New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sighting in a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have done searches for 15 minutes and cannot find a concise thread on how to properly sight in a rifle with a scope. I have scope-mounted and sighted in my .375 H&H with success but for the sighting in I just shot enough rounds to finally dial it in. I am looking for a 1-2-3 method I can use every time successfully by someone who knows what they are talking about.
Can anyone tell me how or refer me to a good thread on this?

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight-in_rifle.htm

Try this. I am not sure if it is what you are looking for but it has worked for me.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There is a much quicker way. It takes two shots.

After boresighting, shoot your rifle. Shoot once. If you know your shot was good, then place your rifle in a gun vice/cleaning holder or whatever that will hold it steady. Adjust the the vice (not the scope) until the crosshairs are on the center of the bull. Making sure that the rifle is steady, then twist the scope adjustments left/right or up/down until the crosshairs are on bullet hole (or 2" low if long range POI is desired). Remove the rifle from the vise and shoot. The next bullet hole should be in the center of the bull.

Make sure that the first shot is from a fouled barrel for obvious reasons. Also, though some folks actually use the vise as a rest when shooting, I've found that its weight and effect on recoil cause a different point of impact when the vise is removed.

Here is a picture of a "vise" for sale at Cabelas:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The Judges process works but assumes one critical thing to get you on target with just two shots...and that is the rfile never moves at all when you are adjusting the scope...I have never found that is the case.

The follwoing method doesn't even require the rifle to be bore sighted.

Place the target at 25 yds. Fire one shot. Now adjust the scope the cross hairs based on the instructions. remeber at 25 yds it takes 4 times as many click as it does at 100 yds. adjust the clicks so you are dead on at 25 yds.

Fire one more shot to confirm at 25 yds that you are pretty close to dead on.

Move the target to 100 yds and fire a three shot group.

Now adjust the center of that group to the poi u desire on the target.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Barrel heat can change p.o.i. about as much as anything, especially on a poorly bedded rifle. I see folks at the range shoot 10 shots in 10 minutes and wonder why they don't get good groups or start stringing shots... Eeker

Mike: I agree that "being steady" is what it is all about when adjusting the scope in the vise, but I've never had a problem if I used a screw driver and not a dime... works for me, but I usually forget the vise and do it your way!!

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I am not allowed to use hand tools near firearms...so I have to do it that way

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
After you sight it in on the bench you will have to do a fine tune adjustment from field/hunting type positions. Heavy kickers will have a slightly different point of impact when shot off sticks or standing than off a bench. It may not be enough to worry about in some rifles but I like to have the deck stacked in my favor when shooting at game.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Mike has got the method, but I'd add just one step. Once you have clicked your scope into new adjustment, gently tap the top and side turrets with a swiss army knife, loaded round etc., covered so as not to mar any scope finish. At least with Leupolds, seems to settle the adjustment. I failed to do that some years ago and wound up throwing rounds all over the target. Never did get a group.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote