THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    If A Lion or Elephant Charges - Who Pays?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If A Lion or Elephant Charges - Who Pays?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never had this occur, but I always ask the PH at the start of a safari, the question "if a dangerous animal charges and has to be killed in self defense, am I liable for the trophy fee?"

I have always been told "no", but this might not be true depending upon where you are hunting on communal land, government land, or a private game reserve.

I know from reading many hunting accounts, that it has been common for a client to take on license, the rare lion or elephant that was killed in self defense.

With today's ever changing economics, it might behoove hunters to get this specified in writing if hunting in an area where you might bump into a belligerent elephant or lion that you have no desire to kill, but either you or the PH wind up shooting.

I would think this is especially important if hunting on a private game farm where a lion might be worth 60 thousand dollars or more.

Any thoughts?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a government game scout, you begin by giving him his "birthday present".

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it makes a great deal of difference in the situation.

I have always had a government game scout with us, and his job is to observe what goes on.

If you are in the situation of a unprovoked short range charge by a high value game animal, there will be an investigation and that the game department will decide if you shot appropriately.

If the charge was unwitnessed, and you the client were the only one shooting, odds are you will want to call it a trophy animal and pay for it, assuming there is quota.

If you did not fire a shot, whoever did is responsible, and will have to face the government inquiry.

Even if it is ruled a justified shooting, if you want the trophy you will have to have quota and pay a trophy fee if you want to export it.

That’s what I’ve been told and seen happen (not to me) in Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

I have also seen and been asked to put down wounded/sick animals. I have had to shoot a female elephant and a zebra mare that way. I didn’t pay for either, but the game scout made the decision before we shot anything in those cases.

The elephant required all 3 (me, ph, scout) to sign an affidavit to the game department but that was a formality, and they took the meat and ivory.

Frankly, an unnecessary self defense shooting is a illegal act. The money is the least way out. A legal self defense shot should not result in fees.

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to ask, but best to let your PH shoot first and then let loose.

As crbutler stated, most countries are pretty lenient if dangerous game is killed when endangering life and even livestock. However, I have heard some pretty interesting stories on killing charging animals on private farms. Farmers can get pretty pissy when they lose expensive game.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey, worst case scenario I whip out my Barlow

Posts: 3509 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Jeffrey, worst case scenario I whip out my Barlow

Ah, the classic "whittle a whistle to play my own dirge" gambit...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10302 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
That would be a Government loss. No one pays and the incident is recorded by the monitoring scout. I had to shoot an elephant a couple of seasons back and this warranted a simple investigation and statements from the hunting party. Worse case scenario you loose a days hunting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Who pays?

Who cares?

That is, if self-preservation is an instinct you possess.

You must always have what is called in the construction industry, an owner's contingency, to cover such events.

First, survive.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

I would think this is especially important if hunting on a private game farm where a lion might be worth 60 thousand dollars or more.

BH63

A lion on a private game farm may cost $60,000 but it's not worth $60,000. sofa

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the lion or the elephant pays. Confused

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have always been told that if you will not have to pay anything if you are protecting a human life.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like shooting someone in self-defense, I just hope I never have to find out.

Thanks for the responses.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Like shooting someone in self-defense, I just hope I never have to find out.

Thanks for the responses.

BH63

When it does you have split seconds to make a decision so be prepared.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the exact scenario happen with a buffalo in Tanzania (kilombero Valley) in 2008. Two lone dagga boys we were hunting, they bust out of the long grass in front of us, I shot the back bull. Two shots and he was down....his buddy ran off about 70 yards and stopped. Although I had one more buff on license we were not wanting to shoot another one at that time - in case we needed one a bit later for more lion bait.

Well, that ole boy stood there looking at us and his buddy for about 2 minutes or so I would say (you can see this all on one of my Global Hunter DVD's) all while my cameraman / PH kept warning me to keep an eye on him. I of course was busy with the filming aspect, and sarcastically replied to them both, "ya, let him come". There's no way he's gonna charge us, completely un-wounded from 70 yards. Boy was I ever wrong!!!

All the sudden my cameraman is yelling, "he's coming, he's coming", and sure enough he was coming straight for us. The PH was yelling, "shoot him Aaron, shoot him, shoot him". So I did, right in the grill with my .375 RUM. He nose dived into the dirt, go up and turned hard to his right! A couple more shots and he was down. That was the only time I ever saw an un-wounded buffalo charge.

The game scout was there - agreed the situation warranted us shooting the bull, and the bull was not allocated to my quota, nor was I charged for him either.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I had the exact scenario happen with a buffalo in Tanzania (kilombero Valley) in 2008. Two lone dagga boys we were hunting, they bust out of the long grass in front of us, I shot the back bull. Two shots and he was down....his buddy ran off about 70 yards and stopped. Although I had one more buff on license we were not wanting to shoot another one at that time - in case we needed one a bit later for more lion bait.

Well, that ole boy stood there looking at us and his buddy for about 2 minutes or so I would say (you can see this all on one of my Global Hunter DVD's) all while my cameraman / PH kept warning me to keep an eye on him. I of course was busy with the filming aspect, and sarcastically replied to them both, "ya, let him come". There's no way he's gonna charge us, completely un-wounded from 70 yards. Boy was I ever wrong!!!

All the sudden my cameraman is yelling, "he's coming, he's coming", and sure enough he was coming straight for us. The PH was yelling, "shoot him Aaron, shoot him, shoot him". So I did, right in the grill with my .375 RUM. He nose dived into the dirt, go up and turned hard to his right! A couple more shots and he was down. That was the only time I ever saw an un-wounded buffalo charge.

The game scout was there - agreed the situation warranted us shooting the bull, and the bull was not allocated to my quota, nor was I charged for him either.

Lucky this did not happen in New York!

A lawyer would have sprung up to represent that bull, and your life would never be the same again! rotflmo

It was HIS RIGHT to charge you for killing his friend jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
""If a lion or elephant charges-Who pays?

In my case it would be the lion or elephant who pays if I have time to get on him with my double rifle! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote