THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Know any good African Hunting videos

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know any good African Hunting videos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some of (gasp) Mark Sullivans. I like them, yeah I know.....
I also have;
Capstick's Hunting the African Elephant and Cabela's Elephant Hunting....I like these as well. I have one from Roger Raglin about using Black Powder guns...Oh my God is he annoying, What a giggling idiot. Could have been a good Video.
Anyway, any other videos out there which are worth watching?

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post

There is a great video " in the jaws of simba" shows what happens when a cat gets to close to you...Also the scene shows some cool headed shooting to shoot the cat off PH...
Do a search using in the jaws of simba small video clip..
Cat was hit in the mouth on the charge...Let me know how you like it...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmen on Film presents Ken Wilson, The South African 37. The 37 species required for the PHASA Award, includes 30 on-camera hunts.

Hunting Wild Africa. Join Bill Carvajal on location in Wild-Africa as he hunts the African Big-5. Includes elephant, buffalo, leopard, rhino, hippo, sable, kudu, bushbuck, klipspringer, and crocodile.

I bought, but would not recommend, Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild, Parts VII & VIII--double length video. Messy hunts that start with a bow and end up with a handgun. He's also preachy and long-winded.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SA 37 is a very informative video and ole Cappy explains the Rock Springer, eh. Two of the best I think are Lee Lipscomb's Spiral Horn Quest and Zambia Safari : Bangweulu Swamps. The latter had a 400+ yd shot on a Sitatunga. I guess I like the two best because of the Spiral horned game. For a gut wrencher Leopard Charge does it with the cat being shot the victim. I also like the six Capstick videos but the best is his Last Safari. I have well over 30 Africian videos and the above are the best in my humble opinion. Oh yea I have one of my Green Rino hunt which is by far the best.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There are a few that are quite good, and the best are of bradcast quality.

www.outdoorvisions.com has many that are very good. If you are interested they even sell Mark Sulivan tapes. All the Capstick tapes are good ones, as well as any of the Jeff Rann tapes. If you liked the Sulivan tapes, then you probably like double rifle footage, if so, there are several tapes that feature double rifle hunting.

1 WITH DEADLY INTENT

2 DANGEROUS GAME AND DOUBLE RIFLES

3 HUNTERS AND IVORY

4 DEATH BY DOUBLE RIFLE

5 QWATALI

All the above are $29.95 each, and all are very good tapes. I have over 100 African hunting tapes, most comercial, some my own, and some of friends, but Outdoor Visions has a very good selection, and most are well worth the $29.95 tag. Like anything else there are some duds in there, but those are mostly North American hunting tapes. They tend to be very amateurish, and more comercials for one particular brand of gun or bow, than they are about hunting

These films are a good way to while away the deep snow, or off season when there is no hunting to do!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arthur Dubs' "Land of Kilimanjaro" Franz Wengert is the P.H.

"In the Blood" good African hunting documentary (not a lot of kill shots) but well worth watching.

IMO three great commercial African movies

Ghost and the Darkness

Mountains of the Moon (search for the source of the Nile by Sir Richard Burton and John Speke) one of my all-time favorite movies

The Macomber Affair (Hemingway's short story)

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Hallo to all

Hatari with the Duke, not a hunting movie but an Africa movie and great fun to watch. Also Out of Africa.
I have many DVD from outdoor vision and they are not all great some are just so poorly made that it makes you wonder if the know how to operate a camera and edit the material.
If a camera man can not hold the camera still when a shot is being fired.. then go home and make movies about clams.
The MS movies are top quality productions do not expect all hunting movies to be like that. His camera man is no pussy and he knows that Mark will TCB in a flash.

