Find
Notify
Tools

Nevermore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
In the interest of keeping this board as active as poss, I was wondering if any of you have a particular african species that you wouldn't shoot after having taken a representative of the species? I remember that many of the older safari books contain references to "I knew I would never shoot another lion in my life" etc. Nowadays with the trophy hunting craze, there is always a reason to go back and "do better", but in all honesty some species just never make the wish list more than once, whether you pity them OR they are just too damn expensive to hunt
For example, I cannot say I will ever shoot another duiker/steenbok as they are so delicate and really do look better in the bush than with a gaping .30 caliber hole in them! Financially, I doubt people would ever go for more than 1 white rhino/bongo BUT I could be wrong....the hunting bug strikes in mysterious ways.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
Here is what I can think of off of the top of my head. I would not plan to take more than one in my life.

Black Wildebeest
Waterbuck
Leopard
Nyala
Giraffe
Any of the "small" antelope (duiker, klipspringer, steenbok etc)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken most of the common game of southern Arfica, as well as a few east African species, probably 30-35 total. Of those, the only one that I will continue to hunt (as time and money will hopefully permit) is the cape buffalo.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not shoot another elephant unless it is very close to 100 pounds, and thats not likely in my circumstances...No more cats unless a full black maned Lion or a boss Leopard shows up and again thats not likely as I don't expend the time to make that happen, mostly because...I am perfectly content to just shoot Buffalo the rest of my life, I never tire or it...guess its my thing..

I can and will always hunt Kudu and Eland, a zebra now and then. Kongoni and impala for the pot will continue I'm sure......

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Black wildebeest.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only been to South Africa twice and I only took 4 or 5 animals on each trip (plains game). As such, I don't have extensive experience. I will say, though, that I won't shoot another Steenbok. I don't suffer from "Bambi-itis" but after I walked up to it, after the shot, it made me feel a little sad to have taken it. I'm still glad to have the trophy but I won't shoot another one.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I�ve only been on one safari but I will never shoot giraffe. Can�t see why I�d want to shoot one. Rhino will never be on my list and neither will cheetah. Baboons are a bit iffy -I�d like to get the skull from a big male...

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I enjoy hunting, therefor I will shoot anything that is still legally available.

Of course, at the top of my list is buffalo. Nothing comes close to that.

If I get a chance of hunting nothing but buffalo, that will be just fine for me [Big Grin]

What do you think Ray?

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Ray doesn't care what it is as long as it charges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Great replies guys, I wonder if there are so many votes for the black wildebeeste because it is easily hunted? I think giraffe are also a non-game animal in my book, too damn majestic to bring down...
On the other hand a lot of the spice can be brought back to the hunt with a new weapon and I hope to take a bow or at least an open sighted rifle to Africa one day...
BTW what do you guys make of African bow hunting? I understand that if waterhole blinds aren't used, the success rate would be very very low....but on the other hand, stalking a kudu to within 30 yards would be a real feat!! Have any of you done spot and stalk bowhunting in Africa?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
cropduster,

Good to see you here again my friend.

Yes, even if it is a "cow bull" [Big Grin]

Walter send his regards, and says you're definitely a better cook than me [Smile]

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt if I could ever shoot a Giraffe or Cheetah.

Done the Buffalo thing, and would rather shoot(hunt on foot) 5 or 10 Blue Wildebeestfor the same price. They are poor man's Buffalo.

I love to hunt Black Wildebeest too, and would do that again, contrary to others.

Oh, but I have had enough of hunting Vaal Reabok.

One of those was enough.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boghossian
I was in S.A. in July and I did spot and stalk with a bow.
I took: Zebra/Bluewildebeest/Nyala/Waterbok/Impala/2 Blesbok/Kudu/Gemsbok
By far the most difficult was the Zebra. Luckily for me my PH was very patient, as I blew many stalks.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bog: I used a bow this last trip and took Kudu, Springbok, Warthog, and passed on several animals I've taken before with rifle including Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, other Warthogs, Impala. My wife was hunting with a rifle at the same time, and it tends to get expensive if we shoot everything.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I could hunt Cape Buffalo everyday for the rest of my life, and never tire of it! Because of my preference for Buffalo, I don't have either of the African cats, or Rhino, or Elephant! All my hunts have been with Buffalo as primary. The closest I have come to hunting my own elephant is to have put two back-up rounds from a WR 500/450 in the heartlung area of a big bull, that was head shot, but not knocked down by a friend. As the Bull turned I shot, and the PH shot as well, but the client hunter placed his second shot behind the left ear, hitting the brain, and dropping the bull.

All of the largest plains game, and warthog are taken on every hunt, if I find good ones.

One animal that I hear people not wanting is, a Hippo! I love to hunt Hippo on land, and that is a very exciteing undertakeing in some cases!

I love BIG GAME hunting, and the little toy antelope, somehow fail to make that catagory, IMO! I have never even thought of shooting any one of them. [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Mellon,in AFRICAN HUNTER,state that the only African animals worth hunting more than once were sittatunga and bongo?
Agree? Disagree?
Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

I enjoy hunting, therefore I will shoot anything that is still legally available.

I have to agree with this... I guess the list of not to shoot more than once is a personal thing.

I got a friend who is nuts about elephants and thinks buffalo hunting is just as interesting as hunting the farmers cattle bull [Big Grin]

Me, I got nothing on my no no list [Smile]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I personally haven't hunted a giraffe myself, but I've been with giraffe hunters when they took their trophies. I could get by without ever seeing that again, or having to cape and butcher one...

Other than that, I love hunting kudu, eland, and blue wildebeest any day..!!

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I guess hunting giraffe is an acquired taste.

I most likely will hunt giraffe again as I enjoyed it very much. I will most definitely hunt warthogs every chance I get.

The only animal I have successfully hunted but will not hunt again would be the tsessebe.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I've taken one each of the following, and for me that's enough: Black and Blue Wildebeest, Cape Eland, Steenbuck, Red Hartebeest, Nyala, Blesbok, Gemsbok, and Water Buck. I'll hunt Bushbuck, Impala, and Kudu every chance possible. Since I work hard for my money, I'll probably only hunt Buffalo once, and never hunt Elephant and Lion. No interest in Cheetah. I would like to take a Giraffe though, as well as a Leopard, Red Lechwe, and Sable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will take the way of a few others and say there is nothing I don't want to hunt again, although there are a few that it will probably never happen again, do to time, logistics, money, etc....

bring them on and I will chase them.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
You know the answer to that question, they could drop us both off in the high grass of Tanzania and we would be like pigs in sh-t, wouldn't care if they ever came and got us..We will never kill enough Buffalo to satisfy our souls... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It just doesn't get any better than Buffalo.....

I still have this urge to shoot a calf Buffalo and eat it! that would just have to prime eating... [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This'll probably sound silly coming from a hairy assed Professional Hunter, but I always feel sorry for the steinbuck that get shot..... I've never hunted one personally and have no desire to do so.

Like Saeed & Ray I love to hunt Buffalo and if I had one day left on gods earth, I spend it hunting Buffalo.

Animals I'd like to hunt someday would have to be mountain nyala and bongo........