Find
Notify
Tools

Importance of a Spare Scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Am leaving on a plains game safari Wednesday of next week. Second scope on the .375 started to act up. No time to get repaired. Both scopes are Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 MCs.

Only rifle I have left in the safe with two scopes is a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. Have a 1.5-5 Leupold VX III and a 2.5x Leupold Compact already on rings and close to sighted-in. It shoots 350 Barnes Xs very well.

So ... what's my best decision:

1) Take the .375 H&H and not worry about the second scope, or
2) Load for the .416 and take it.

I have a 4457 for the Rigby and would just need to redo the SAP311. Is this fella too much gun to take?

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling

Take the .375. One scope should be enough, but, could you mount and zero the 1.5-5 Leupold from the Rigby as a back up?

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't move the scope as I don't have a set of 30mm rings for the mounts on the .375. No time to get them in with certainty and get the sight-in done properly. Guess I should have thought of that some time ago.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Take both the 416 and 375.

Another alternative is a lighter caliber and the 375. You didn't say what type of plains game your hunting. However, you'll probably be able to take most, if not all your plains game with a 30'06 or 300 win mag class rifle.

I usually alway's take a spare rifle with scope on a hunting trip. What if something other than the scope acts up.

Just a thought...

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Can't move the scope as I don't have a set of 30mm rings for the mounts on the .375. No time to get them in with certainty and get the sight-in done properly. Guess I should have thought of that some time ago.

I thought the scopes were a Zeiss Conquest and a couple of varix IIIs?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other rifle already going is a 9.3x62 CZ 550 American with a 2.5-8 Leupold VariX III. Shoots very well from bench, kneeling, and sticks. Using 286 gr Nosler Partitions in it.

Just thought it wise to take at least one rifle with two scopes just in case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Ive had scopes crap out on me.(fogged up ,cross hair went missing,parralax got huge,wouldnt hold zero)so I like to have a spare scope zeroed in a spare set of rings. With my leupold QRW rings and bases ,it returns to close enough to zero when I swap to different scopes and only takes a minute and no tools.
On the other hand ,Ive had an extractor broken(caused by brother in law loading way too hot and sticking cases), bullet stuck in rifling ,by me accidentley leaving powder out, stock broken on unreinforced 458 stock. So sometimes a spare rifle would be good as well.
One thing I have done is to get my main hunting rifles with weaver bases and to get the bases spaced apart the same amount so that I can swap a scope off another gun ,though zero is usualy a little out.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never take a spare scope, but I wouldn't own a gun without iron sights! I usually take a couple of rifles and both will be capable of whatever comes along...

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save ourself a lot of greif. Take the spere. At about a pound weight it will be worth its weight if something goes wrong. Trust me on this. If you don't need it bring it back or give it as a tip. Why would you spend all that money and not insure that all bases are covered. They don't sell scopes just anywhere in Africa. Just my perspective on the issue.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of taking a spare scope, what mounts do you recommend, with the idea of holding up to recoil AND holding the zero of the scope before it was detached? I'm considering a couple of QD setups for one or two of my big-game rifles.

Thanks, folks.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel. Use Warne or Talleys. They are both very tough and work great. Leupold QRW's are okay but stay away from the QR's. I have had two sets tank out on my .338 Win. After repeated removal the lugs wore and the levers would turn 360 degrees without tightening up enough to avoid coming loose and flipping up under recoil.

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote