barrel. I love it. If you get tired of waiting for Ruger, see your gunsmith.

Come to think of it, I have a No.1S in the safe that would look great with a 26" 9.3x74R barrel. Off to the gunsmith I go...

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:

quote:
Where is the .404jeffery?!?!?!?!?!?

Where it belongs in History.

Dr B

It's alive and well, thank you!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dr B

I just can't see a whole lot of 450-400 being sold but I'll bet there would be wuite a bit of .404 jeffery selling plus we would have some nice affordable bullets, made in the USA, for practice & smaller big game hunting. dancing

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dr B

"Dr B" has got to stand for "Drool Bucket." Roll Eyes

Wait a minute. Was this some attempt at humor? If so, it did not succeed in being droll, just drool.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
RIP, you are in rare form these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Did anyone else notice the different scope rings on this M77? Looks like bases and quick detach rings instead of Rugers standard scope mounting system. Wonder if there's going to be a change in the 77's across the board?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MR,
Thanks. I appreciate that. I realize I am a mental midget compared to your wit. It's Veteran's Day! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
D,
I assumed those were just the Warne QD, used to dress up the photo a bit. If so, bona fide Ruger rings with Falcon Industries QD levers added would be better.

If Ruger makes a new QD-Lever ring that would be a good thing most likely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
Boom,

the .450/400 is capable of a bit more, Hornady appears to have gotten reloading data from the corporate liabillity lawyers. Wink Frowner

Nope. They load it to remain within CIP specs.

The original standards for the .450/.400 3" NE were for a 400 grain bullet at 2,125 fps FROM A 30" BARREL, and that remains the standard today - check Kynoch's web site. Late run original 60 Cordite Kynoch runs 2,050 fps in 24" barrels with good throats. From 1920 to 1973 Kynoch was the ONLY commercial loader of this cartrige. Of the .450/.400 3" rifles in service today, 95+% are pre-war British doubles that were regulated with the original Kynoch Cordite ammunition. It would be really stupid to produce factory ammunition that wouldn't regulate in most of the rifles chambered for it.

I was in fairly regular contact with the tech guys at Hornady during the development of this load. Hornady went out of their way to match the original 60 Cordite Kynoch load exactly. Their load gives 2,050 fps in 24" barrels, same as the original factory load. It hasn't been limited due to concern over variation in groove diameters, it matches the original.

After WWII, Kynoch seems to have felt the need to compromise on the bullet diameter of the .400s, and began loading .410" bullets in both cartridges. They shot well in both .408" and .411" barrels. Hornady has done the same thing. Their pressure testing in this regard was predictable. They tested full power loads with .410" bullets in both .410" and .408" pressure barrels. IIRC, the difference in pressure was something like 600 PSI.

Also, I'm told the solid for this cartridge won't be of the current design. It will be a copper clad, steel jacketed solid.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"zoomed in on the picture and took some measurements, then assumed the bullet OD was .375 and multiplied through by the fraction.
So here's a SWAG
Rim .502"
Base .524
shoulder .498
neck .400
case length 2.480
to shoulder 2.08
to neck 2.177
this is worth exactly what it cost you. nothing.
Any word on how much the rifles will be?"

More Powder, Bigger Bullets.
Lar45

These measurments are from Lar45.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be hard to understand why they would not make the rim and base diameter anything but 0.532".

Those dimensions posted are indeed, as said, worth what you paid for them. Send out the scouts, and hope they don't have to wait until the Shot Show to get the poop on the .375 Ruger.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If this load is producing 2050fps with a 24# barrel, what can be expected from a 26# barrel such as Searcys?
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
If this load is producing 2050fps with a 24# barrel, what can be expected from a 26# barrel such as Searcys?
ozhunter

About 2090 fps.

However, methinks Searcy may have regulated his for hotter loads, more like 2150 fps in a 26". Still very mild.

Any new Searcy orders could specify regulation for the Hornady loads, which are supposed to be spot on for the orginal cordite regulated rifles.

I would rather handload for a Searcy. Hornady will be a good brass source, however, while it lasts. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what everybody is all whiney about on the .450-400 ammo issue. At least we will now have cheap source for brass for at leat one NE cartridge.

Now I shall pray..... Dear Saint Rigby lord of all rimmed NE DR's and all those humble servants who use them in the field. Please let Ruger come out with a .470 NE Ruger next year.And please let Hornandy make factory ammo for it. All I really want is the cheap brass..But I'll buy a number 1 if thou shall requirith of me to make thy prayers come true.

Amen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
how does the ruger 375 case compare dimentionally to the dakota 375 case
daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
no relationship to the 375 dak.. the dak is from the 404 case.

i understand the 375 ruger to be .532 at base and rim.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote