Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
"I couldn't help but be perplexed at the people, obviously in poor health, who were riding scooters at a HUNTING show. They obviously can't walk much, if at all but they want to hunt. I guess maybe SCI is the perfect place for them. There seem to be options available for everyone, regardless of physical ability or ethics, or lack thereof."

The SCI convention is more than a trade show selling hunts and gear. At age 81, COPD, congestive heart failure and pseudo-gout make standing and walking tiring and quite painful so my hunting is limited to cow elk near my cabin whenever I can draw a tag. (It doesn't matter because I took nearly every animal I ever wanted from six continents when I was younger.) I skipped the last two SCI conventions, but will be riding one of those scooters in Reno again next year so I can attend the evening functions and see old friends. I suspect many of the people you saw scooting around the hall were there for similar reasons.

BILL QUIMBY
. Bill, you're quite possibly right. I certainly don't mean them disrespect but I'm perplexed how people in poor health who dont appear able to walk 100 yards want to go on hunts.

I totally understand why they want to go on hunts. I don’t understand how they can go on hunts.

DLS and Larry:

I've been writing for years that I hunt because I must and I will hunt until I can't.

Well,"can't" came three years ago at age 79 when I was alone 10 miles from pavement in the juniper flatlands 15 miles from my cabin and my truck had a flat tire. There was no cell phone service and this was the afternoon of the last day of my cow elk hunt and all the other hunters had left the area.

The rancher hadn't brought his cattle off the mountain yet, so it could have been two weeks or more before someone came along to help me.

That's when my COPD flared up and I had to stop, try to breathe normally and rest for long periods after doing the simplest thing. What should have taken no more than 30 minutes to get rolling took more than four hours.

After I finally got the spare tire on and the last lug tightened, I briefly considered leaving my flat tire and wheel behind because I didn't think I could lift it into the pickup's bed. Loading it took my last spark of energy.

All I can say is that physical limitations have not lessened my desire (and need) to hunt. With luck, I'll draw another cow tag this fall, and I'll talk a friend into going out with me. I may not be able to walk more than 100 yards of rough ground, but I have a permit that allows me to shoot from a parked truck. I'm a good-enough shot that I'm confident I can drop an elk in her tracks, back up to her and cut her up into loadable pieces.

As I said earlier, I don't go to hunting conventions looking for hunts. I was fortunate to have hunted around the world before prices went crazy and I can't think of anything I really wanted to hunt and didn't.

I don't need any gear and I long ago lost interest in guns. I go to see old friends, talk about hunting in times long past, and rub shoulders with other hunters.

The thing about old age is that it doesn't last long.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"I couldn't help but be perplexed at the people, obviously in poor health, who were riding scooters at a HUNTING show. They obviously can't walk much, if at all but they want to hunt. I guess maybe SCI is the perfect place for them. There seem to be options available for everyone, regardless of physical ability or ethics, or lack thereof."

The SCI convention is more than a trade show selling hunts and gear. At age 81, COPD, congestive heart failure and pseudo-gout make standing and walking tiring and quite painful so my hunting is limited to cow elk near my cabin whenever I can draw a tag. (It doesn't matter because I took nearly every animal I ever wanted from six continents when I was younger.) I skipped the last two SCI conventions, but will be riding one of those scooters in Reno again next year so I can attend the evening functions and see old friends. I suspect many of the people you saw scooting around the hall were there for similar reasons.

BILL QUIMBY
. Bill, you're quite possibly right. I certainly don't mean them disrespect but I'm perplexed how people in poor health who dont appear able to walk 100 yards want to go on hunts.

I totally understand why they want to go on hunts. I don’t understand how they can go on hunts.

Larry:

I've been writing for years that I hunt because I must and I will hunt until I can't.

Well,"can't" came three years ago at age 79 when I was alone 10 miles from pavement in the juniper flatlands 15 miles from my cabin and my truck had a flat tire. There was no cell phone service and this was the afternoon of the last day of my cow elk hunt and all the other hunters had left the area.

The rancher hadn't brought his cattle off the mountain yet, so it could have been two weeks or more before someone came along to help me.

That's when my COPD flared up and I had to stop, try to breathe normally and rest for long periods after doing the simplest thing. What should have taken no more than 30 minutes to get rolling took more than four hours.

After I finally got the spare tire on and the last lug tightened, I briefly considered leaving my flat tire and wheel behind because I didn't think I could lift it into the pickup's bed. Loading it took my last spark of energy.

All I can say is that physical limitations have not lessened my desire (and need) to hunt. With luck, I'll draw another cow tag this fall, and I'll talk a friend into going out with me. I may not be able to walk more than 100 yards of rough ground, but I have a permit that allows me to shoot from a parked truck. I'm a good-enough shot that I'm confident I can drop an elk in her tracks, back up to her and cut her up into loadable pieces.

As I said earlier, I don't go to hunting conventions looking for hunts. I don't need any gear and I long ago lost interest in guns. I go to see old friends, talk about hunting in times long past, and rub shoulders with other hunters.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

That was a good analogy of age and now in my mid fifties the damage I did to my body is catching up fast.

I hunt with a lot of elderly people who simply want to revive the early years of hunting in Africa and for them it is simply about being where they want to be. Some can do the 100 yards on rough ground and others not but whilst they can walk they want to be on their feet and seek those younger years.

We get others to change our tires and my scouts go look for buffalo nowadays but we hunt and we keep going on for as long as we can. Such is hunting my friend.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

BILL QUIMBY

DLS and Larry:

As I said earlier, I don't go to hunting conventions looking for hunts. I was fortunate to have hunted around the world before prices went crazy and I can't think of anything I really wanted to hunt and didn't.

I don't need any gear and I long ago lost interest in guns. I go to see old friends, talk about hunting in times long past, and rub shoulders with other hunters.

Bill Quimby

Bill:

That type of thing is what scares the hell out of me.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After 3 days of this, I have to say I think the venue sucks. Awful on many levels. The food court in particular is bad. There are very few places to sit. The meals I have had were awful.

The monorail to the convention center is a disaster. It didn’t run in prime time. I heard someone say that with stops,it took 45 minutes one way.

The crowds built daily.

I have heard a variety of results ranging from best ever to very slow.

I agree with this completely. The food is awful, even the restaurants at the MGM were poor IMO, and all way overpriced. As someone said, the vendors in the North Hall got severely hosed. I didn't even know there was a North Hall until noon on Thursday, when I couldn't find my Namibian outfitter. He said traffic over there was very poor on Wed, and Thursday, a little better on Friday. Shuttling to a fro the LVCC sucks as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, in my opinion, it was a good show and food was edible as well.
I sure don’t expect five stars restaurants, maybe some of you do but truly some of you start sounding like bunch of old women
Maybe some of you need to stay home for a change and quit bitching for pete’s sake
Really?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Came back from 3 days last night. I'm old now at soon to be 71. The venue was truly big and spread out. We concentrated our time on meeting with the folks on our list and visiting specific vendors.

My BIL Carl, who will always be 4 years older than me, and I were quite worn out and had sore feet Wednesday night at dinner. Not so my SIL Beau, who at 41 seems capable of going on forever.

Yes, the food was terrible at the convention center, just as we knew it would be. Only had a sandwich on Wednesday but it was bad enough to reject trying anything the next two days.

The supposedly streamlined pre-registration kiosks worked well but you then had to stand in line to get your bag, pin and badge holder with only two people handling this job. The bags this year were a definite step down in quality from the previous 20 years and I heard many complaints from lots of attendees. No shoulder strap and an envelope design; no good!

Beau booked us rooms at the Wynn, a first for me, where he stays when in Vegas on business, and I was impressed with everything at that hotel. He had made advanced dinner reservations at the seafood and steakhouse restaurants on the property and both meals were exceptional. Advanced reservations are a necessity in these fine dining restaurants.

Met with Buzz and Miles and made our final payments for our multiple Ele hunt this April. Looking forward to a great hunt. Buzz will be my PH while Beau hunts with Alan (2012 PH). Got to see Len Taylor (2011 PH) who came over with CMS and has been working with them for the past couple years.

Then met with Club Faune and made payment for a cancellation LDE hunt in Cameroon which Beau found only days before the start of the show. It begins in 3 weeks. That is really short notice for Cameroon as the visa and gun permits have to go to Paris and then Belgium for approval, along with our passports. Since we have been through this drill before, we brought our passports and the completed forms with us and sent them off on Wednesday.

I stopped by the Heym booth and fondled the new lightweight model in 450-400. Really a nice piece but with the hunts for this year and the Bongo next year I will not be buying a new rifle until such time as I sell a couple of my 500NE doubles.

Spoke with Faro-Lubeke Safaris about our 2019 return Bongo hunt.

After 20+ years of SCI shows I am glad it is returning to Reno. SCI was one of eight shows in LV this week; in Reno we will be the only show in town again. I must say that the LV cab drivers were pleasant this year and that is a change for the better.

If you've never been, you really should try to make it to SCI in Reno next year.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was there 3 days.I felt Wed and Thursday were very quiet and Friday was busier.I stayed at the westgate.Nice mattress and I could control the room temp very good.There were line ups at the elevators around dinner time.I ate at the Wynn.Nice walk there.The show was a different experience from the Mandalay one.I spent more time about and outside at this one.I talked to a few of the vendors.The young fellow at Westley Richards got a free lesson on rifles from me.At first he thought he was talking to someone like most of his clients.He never came near me after that.I enjoyed exploring Vegas.It is a walking marathon like a proper elephant hunt.I wish I could have stayed even a day longer, especially with those temperatures but I guess being a frosty I had no choice but to head on back to the far north.I found 4 rifles interesting-the original Corbett bolt action Rigby,a Chapuis double(like the notch on the rear sight blade),a Heym double(same one there last year),a Joe Smithson/Granite Mountain bolt rifle(good looking stock).

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The show was fair.

I prefer dsc as I consider it my home show.

Las Vegas is Las Vegas an overpriced tourist trap.

I stayed at LINQ and took the monorail over. Food for the money sucked at convention center.

Walked between 15k-17k steps.

Saw some excellent rifles and scopes at blaser. After buying blasers other rifles don’t really interest me. There were great scopes and optics at Leica, swaro, zeiss, eurooptics.

exceptional taxidermy - really like the artificial elephant and rhino.

Good lunch with Eva Schokey as guest speaker that Larry Shores invited me too. I think Eva is very brave to be the public face of hunting but I personally don’t think that is a wise move with the lunatic fringe out there.

Fremont street at night is always a blast with a few zimbos.

Booked a hunt in Save with Save safaris. Bought a auction with Mokore (moz Hunt) and Acute Angling ((
(Brazil). Knive from Knives of Alaska and scope from aimpoint. Paid off my quarterly nra life member plan. Planned hunt with Tholo that got cancelled last year and a trip with silver king.

Dsc need to have a auction similar to sci.

Will I go to Reno - maybe if someone gives me a pass.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Really looking forward to Reno. Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From an operators perspective I have divided it into the good and the bad!

GOOD
1/The show was good for most operators and hunts were sold. SCI still does get a lot of serious hunters from around the world and we appreciate the opportunity through SCI to engage with past and future clients.
2…..

BAD
1/day one set up- No representative from SCI at all to be seen. Eventually we were told by some union guy that our "set up time" was 8 am the following morning. Our booth equipment was only delivered at 10 am the following day

2/The show was too spread out and badly advertised in that the online app with booth placements hardly worked. Further more the directory was not in the bags that you were given and you had to go collect them from some where else. Most people did not get one in the end!

