THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Jim Shockey, 2018 Weatherby Award Winner
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Shockey, 2018 Weatherby Award Winner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Joe Rogan did a long podcast with Shockey that’s worth a listen. He’s a good guy.

However I’ll never understand the desire to create or chase artificial “slams” for the sake of...whatever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He could be a good guy and all but the whole Jim Shockey thing is too commercialized for me.One thing that makes hunting attractive is that it is not a sport like the NHL or NFL with millions of screaming fans.It is a private, serene and natural experience.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Exactly my thoughts George

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
He could be a good guy and all but the whole Jim Shockey thing is too commercialized for me.One thing that makes hunting attractive is that it is not a sport like the NHL or NFL with millions of screaming fans.It is a private, serene and natural experience.

Take the time to listen to the podcast. There is a definite difference between him one on one and the Shockey TV persona/machine. And since we apparently have to have (the market speaking, not me) TV hunting, he’s at least not Pigman...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Mr. Shockey. He is a fantastic ambassador for the hunting industry. He shows are thoughtful, well done, and professional.

He involves him self in the culture and people of the country he is in, and does not do grip and grin.

He pays his own way and does not asks for favors and discounts. If my humble estimation if more hunters conducted themselves in the manner of Mr. Shockey hunters we would be better off.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he speaks well for us all as hunters. Even after all the hunts you see he has done you can still see the enjoyment as he hunts. Yes he pushes product as that is his job but he is one of the few real hunters you see on tv. Class act in my book as well as his family.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mr. Shockey! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Awards in hunting are silly, childish and foolish

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
A huge congratulations to Jim! In my opinion....there is no other person with a public platform to support hunting/conservation, that does a better job than he does.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree but can he live without all
those ridiculous awards?
Gee, does he get the fact that he could become a joke? ( or already becoming one )

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The award may be well deserved...but to me J'S wants to sell the HE man in side him driven by a strong ego. His selfperception dictate the important of how the worlds sees him. He is a cowboy alright...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
He is the real deal, and a genuinely nice guy to boot. Couldn’t go to a more deserving person, and one who promotes our industry and ethic as well.

Great news.

100% well said and totally agree.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
One big thing I’ve noticed about him is his sense of childlike wonder and simple excitement when he gets up to his downed animal. No real jumping around and silly celebrations.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Precisely!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
The award may be well deserved...but to me J'S wants to sell the HE man in side him driven by a strong ego. His selfperception dictate the important of how the worlds sees him. He is a cowboy alright...

If I understand correctly, one has to apply to get the award. If my understanding is correct, I can only conclude that the award is either about ego or is good for his business. I do not profess to know which.

Personally, I have a hard time believing the awards of this type are good for the sport. If such an award is going to be given, JS seems like someone who reflects a positive image. I can think of worse.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

If I understand correctly, one has to apply to get the award. If my understanding is correct, I can only conclude that the award is either about ego or is good for his business. I do not profess to know which.

Personally, I have a hard time believing the awards of this type are good for the sport. If such an award is going to be given, JS seems like someone who reflects a positive image. I can think of worse.

Well said.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Agree....

How can someone be the "best"?

This award is for collectors that have every animal measured by and for SCI (at a cost for each measurement). Show me one of the recent members with less than 200 species taken and 80% in the "record book" of SCI. I would be a bit more impressed if every animal was verified free range and made the B&C standards or Rowland and Ward standards.

After reading the history of SCI and seeing how the "trophy" system came to pass, I regret that I have been a member.

I read the history of Roy Weatherby and the Weatherby award.... It was designed to sell rifles, especially his rifles.... It morphed in a contest nowadays.

I support Jim and appreciate what he does but there are other "winners" that are collectors and not hunters.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, sort of. If one wants to be considered, you should attend dinners, give to the Foundation, etc. Then you might receive an application, which you list animals taken, what conservation efforts you have supported. It’s quite an involved process. You really have to earn the award.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:
quote:

Well, sort of. If one wants to be considered, you should attend dinners, give to the Foundation, etc. Then you might receive an application, which you list animals taken, what conservation efforts you have supported. It’s quite an involved process. You really have to earn the award.

And it used to be you had to donate a significant amount of money to conservation efforts; that requirement was dropped a while ago. Sure, you had to be wealthy (or at least be affluent) to win, but at least it wasn't about the body count.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Awards aside...Jim's a friend and a damn good ambassador for our hunting heritage IMO!

15+ years ago Jim and I tried to put together a "partnership" in the hunt consulting biz...I learned quickly he was an astute business man. It didn't work out in the end, but I always respected him for his blatant honesty. Jim never lies, or BS's anyone!