The Danish movie maker Poul Erik Madsen/Hunters videos
http://www.huntersvideo.dk/ has some great Africa hunting movies and the production is top draw.
They feature PH Luke Samaras, Raimer Elis-Josh and Nigel Archer(TGTS)and others - a must se The Movie Serengeti 1 & 2 with American Tommy Hass is very good also the Movies Masailand 1 & 2 are exelent.
If you are interested then contact the company and ask them for a DVD that shows what movies the have and I think they will send you one free.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Ken Wilson of [ Sportsmen on Film ] has a range of hunting video's, including one documentary filmed at our ranch in Zambia last year ... This and some of the other titles are also available in DVD format

Anyhow here is his webpage link with the list :

Hunting & Shooting Video's & DVD

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hallo to all

I have many DVD from outdoor vision and they are not all great some are just so poorly made that it makes you wonder if the know how to operate a camera and edit the material.
If a camera man can not hold the camera still when a shot is being fired.. then go home and make movies about clams.
Cheers,

Andr�

ANDRE outdoor visions, does not make movies, they only sell them. the films they sell are made by many different companies, and as I said some are real duds, but any film available from almost anyone is available from Outdoor Visions!

I've seen most of what is available, and if anyone has questions about a spicific film, name it and I'll review it as best as I can!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Arthur Dubs' "Land of Kilimanjaro" Franz Wengert is the P.H.

"In the Blood" good African hunting documentary (not a lot of kill shots) but well worth watching.

IMO three great commercial African movies

Ghost and the Darkness

Mountains of the Moon (search for the source of the Nile by Sir Richard Burton and John Speke) one of my all-time favorite movies

The Macomber Affair (Hemingway's short story)

Man what luck, I saw the Mountains of the moon years ago and loved it but I couldn't remember the name, thanks...

Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hatari with the Duke, not a hunting movie but an Africa movie and great fun to watch.

Just a tidbit from my time in Iraq.

Having virtually no form of entertainment save for what people sent me (DVDs and magazines -- and God bless all of you who sent such), I'd occasionally order DVDs from Amazon.

Well, loving "Hatari!" such as I do, I bought it on DVD (several of us had access to laptops that could play them and some of the folks bought those little DVD players) and proceeded to watch it one night.

When it got to the scene where John Wayne was warning off the elephant with two quick shots from his .458 Winchester Magnum... I thought I noticed something I'd never seen before. Having the ability, with the DVD and my nice combat-pay-bought-it Dell laptop, I proceeded to examine that scene more closely.

With some creative editing of sound and photography, you "think" you see the Duke fire two rounds from the rifle. Sadly, I must report that you do not.

What you see, CLEARLY, if you look closely enough and pay attention (and, in my off hours in Iraq, I had nothing to do but replay any scene I wanted a gazillion times if it so moved me), is John Wayne firing a shot, lifting the bolt handle, pulling the bolt back, the spent case goes flying, he pushes the bolt forward... and MISSES on the stroke to push down the bolt handle. In fact, it looks like he doesn't even get the bolt rammed home, let alone the bolt handle down. Still, his hand goes down as his finger reaches for the trigger for the second shot -- which is heard, but not seen, because you see the elephant backing up as the second shot is fired.

Quite depressing, since that was pretty much my favorite scene out of the entire movie. Still, it was pretty slick editing and I love the movie -- and will... forgivingly... watch it many more times before I die. Great soundtrack, too, by the way -- also available from Amazon.com and other retailers of such items.

Take care.

Bwana Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, you were bored......

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Man, you were bored......

You think so?

For REAL off-duty excitement, we'd sit around in the "warm, summer evenings" and watch each other sweat.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post

You should get a hold of the movies that die ou jagter has. it is the ones that I have been telling you about from the Danish producer Poul Erik Madsen (Hunters Videos) Masailand 1 & 2 and the cape buffalo movie are both very good educational and exiting.
Go for it They are very different from the "American" ones

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the Robert Ruark video "On Safari"? I have been looking for a copy. Outdoor Visions used to carry it but they pulled it a few years ago.

Posts: 11 | Location: Alaska/Colorado | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Has anyone seen the Robert Ruark video "On Safari"? I have been looking for a copy. Outdoor Visions used to carry it but they pulled it a few years ago.

CAC,

See my post in this thread:

VHS of "On Safari with Robert Ruark"

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bob, Thanks for the info. I am still looking as I know there are a few out there somewhere. I was told about it by a PH from Zim. who had bought a copy from Outdoor Visions during the brief time they had it for sale.

Posts: 11 | Location: Alaska/Colorado | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With Quote