3/Registration was a nightmare for operators and took forever. When we eventually got our "package" it was a cheap SCI bag with the only thing in it being a tiny SCI badge! When you compare this to the Dallas package it was an embarrassment! I should not compare the two shows but as an operator you certainly feel very welcome by Dallas with free breakfast, cocktails etc etc etc. There is NONE of that with SCI

4/We were never once visited by a single member of SCI to see how the show was going etc. Infact I did not see a single SCI representative at all during the 4 days of the show.

5/Everything was stupidity expensive. While I can accept the $100/day entry fee into the show SCI must appreciate that hunters numbers are dwindling and everyone has the obligation to try and turn this trend. Wives should be half price and kids under 18 should be for free! We saw hardly any young up and coming hunters at the show which is worrying.

That was a few points from an exhibitors point of view. Everyone I spoke to feel that SCI have a lot of work to do on their image! Having said that we enjoyed the show and catching up with past and future clients!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

BILL QUIMBY

DLS and Larry:

Bill Quimby

Bill:

That type of thing is what scares the hell out of me.

Larry,

I am 68, and in relatively very good health.

I have never been sick enough to go to hospital.

And I am just like you, I try to do whatever I wish today, as no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

My biggest problem is I cannot sit still.

Whenever we go on holiday with my family, it never fails, as other men of about my age keep asking my wife “ how old is he?” And “doesn’t he ever sit still?”

Walter says he gets dizzy just watching me!

I will hunt as long as I physically can.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://thehill.com/policy/ener...y-hunting-convention

High ranking Trump official attends trophy hunting convention.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had a great time. We liked the big area, had no problem with the food as it was handy and easy to access where it was sold. People on scooters no big deal the ones I was around were very responsible. It brought joy to my heart that they were there still looking at the adventures the vendors have to offer.

Have my eye on several opportunities which I wasn't aware of if we hadn't attended. Bought my wife a lifetime membership which now I have purchased five of these lifetime memberships for my kids, wife and myself.

The Taxidermy was incredible. Artwork beautiful. Jewelry incredibly sparkly. Guns were so interesting in the different concepts. The carvings intoxicating and beautiful.

The people were super nice whom I encountered from those that ran the shuttles, the vendors even though I was dancing a dance of wanting a certain date for the type of hunt I was looking for and they couldn't accommodate my requirements frustrating for them, the staff when I asked a question were very helpful and got me set in the correct direction.

My wife and I are already planning on attending next year. Reno will be more difficult to travel to on available flights and will usually be poorer weather but the show and people are what counts.

In closing some folks would bitch if you gave them gold as it is too heavy to carry or too shiny.

Keep the faith and shoot straight.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well said Bob

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://thehill.com/policy/ener...y-hunting-convention

High ranking Trump official attends trophy hunting convention.

A waste of taxpayers money. Sheehan has no power when his boss has already made up his mind and made it damn clear where he stands. The big dog has barked and the little ones might as well get back under the porch and keep quiet.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USFWS has always attended no matter who was President.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.dailymaverick.co.z...-works/#.WndamainHIV

Unbanning US trophy imports: Trump jams a spanner in the works

DON PINNOCK AFRICA 01 FEB 2018 12:14 (SOUTH AFRICA)

In a surprising move, President Donald Trump has left-footed his own Department of Interior’s attempts to overturn former president Barack Obama’s ban on the import of wildlife trophies. But leaked emails suggest the department is not backing off, writes DON PINNOCK.

US President Donald Trump has made it clear he dislikes almost everything that former president Barak Obama did. So it must have seemed a shoe-in for the new Interior Secretary, Ryan Zinke, an enthusiastic big game hunter, to overturn Obama’s ban on wildlife trophy imports from Africa.

Zinke had plenty of support. In 2017, eight hunting organisations petitioned the secretary – whose office is decked with mounted animal heads – to “take swift action to right the perceived wrongs of the previous administration”. Trump’s abrupt U-turn appears to undermine his own appointees, break standard practice and all but invite a legal challenge from his customary allies. But he has refused to back down.