He's tough on cameramen, and tough on guides too (I've seen that first hand) but that's because he always wants to be the best, and represent the best for himself and the sport.

We originally booked Jim on his first two African safaris ever, and again in 2008 we booked him into Zambia, and then into Botswana for his first elephant with his muzzleloader. I was with Jim on that hunt, we both took nice bulls, shared a tent together for 12 days (no funny biz of course) and talked a lot about hunting, the industry, tv, etc. He encouraged me numerous times back then to get my own tv show, but I was more into the hunting than anything else I suppose?

One thing about Jim...he always paid his way, period! He never asked for "deals" or discounts, just the best hunt, with the best people possible. We no longer do biz together, but we all move on at some point to bigger / better things I reckon.

I vividly remember asking him about his end goal in camp one night....he stated clearly he wants to go down as the greatest hunter to ever live! I'm not sure how one really classifies that, but for sure....there will never be another one like him!

He dreamed of winning the Weatherby, so to him I do in fact say....congratulations!!!

Very well said. I have nothing but respect for Jim and what he's accomplished in his life. Congratulations to him on this well-deserved award.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Shockey and his wife separately at a hunting show a few years back. His wife spoke candidly about the challenges they have faced, their love of family and her husbands drive to be better at whatever he was pursuing.

As for hunting shows, the best series I’ve ever seen was one that featured Jim’s father and his father in law. Believe it that the term “trophy” was hotly debated on camera with one of the older gentlemen wanting to take/shoot/kill/harvest a small fork horn for the freezer and Jim adamantly arguing patience for the big white tails he knew to be in the area. THAT series of shows was the best ever produced aside from the old American Sportsman, of course.

Congrats to Mr. Shockey AND his family. Well done, indeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Awards aside...Jim's a friend and a damn good ambassador for our hunting heritage IMO!

15+ years ago Jim and I tried to put together a "partnership" in the hunt consulting biz...I learned quickly he was an astute business man. It didn't work out in the end, but I always respected him for his blatant honesty. Jim never lies, or BS's anyone!

He's tough on cameramen, and tough on guides too (I've seen that first hand) but that's because he always wants to be the best, and represent the best for himself and the sport.

We originally booked Jim on his first two African safaris ever, and again in 2008 we booked him into Zambia, and then into Botswana for his first elephant with his muzzleloader. I was with Jim on that hunt, we both took nice bulls, shared a tent together for 12 days (no funny biz of course) and talked a lot about hunting, the industry, tv, etc. He encouraged me numerous times back then to get my own tv show, but I was more into the hunting than anything else I suppose?

One thing about Jim...he always paid his way, period! He never asked for "deals" or discounts, just the best hunt, with the best people possible. We no longer do biz together, but we all move on at some point to bigger / better things I reckon.

I vividly remember asking him about his end goal in camp one night....he stated clearly he wants to go down as the greatest hunter to ever live! I'm not sure how one really classifies that, but for sure....there will never be another one like him!

He dreamed of winning the Weatherby, so to him I do in fact say....congratulations!!!

Very well said. I have nothing but respect for Jim and what he's accomplished in his life. Congratulations to him on this well-deserved award.

Fully agree and believe JS to fully deserving. He has a done a great job of championing our cause in a very positive way. Of all the Weatherby "winners" I respect him the most. I have read the bio's on nearly everyone of them and have the book about them all as well as reading about Elgin Gates and the early "winners".

In the end, we cannot declare any one of them as the "greatest" as the standard is not clear. This is much like saying Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus or Gary Player or Sam Snead are/were the greatest golfers ever. The debate is endless and fun discussion but no concrete decision is landed.

Anyway - congrats to Shockey, he is deserving of the recognition this brings.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Jim Shockey!

I enjoy his shows and record them so that I can fast forward through the commercials. Unlike the all too typical Ol' Boy shows with Bubba talking to the camera explaining the obvious and high fiving with a whoop and a holler at every kill shot, Shockey exemplifies the hunter as traveler, historian, student of culture, and conservationist. He does not apologize for hunting but praises it's pivotal importance to conserving wild habitat and creatures. He seeks old, past breeding age animals and thereby contributes to herd vitality while providing an economic incentive to conserve the resource. He is appropriately respectful of the animal whose life he has taken and the cultural rituals of the people he hunts with. I think he is a great ambassador for hunters and richly deserving of the Weatherby Award (much more so than the wealthy fat cats who essentially bought it in years past with excessive consumption and self glorification!).

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Tikka1
posted Hide Post
Congratulation Jim, I have looked up to him since I was 12 yrs old...

Fantastic...

Posts: 4 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 July 2018Reply With Quote