THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A different rifle carry option......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A different rifle carry option......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I got this new nylon scabbard in a trade and discovered that my BELOVED double would also fit in it. It struck me as a very viable option for the times when I am using my scoped bolt rifle and one of the trackers is carrying the double. This keeps the rifle fully protected from scrapes and dings yet instantly available to me. There is no need to have (or remove) a sling on the rifle It also lets the tracker keep both hands free. Seems like a pretty good setup. Any thought?

OMG, is that a bald spot starting?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMO, but I think that will result in a ton of dings to the buttstock. Being an avid backpacker, it is difficult to judge what is going to hit the load you carry on your shoulders.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
As for carrying that way in the bush a no no in my opinion. If in DG country and everything goes south you will not have the time to bring it to bear.
I love it and would use it in the truck to keep rifle from banging around. If you bought this rifle and are worried about some dings and scratches from hunting. Leave it home and buy a cheap bang around gun.
That was great video of you two guys shooting shooting the 470 and 500.
Bobby, who makes that scabbard?
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great in the truck option--where did you get it?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
JMO, but I think that will result in a ton of dings to the buttstock.

Agreed. If you're going to protect it, might as well protect the whole thing. It wouldn't take much to modify a soft case to serve the same purpose.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I want one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After having one of the trackers tear up my double's stock just getting it out of the rack in Moz, I pay very close attention to the care and handling of my nice wood.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

OMG, is that a bald spot starting?

Oh gosh, the elbows too! you're done! Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If it was good enough for Duke, it's good enough for me!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
If you bought this rifle and are worried about some dings and scratches from hunting. Leave it home and buy a cheap bang around gun.
Mike

It already has a few "distinguishing marks" from riding in the truck and on the front rack of my 4wheeler as well as from being carried in the rain and snow. This just seemed like a way to keep it somewhat protected when a tracker would be carrying it and I am carrying my scoped 416.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again--who makes it?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
OH COOL! That's a rifle purse, I want one!!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19232 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle Purse! Good one Ann!

But really now, why would you be the least bit worried about getting your gun dinged or scratched? Those nicks can all be fixed when you get back home. You got it all backwards. The ugly ones shoot straighter.

And you'll learn...It's not fully broken in till you've dropped it, used it as a walking cane and paddled it as a boat oar.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:

SSR

Bump!

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:

SSR

Bump!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...abbard.aspx?a=562602

A WHOPPING $24.97

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
After having one of the trackers tear up my double's stock just getting it out of the rack in Moz, I pay very close attention to the care and handling of my nice wood.

Hey, to each his own, but I would never let any tracker handle my wood.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

Hey, to each his own, but I would never let any tracker handle my wood.

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:

SSR

Bump!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...abbard.aspx?a=562602

A WHOPPING $24.97

That is it exactly, I got it in a trade with a local army surplus shop and had been trying to find the makers tag to post for you guys. Also got one that fits my M4 with a 20 round mag. And thank god you guys won't have to worry about the wood stock on that one! Roll Eyes