THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many bow hunt or wish to bow hunt Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many bow hunt or wish to bow hunt Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new location which has not been trophy hunted for a very long time. Private owner no hunting for about 25 years. He died and left to property to somebody who wants to make enough money to pay the bills, but not really run a hunting camp. This place is a wonderful Archery location with all stone blinds and concrete floors. No squeeks, no rattles, just perfect "rock solid" (literally) blinds. They are also about 15 deg cooler inside then the outside temps.

While I was there this past June I suggested we alter them just enough to have Archery potential from these locations. The blinds were for game viewing over water. The distance for the shots would be about 15-40 yards. As a Bow hunter myself for almost all my life I see the real potential for this to be a dream archery hunting location.

As a matter of fact this year I will bring a bow Myself and just leave it at my lodge permanently. The other beauty is no hassle with gun permits!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
What species are on offer?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention it, but what kinds of game are available on this place?

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all the typical stuff in the limpopo province. No Black wildebeast, or Springbok, Some Gemsbok. Otherwise all the standard species. If interested I have an Email I can send out. Just Email me.

jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pictures I took in June.

Tucked into the Bush is one of the hides

Another hide in a better light for a clearer picture

An inside view looking out the opening to the water. The foam covered seat is on welded angle iron channels, no squeeks or rattles.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
How large is the property?

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's in sections because of the easement rights for people to drive across. The biggest section is about 10K acres, I think thats 15-16 square miles. The smallest section is about 4K acres. It's actually a little advantage for hunters to hunt on land like this when we have several groups or couples. You will have a section to yourself the whole day. This way you will not see another hunter in your section. Nothing worse then sitting for a few hours waiting for the closing daylight, or "Witching hour" only to hear a vehicle approaching your hide!

One other comment I will make is that due to some significant grazing and browsing without any serious hunting this property has much more open bush then what is typical in the Northern Provonce. They really need a population reduction here!

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
JJack - Do you only hunt in RSA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bow hunted there in '03. It was a totally different experience than rifle hunting. The animals seem to just spring up out of the ground.

I got a 29" waterbuck, 51" kudu (my hands still tremble just remembering the sight of him at 25 yards), warty, impala and my wariest trophy ... a guinea.

BTW - Thats a nice looking hide. I like the ventilated roof. It gets hot in those things.

"If you hunt to eat, or hunt for sport for something fine, something that will make you proud, and make you remember every single detail of the day you found him and shot him, that is good too." – Robert Chester Ruark

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's 15 deg cooler in there then outside. The poured cement floor and stone walls is like airconditioning! We never like to use thatch for the hides. To likely Bugs take up residence off season and you never get them out after that. The tin is vermin resistant and allows a draft. I have actually been cold in these stone hides at times. Even when 90deg F outside.

I also had the roofs rasied about 20 more inches to allow standing shots with the bow shooting over the top of the front wall.

I don't hunt anyplace anylonger where I feel it's just not fun where the government or situation is dangerous or unacceptable. My philosophy is simple I will not hunt or arange a hunt anyplace I would not bring my wife. I'm not talking about the game but rather the laws and politics. I have not hunted in Zim since the June July 2000 season.

I do have access to great buffalo hunting on Zambia though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:
I don't hunt anyplace anylonger where I feel it's just not fun where the government or situation is dangerous or unacceptable. My philosophy is simple I will not hunt or arange a hunt anyplace I would not bring my wife. I'm not talking about the game but rather the laws and politics. I have not hunted in Zim since the June July 2000 season.

That is laughable! RSA has very strong anti-white and anti-landowner politics going on, and the worst violent crime south of the Sahara Desert. Perhaps not where you hunt, but within the country itself which was the point you were making. Zim is actually a much safer destination.

I suspect the reason so many RSA outfitters badmouth Zim is that they cannot compete with Zim on price. But that is just my opinion.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. I just got my first bow a few weeks ago, so I think I'll pass on dropping 10 grand to find out I can't shoot it very well yet!

So far, though, I am deadly to 15 yds Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 grains, maybe you have to live there a while before you understand my view. Once you spend time in both places for long periods it's an easy difference. From the value of currency showing the stability and infrastructure difference to the fuel shortages, to the USA state dept. warnings. I was working hunts in Zim but its just not worth the stress to me and my family any longer. It has nothing to do with badmouthing Zim because I have a business in RSA. If the condidtions were better I would still be doing almost all my DG hunts in ZIM. It may be laughable to you but that actually reflects more on your first hand knowlegde then my opinion or decisions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I traveled to the area Harhare in Zimbabawe twice a year for 5 years to do business. Our clients were wealthy Dutch gentlemen whom owned their own hunting preserve of about 6000 acres. The usual meetings took place till roughly 2 Pm then a lunch and if interested we were welcomed to an afternoon hunt.
The first few years I either borrowed a rifle from the owners or took my own. I mentioned that I would like to try my hand at sitting a blind with my archery gear asking if I may bring it the next trip. Our hosts were more than eager for me to do so, so I packed my 60# compound and 2 doz shafts along the following flight.
I was fortunate to kill zebra, orbi, bushbuck, a 53" kudu and a warthog during the course of the 10 days I was there. all my hosts asked was that I did not try killing a cape buffalo with my bow.... I easily could have as I had 2 nice herd bulls at different times within 20 yds broadside.
Since that time the Dutch have contracted with a PH to sell archery only hunts for surplus animals...I have thought of returning for a sable and a cape buffalo with my bow. I am booked for Namibia next August but am pondering adding a trip to that for the buffalo/sable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was fortunate to kill zebra, orbi, bushbuck, a 53" kudu and a warthog during the course of the 10 days I was there. all my hosts asked was that I did not try killing a cape buffalo with my bow.... I easily could have as I had 2 nice herd bulls at different times within 20 yds broadside.

