Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 v. 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamt,
Thanks for pointing out the articles on the 9.3x70 and the 500 Jeffery Improved. I hadn't seen those as yet. Good stuff!
Cheers!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 NO.2, and Alf,

Ok guys, cut the real world stuff, that ain't fun, I know the only reason I have a 9.3 of anykind is cuz I like to play...

From a cold, practical, and morbid, point of view I will confess the 375 is more practical and a better round, but everybody has one, where is the fun in that, thats why I quit shooting the 06, I know in my heart of hearts the 06 Springfield will do it ALL rabbits to Elephants........

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The choice must depend on the individual and his/her circumstances.

My custom 9.3x62 was built to resemble my 6.5x55 exactly. Consequently it is as if I use it each time I use my normal stalking rifle (5 times a week year round)

I can shoot it much better than any 375 I would have which would get used one week a year. For me the 9.3x62 is perfect - it might not be for others.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Another poster in one of the other sections here on AR said that FN Browning came out with a BAR in 9.3 x 62 at this years IWA show in Germany.
Now..... I might need a BAR. Never had one...never needed nor wanted one but now... [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is just more logic, cut it out! [Big Grin]

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For reasons only of tradition, match your caliber to your rifle maker. metric for european and english for english. or match your caliber for your country of occupation.

I would see a merkel in metric and an english in decimal inch calibers as appropriate.

would you put a 9/16 inch nut into an old triumph? no, it would be a whetworth or metric. would you put a 16mm bolt into a jeep? well thats not fair, because now they do, but the point is made.

When in England, down a pint of ale. when in europe, down a half liter. samo samo samo.

Now, there is all bets off for wildcats, since it iwould only be wild if it were outside the norm...

For my breakaction rifles, it is always the 9.3X74R over the 375 flanged.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi
I can,t find solid bullet factory loads for 9,3X62 and another problem is twist rate in factory 9,3 (1/14) would it stabilise heaviest bullets in this caliber? if it is intended for big five it had to shoot heavy bullets and solids with good SD.I'll be glad to know where to buy good solid factory load in this caliber?
best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I cannot find any factory ammo for the 9.3 x 62 here in Jackson, WY or Idaho Falls, ID. Is there any factory ammo available?

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf
in early 70's i and a freind shot a box of german made fmj from a short barreled Dumolin rifle it kicked as well as a ,375 if even worse .it seems they loaded at higher velocity than todays maker.do you know about the balistic of those old timers?
Best regards
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma is now loading 9.3x62. and a number of companies are looking into it, a more and more rifle manufacturers are comming on the market with that caliber, including perhaps Winchester.

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Norma is now loading 9.3x62. and a number of companies are looking into it, a more and more rifle manufacturers are comming on the market with that caliber, including perhaps Winchester.

Winchester ammo is avilable in Europe for the caliber loded with nosler partition bullets. The box says winchester, but it is NORMA made ammo. Lapua, RWS, PMP adn S&B are other makers on 9,3X62 ammo. I would like to get a TBB in this caliber preferably 285 grains.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do winchester load them in solid too?
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen you can get almost any bullet you want in 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R, as well as other calibers from www.superiorammo.com
Several of their 9.3x74R ammo shot very good in my double, as well as 480gr Woodleigh soft and solids in my 450 No2.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Do winchester load them in solid too?
danny

Sorry, I have nt seen any soo I guess the answer is no. By the way it's NORMA that made the ammo for Winchester. I have heard that it's only sold in Europe and not USA for some silly reason

/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm sold on the 9.3X62 idea (kinda sorta) and I've got a Santa Barbara Mauser that I'd like to change from .30-06/vanilla. I even found a place that has factory ammo at almost $40.00 per box of 20. Won't be plinking much with that stuff.

How hard is the conversion and is the Spanish made M-98 strong enough for the 9.3? The -06 has never given me a problem, it just got replaced by prettier rifles.

Also any suggestions on barrel length and profile?

TIA

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
The Santa Barbra will work fine..I shoot a 26" barrel and it really cooks on the velocity end, but the only real reason I shoot 26" barrels because they improve my off hand shooting considerably. They just balance and swing better in a rifle or a shotgun. A 22" barrel will do fine if thats what you like...save your 06 brass as you can simply run them in a 9.3x62 die and make brass....However I prefer 9.3x62 Lapua brass as it holds 6% more powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdgunslinger:
In my admitted limited experience of loading for one .375 rifle , I have found it difficult to best 2700 fps with 270 gr bullets , with most loads running 2600ish .

Not so in my Remington 700 with its 24 in. barrel. Using max (compressed heavily) loads of H4350, as given in Hodgdon's loading manual, in Winchester brass with the Winchester WLR primer (non-magnum). I can get over 2700 f.p.s. with 300 grain bullets, and 2800 with 270 gr. ones.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks, I'm 99% sure there's going to be another customer for US manufactured 9.3X62 ammo in the next couple of months.

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LE270,
I'd like to know what load you get 2700 FPS with a 300 gr. bullet with??? I have not been able to get that in my 26" barreled guns...

one of us
posted Hide Post
LE270
Check your chrono. Everybody else I know of barely gets 2400fps with 300s.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pay,

All 9.3x62's and most 64 have 1x14 twist, Ii don't think they come in any other twist either from the factory or from barrel makers, but I wouldn't swear to it...

I have shot mostly 320 gr. softs and solids from Woodleigh in all my 9.3's with fantastic accuracy...they shoot 250 to 320's with equal accuracy...

there are several custom loading companies in the US that load for the 9.3's as per your instructions as stated in one of the above posts.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Can anyone provide some ball park trajectory information for a 9.3x62 shooting 320 Gr Woodleighs? As yet, I dont know what type/quantity of powder or primer.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,
I have settled on 56 grs. of RL-15, 210 Fed primers with the 320 Woodleighs,at about 2400 FPS in my long tube..In yours I would suspect about 2300 FPS or a bit less..I will be doing some chronographing this summer and will let you know what I come up with...

60 grs. of H414 will get you a little better and you can probably work up to about 62..

The new Swift Reloading manual has a good section on the 9.3x62 with their wonderfull bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf thanks for the information.
HI Ray
most of 9,3 rifles made in Sweden have a twist rate of1/14 inches and I wonder if they can stabilize 320 gr woodligh solid or anything over 286 grain standard loads? Have you experience with heavy solids in standard rifles or you just shoot them incustom barrels with sharper twist?
best regards
Danny

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just took my CZ 550 Lux to the range (with GaHunter and Mbogo375). I was shooting a load of H414 (64 gr) and a 300 grain A-Frame. That's the Swift Max load. Being lazy and lucky, the first (and only) powder/bullet combo shot right at an inch at 100 yards. I didn't have a chrono, but Swift lists it pretty close to 2400 fps. After about 20 shots for accuracy and function I sent the serial numbers, etc., to my PH with a smile on my face. It will be my plains game rifle in Tanzania this summer.

I found the rifle extremely comfortable to shoot with no recoil to speak of.

[ 05-20-2003, 15:11: Message edited by: JudgeG ]

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information. While I do believe the 375 is the better choice for several reasons, I just couldn't get passed the romance and tradition combined with the effectivenes of the 9.3x62. Therefore, I bought a Husqvarna with a Mauser 98 action in 9.3x62 from Ray. Hope to shoot it this afternoon for the first time, can't wait.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,
I have shot the 320 gr. bullets in a 1x14 twist for many years..That is the only twist available for a 9.3 in the US...The round nose 320 solids and soft are extremely accruate in all the guns I have shot them in....When I first started using them even Geoff McDonald of Woodliegh fame had no idea if they would work in a 9.3x62, I tried them and reported my findings to him...They worked great on Buffalo with solids and softs, a perfect Lion load with a soft, expansion on Leopard is not dramatic but enough..It is one of my favorite soft points along with GS Customs HV and and GS Customs fantastic flat nose solid...I also like the 286 gr. Nosler partition...