THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    can you call in jackels like coyotes??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can you call in jackels like coyotes??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I was wondering since a jackel looks so much like a coyote, are they called in the same way a coyote would be??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Yes,

Use the same calls and stand selction as you would for coyotes.

Be ready for quick and fast shooting.

My last evening out I shot 9 in 120 min on two stand.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first Zim safari I took my .222 Sako and my varmint calls and my PH was estatic.Livestock was calving and the jackals were everywhere.We had a ball calling both day and night.I gave the PH all the hides but one which I had shipped home. He wanted to have a coat made for his wife, but I dont remember we killed enough for a coat.
While in Botswana hunting buffalo the PH wouldn't let me call in camp. Said he disliked leopards in his camp.

Sam

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
We were successful in SA using an electronic calling system.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
or use your call to stop one you happen to come across- esp if it starts to trot away, a quick call will freeze it and get it to look back long enough to get a shot off

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have taken 5-10 different calls with me to Africa during the last 3 trips and I can't see going over there now without them.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
They come like Ducks to corn bread!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
A Roger Whittall Safaris tracker, Isaac Bangai, is brilliant at calling in Jackals, without a varmint caller.

Slightly off topic, but my great uncle, Ian de la Rue, was pretty successful calling lions in. He used an empty dip drum to amplify his realistic lion soundings and shot quite a few lions in that manner.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That would be most awesome to call lions in on a hunt. A hair raising experience I would guess.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Ann,

I trust you are well. My great uncle was actually not sport hunting when he called the lions in, though I'm sure that didn't detract from the intensity of it all. Those were the cattle heydays (cringe), and they used to kill lions by any means possible - shooting, trapping, whatever. On one 80 000 acre property, Ian de la Rue and his faithful sidekick, Pencil, killed well over 300 lions in thirty odd years. Quite sad, really. At least we've seen the error of our ways eh?

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Hello Ann,

I trust you are well. My great uncle was actually not sport hunting when he called the lions in, though I'm sure that didn't detract from the intensity of it all. Those were the cattle heydays (cringe), and they used to kill lions by any means possible - shooting, trapping, whatever. On one 80 000 acre property, Ian de la Rue and his faithful sidekick, Pencil, killed well over 300 lions in thirty odd years. Quite sad, really. At least we've seen the error of our ways eh?

Dave

Dave,

I have heard of Pencil some where...

Cant remember where but if I remember correctly he had lots of intresting lion hunting stories...

Might be wrong

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Jakkals,

Pencil plays a prominent role in my book and you may have come across a copy somewhere.

Pencil truly was an amazing character. He worked for my great uncle from 1936 until his retirement around about 1980. His sole job was the killing of predators - lions, leopards, wild-dogs, whatever. He died in 2001, aged about 100, though nobody knew his exact age.
Pencil was my hero.

Dave

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you have a better than average chance of a leopard in your lap trying to call in jackels? Eeker

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like fun. Would it work with caracals as well? What specific calls do you recommend? I would love to give it a try this year in Namibia.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were using a game call in Namibia when this guy came in on a dead run.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

That would get the blood pumping.

Predator calls certainly work, we were buggering around with one in the Namibian part of the Kalahari and played a lion roaring a few times......... well the lions in Botswana answered in a very positive way Wink

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,

You can call in Caracal as well as Leopard with Predator calls.

Have a couple of friends that called in leopard while targeting jackal.

My biggest perdator I called in was a Brown Heyena. Was need to get him upto 30 odd yards from the pick up.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have a sheep ranch and jackal and caracal are the main difference between a profit and a loss at the end of the year.
In this area, the jackal are extremely clever and have learnt the dangers of predator calls. There are guys whose sole job in life is as a predator hunter for them and, while they made good money not long ago, it is getting more and more difficult to kill any but the young and stupid using the calls.
Incidentally, I saw lions being called in using recordings of a kill with hyenas, etc. Very interesting and thrilling.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,

Guys like Hendrik v Rensburg killed a lot of jackal and I learned a lot from him.

With over 7000 jackal and 3000 caracal under his belt he as a ton of experiance + he is an very good shot at night.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za