Cats,

Have you posted any pics here of those bow hunts? Elsewhere? If not, would like to see them when you can post them. Thanks.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Dream hunt

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
JJack - I'm looking for a Buff Bowhunt on open range(No fences). I'd prefer hunting with a PH that is also a bow hunter. Can you offer me something like that in Zambia?

Also, I don't care about staying lodge or having butler service. I'd sleep in the bakkie if that's what it would take to get in bow range of an old dugga boy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you offer me something like that in Zambia?

Are you wanting an Opinion or Facts?

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dung: seems apparent by your 2 latest posts you're more intent of trolling than civil posting.As you should know by now (because you've asked me several times in other threads) I do not do hero pics nor do I believe in posting them. Cats

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not do hero pics

I do believe that part of what you said.

DB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys start a new thread ok this is not even close to the topic I posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ: I most whole heartily agree with you,a very few posters on AR just can't seem to post anything without doing their best to flame others. cats
BTW please send me an email on your archery hunts buffalohunter678@aol.com
thank you,sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
quote:

Dungbeetle

Cats,

Have you posted any pics here of those bow hunts? Elsewhere? If not, would like to see them when you can post them. Thanks.

DB

Dungbeetle

Here are some pictures I posted for 'Cats' earlier.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp...1043/m/350105192/p/1

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:
500 grains, maybe you have to live there a while before you understand my view. Once you spend time in both places for long periods it's an easy difference. From the value of currency showing the stability and infrastructure difference to the fuel shortages, to the USA state dept. warnings. I was working hunts in Zim but its just not worth the stress to me and my family any longer. It has nothing to do with badmouthing Zim because I have a business in RSA. If the condidtions were better I would still be doing almost all my DG hunts in ZIM. It may be laughable to you but that actually reflects more on your first hand knowlegde then my opinion or decisions.

JJHACK, folks who actually hunt Zim these days have excellent safaris with highly successful results, all at a reasonable cost. I understand that some operators, particularly from outside the country, are not capable of dealing with the logistical problems, shortages, etc. This has always been a reason to use a native Zim operator rather than someone from outside the country who cannot legally hunt Zim anyway without the presence of a native Zim PH (pushing costs up...). But anyone who says that Zim is not safe is peddling bogus beans. South Africa is the country with the very serious and dangerous crime problem.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJHACK, folks who actually hunt Zim these days have excellent safaris with highly successful results, all at a reasonable cost. I understand that some operators, particularly from outside the country, are not capable of dealing with the logistical problems, shortages, etc. This has always been a reason to use a native Zim operator rather than someone from outside the country who cannot legally hunt Zim anyway without the presence of a native Zim PH (pushing costs up...). But anyone who says that Zim is not safe is peddling bogus beans. South Africa is the country with the very serious and dangerous crime problem.[/QUOTE]

500 grs for someone whom is to see the Gov't of the USA's law is dealt fairly you surely have little use for their repeated warnings in regards to travel to Zimbabawe.
A true American wouldn't spend one cent within that country's borders for any reason same goes for the terrorist hot bed of Zambia .

JJ I am sorry to see that a few posters here have hijack your thread. It is the very same handful of posters to which I spoke of in my last post. Surely wish Saeed would let his mods. ban them( under all the bogus screen names they use). cats

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:

JJ I am sorry to see that a few posters here have hijack your thread. It is the very same handful of posters to which I spoke of in my last post. Surely wish Saeed would let his mods. ban them( under all the bogus screen names they use). cats

Seeing as how you have the exact same IP address as Wynwood, the same style of half truths and imaginary exploits, in other words the same BS, it is a natural conclusion.

JJ can't be too upset as he started this thread as an unpaid advertisment for a new Bow Area he is setting up, complete with pictures. He has recieved over 300 hits, I'm sure it is much better than a website for getting the word out.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ: I bow hunted the Kalahari in 2003. The hides were mostly for game viewing there as well. One of the places was similar to the one you have in the picture. It was really hard to get a shot out the window because of the bench. I had to stand up behind the bench, and squat down low to shoot. The bench was too close to the viewing port to draw my bow.

I will definitely go back with bow only in the future. I'll send you PM.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
quote:
Can you offer me something like that in Zambia?

Are you wanting an Opinion or Facts?

DB

This time I'm looking for a hunt. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Builder of these hides used about 4x4" wide angle iron cemented into the sides of the hide. Then 2 more angle iron slides which span the side "rails" are used as the seat. This way it can be slid to suit the comfort of the person or pushed to the back of the room for shooting.

I had the roofs rasied a little bit as well to allow standing on the seat to shoot over the top of the front wall. I prefer to sit on the seat and shoot speaking just for myself. There are several options available though.

The Previous German owner built every thing to typical German precision and quality. He has two tower stands that are at least 25 feet off the ground. He did one better by building them on the highest hills in the area. You can see game moving for a mile in every direction. It's almost like being in a stationary helecoptor!

Not the best situation for a bow hunter because of the location, but for the rifle hunter or for game viewing its fantastic. These high hides also have room for two and are made from all welded steel with a roof for shade. I have some photos of these I'll post up for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ please, when sending the requested email include a trophy fee list/price sheet.
By your last post am I correct in thinking the area is open to both rifle and archery jointly?
BTW I'm glad Saeed made that post a few days back about keeping this forum for AFRICAN HUNTING, what's more about african hunting than telling other members about new hunts offered/ Surely not what the trolls have posted here in an effort at muck raking.I ask you read back thru the posts here an see whom the trolls truely are!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are the additional photos

another view from hides on the ground overlooking the water.

Platform stand does not look as high as it is when your sitting up there. This thing is 25 feet off the ground!

This is one view from the platform stand. Again the photo does not do justice to the vision into the trees that is seen when actually sitting up there. The distance from the platform to the water here is about 100 yards, maybe a bit more.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
JJack looks like a nice Bowhunting Property!!!

That tower migh be just the answer to the question, "How do you kill an Impala with a bow?"

I saw you added some hiegt to the binds. I hunt wih a recuve is there enough room for a 62" long bow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely not what the trolls have posted here in an effort at muck raking.I ask you read back thru the posts here an see whom the trolls truely are!

Cats,

Folks here aren't known for suffering fools, tin horns or a phony lightly. An ideal safari bow hunt might be for you and Mr. nice guy, BK, to go together and split the cost for a backup man (who posts here) who uses humped up, maxed out 45-70's to keep 'Duga-Boy in the thick stuff' off of you. Then, come back and post an Opinionated Report (not a factual one) and dont include the pics.

JJ, very nice setup you have there. Folks on the Bowhunting thread might have an interest also. Some hard core string puller guys there.

DB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case 'n Point as to the troll comment I made earlier. Enough said, I rest my case!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
Case 'n Point as to the troll comment I made earlier. Enough said, I rest my case!

Seeing as how you have the exact same IP address as Wynwood, the same style of half truths and imaginary exploits, in other words the same BS, it is a natural conclusion.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
AR Guests

Welcome back to the CIRCUS /// I see we might have a couple of CLOWNS back in the ring roflmao

PS: I laughed when BK asked how do you kill and Impala with a bow, I was tempted to say put the bow down and grab the Impala by the two forlegs and spread them wide, that should split him in half and the job is done Wink

More seriously though:

JJ

That does look a good place for bow hunting to me, I believe it will work out well.

Also you dont have to preach to me the converted, we of cource love Limpopo Province a lot, you may ask AM I biased, the answer is yes Wink

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
AR Guests

PS: I laughed when BK asked how do you kill and Impala with a bow, I was tempted to say put the bow down and grab the Impala by the two forlegs and spread them wide, that should split him in half and the job is done Wink
Peter

When I Bowhunted plainsgame in '01, I said to myself,.....SELF...., @ $250 an Impala you can shoot 2 0r 3 then have the best one done in a shoulder mount.

The 1st time I saw Impala come to water, I started to L.O.L.....They must be the most nervious animals on the planet!....I must have drawn my bow 30Xs and still no shot!

I never did have the shot oppertunity that was right for me.

I'd think the high blind would take the wind out of the equasion allowing for a good bowhunting oppertunity.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Kongoni:

The 1st time I saw Impala come to water, I started to L.O.L.....They must be the most nervious animals on the planet!....I must have drawn my bow 30Xs and still no shot!

I never did have the shot oppertunity that was right for me.

BK

Actually the best option is to wait for three Impala to line up one behind each other and let fly, dont worry about the wind you will have three Impala with one arrow, a world record I believe Eeker

PB

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the problem is geting 3 rams to co-opperate. Big Grin

I hunt with 600 to 850 gr. arrows going 200+fps....that's a very reasonable shot to make.

Another reason for caution. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BK think impala are tough to get to hold still for your bow...then try blue wildebeest in a herd at a waterhole! I sat a hide for 3 evenings trying to get a clear shot at one special bull. Finally killed him with a rifle at 200 yds on day 4.