In a British ITV interview with Piers Morgan early this week, Trump criticised the unnamed Fish and Wildlife Service official who decided to resume the trophy imports.

“I thought it was terrible,” Trump told Morgan, “that this was done by a very high-level government person. As soon as I heard about it, I turned it around.

“I didn’t want elephants killed and stuffed and have the tusks brought back into this [country]. People can talk all they want about preservation and all of the things that they’re saying where money goes toward. Well, money was going, in that case, to a government which was probably taking the money, okay?”

Ryan Zinke, however, doesn’t appear to be backing off. Leaked emails between Fish and Wildlife employees and the US hunting umbrella organisation Safari Club International reveal that Zinke and Interior Department Deputy Director Greg Sheehan will be attending the Safari Club convention. It’s thought to be the first time an Interior secretary has participated in a Safari Club International convention.

The leaked emails also indicate that at the convention, Zinke and Sheehan are scheduled to meet high-level delegates from Africa – probably South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania Uganda and possibly Zambia and Mozambique – this weekend.

Last year one of the petitioners to Zinke, an outfit named Conservation Force, said the secretary should walk back Obama-era restrictions on the import of lion, leopard and elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia and revise the US seizure and forfeiture practices. Hunting “is not an ideological issue to us”, said its president, John Jackson. “It’s traditional conservation practice.”

Under Obama, the Fish and Wildlife Service had said it could not make the finding that the sport-killing of Zimbabwe elephants “would enhance survival of the species”, as the law requires.

Safari Club International and the National Rifle Association filed suit to challenge the Zimbabwe ban. The groups contended that the Fish and Wildlife Service failed to support its ban with necessary findings. In November 2017 the Fish and Wildlife Service complied, announcing it would resume trophy import permits for Zimbabwe and Zambia. There was a public outcry, and Trump tweeted he would put the decision on hold so he could “review all conservation facts”.

Less than 15 minutes after the US Fish and Wildlife Service announced it would lift the ban, Trump’s “review” arrived as a Tweet: “Big-game trophy decision will be announced … but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of elephants or any other animal.”

This sent Fish and Wildlife Service officials scrambling to figure out how they might unwind a decision that was painstakingly vetted and formally published. They also had to deal with hunters who had received trophy permits.

“In my experience, it’s unprecedented for a final decision to be put on hold and reversed by the White House,” former Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe told the news service Greenwire. “We can conserve elephants without hunting them,” he added.

Writing in Huffington Post, Chris D’Angelo said the move by Trump was puzzling. “That Trump would side with the conservation community over gun rights and hunting advocacy groups is surprising. His sons Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump are avid big game hunters. In a photo that surfaced in 2012, Trump Jr can be seen holding the tail of an elephant he shot and killed in Africa.” 4

At a Safari Club International jamboree this weekend, Zinke and Sheehan will undoubtedly discuss lion and elephant trophy imports, among other such imports. SCI is arranging travel for African delegates so they can meet with Zinke. Formal invitations to meet him will evidently come from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, a clear indication of support for the hunting industry. DM

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, and foremost, a wish for a speedy recovery for your daughter. In that same vein, I have been doing the show either on the exibitor side or the consumer side since 1984. Last year and again this year, the show was strong. We had little to sell this year except plains game and a few dangerous game hunts for 2018, 90% sold out of the big stuff for 2019, and 55% likewise sold out for 2020... Wednesday was a day for mostly returning clients/friends and hunters booked for 2018. Thursday a mix of interested new clients to be and cuurent and past clients. Friday was an uneven day with lots of volume, and Saturday was largely a Wednesday do over. SCI should not open until 10AM. The scooters were a new and more frequent sighting, and also deadly quiet when traveling up and down the aisles, mamba fast. Bumped into two that were in the the right , I just turned to answer a question from someone. Lastly the venue was bigger, more spread out and less crowded, but the traffic was IMHO about the same as last year. OBSERVATION: I and many of the attendees are getting long in the tooth, if we have any left at all! Fewer and fewer of my friends and contempraries still walk among us every year. The last two years in particular, many have had to give up the chase, or they now are hunting in the afterlife. I miss them all. I miss the commradarie of the "old" SCI shows, when it was more about friendships, and shared experiences, an annual "rendezvous" of like minded individuals. Today it is about commerce, plain and simple. Today's younger hunters will never really know the "wild" Africa we older hunters have known. It is a sad thing. Joe Ely once wrote, "A fool never knows what he misses, and a wise man never misses what he knows." I am not a fool , OK maybe an old one, but I do miss those I shared the adventure with in the wild places along the trail of life...

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
USFWS has always attended no matter who was President.

And their booth looked like a ghost time. The 2 times I happened by, they had only themselves to talk to. On a brighter note, the convention seemed well attended.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Colyer, we have never met, but we share in common a beloved daughter battling cancer. Mine has been cancer-free for nearly 10 years, I pray that yours can win her fight as well.
Vicki and I attended on Wed. and Thurs. I thought the show seemed bigger than in recent years, perhaps because the venue was so spread out. Attendance looked good, with the crowd getting larger each day. Most exhibitors looked pretty busy. Yes, the food was lousy, and the sit down space limited. LVCC is a far inferior venue than the Mandalay Bay,for sure. Looking forward to the return to Reno next year. Vegas is a union-controlled town, so exhibitors always complain about having to wait on someone to "help" them set up their booth. The pre-registration system worked well, and the directories were stacked right next to the bag pickup station-no problem for those who paid attention. The bags were cheap and flimsy this year, as others have said. We finalized the dates for our hunt with CMS, got Gracy Travel to book our flights, booked an Alaskan brown bear hunt, and another African trip for 2019, and bought some bling and a new rifle scope for Vicki. But, most of all, we enjoyed the time spent with old friends. That alone makes the convention worth attending, no matter what SCI leadership might do in the future to annoy us. Bill Quimby is spot on about what is most important to us hunters.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to the use of scooters...think about it guys, your day will come too!! I didn't even make the convention with a recurring infection in my foot contracted in Hawaii around Thanksgiving!! I was doing some pre-conditioning for the grueling walking on concrete at a local gun show and later a regional Sportsman Show...infection next day!!
I couldn't get a shoe on by day three, on the antibiotics and heading for the Doc!!
I contemplated the humiliation of renting a scooter to enjoy the show and friends...but I literally could NOT get to the scooter!! This is a temporary issue...root cause be found?? Africa later this year!!
Brennan, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter and family. I only got to meet you last year the first time and sincerely enjoyed our chat...in John Sharp's booth.
Larry Shores....well maybe we can meet in Florida in April... wedding, airshow, and looking for winter get away for next few year...Hawaii is NOT on our list!! Still like to shake your hand!!
I really dislike Las Vegas...it will be a pleasure to be back in Reno...sure would be nice to be in a NICE, FRIENDLY, SUNNY place in the future!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally did not think the original post regarding the scooters was disparaging the individuals using the scooters. I know my comments were not intended to disparage those people using the scooters. If they were taken that way, I apologize.

For some reason, the walking seems to bother my feet worse at DSC than at SCI. I can't quite figure that one out. I think I averaged about 6.5 miles a day this trip. Before we got there, I climbed 100 flights of stairs each day.

Some like Vegas. Some like Reno. Neither place will make everyone happy.

We had a lot of fun both at the show and away from the show. We go mostly to see our friends. I did manage to buy a bunch of gear that would be difficult to buy elsewhere unless they were internet purchases. At least I got to discuss my requirements with someone who knew what they were doing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally did not think the original post regarding the scooters was disparaging the individuals using the scooters. I know my comments were not intended to disparage those people using the scooters. If they were taken that way, I apologize.

For some reason, the walking seems to bother my feet worse at DSC than at SCI. I can't quite figure that one out. I think I averaged about 6.5 miles a day this trip. Before we got there, I climbed 100 flights of stairs each day.

Some like Vegas. Some like Reno. Neither place will make everyone happy.

We had a lot of fun both at the show and away from the show. We go mostly to see our friends. I did manage to buy a bunch of gear that would be difficult to buy elsewhere unless they were internet purchases. At least I got to discuss my requirements with someone who knew what they were doing.

I have noticed there are some posters on AR who seem to enjoy going to DSC more than hunting itself, so it doesn't surprise me some attend and use scooters.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The show for me was a mixed bag. It's always a positive experience in that I get some face time with the operators I work with and this year I had quality time with a couple of new operators I'll be working with. For some reason Saturday was dead for me. Wednesday is always slow but Thursday and Friday were quite good. We talked to a lot of folks and this week we'll be following up with each one.

My only real complaint about the Convention Center was the floor is rough with many potholes and someone will get hurt eventually. Otherwise I found it easy to find everything but those guys in the small hall to the left as you entered the Convention Center had to miss some business. I bet some attendees never even knew those guys were there.

Interesting about the food comments. I actually thought it was the best I've had at a convention without leaving the venue for a restaurant. We had paninis, burgers, sushi and it was all good. Nice touch having Starbucks right there if you needed a jolt during the day.

Overall I thought it was a good show but I'm not really looking forward to Reno.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the floor. I said the same thing to my wife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The North Annex area I did not discover until Thursday. I got mixed reviews from outfitters on their success or lack thereof on bookings. Some did great some got no bookings. To me it seemed attendance was done. Thursday seemed the busiest day. Saturday was very light IMO.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
After years of making the show circuit, I quit about 4 years ago, mostly due to age and going into at least simi retirement, and a bunch that I refer to as the cartel, that have been booking with me for years I have come to some conclusions, mostly that SCI (Vegas and Reno) have been on a downhill spiral for a number of years, just got to big and their attitude got worse towards Vendors, Like London gun dealers so to speak

I still believe it beats sitt'en on ones duff and doing nothing and its still entertaining but those two shows have priced theirself out of business with arrogance apparently.

I still get calls and reports from both vendors and my clients..Mostly negative and that's unfortunate, they tell me the old ambiance isn't there anymore, the entrance cost is out of this world, everthing is over priced, the gun dealers etc. double the price on guns,wood and assesories, but hell they have always done that..

I liked Dallas best in the day, sold more hunts and guns at Dallas and Mexico than any place else as far as shows go..

If I were a young man in the hunting business I sure would do that 10 day show at the National Finals Rodeo, at the 3 Christmas walks, I have never seen that kind of money and participation at one place in my lifetime..I know a couple of US outfits that are making a killing there. You can buy anything on earth from a Mac Truck to about any kind of hunt, saddle, horse or gun..

I never could interest an African outfit to go there, too close to Christmas and 10 days is a lot of work, and out of their reasoning.

I would like to add to Mr. Colyer, although we have never met, that my prayers are with you and yours. A daughter is a special place with a father.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I was home " treating wounds" I received several calls reporting on Convention. This thread has covered the gamut of comments I received. Several commented they were leaving after Friday show to be home for Super Bowl gatherings with friends and associates!! Now that's priority!!
With respect to Buzz's and others comments on cost of entry, two things- SCI primary revenue $$$, crowd control.
I remember years ago, I recall last in Reno when SCI had a school kids free day, and local residence $10 day. The show was mobbed with "people" who were lookers not buyers and exhibitors complained about tire kickers and same raiding their brochure supply!!
I am still stinging over being slapped down and missing the show. One never knows how many shows or hunts are left!!
CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Found some Chevalier clothing there
Love their line

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
I felt that attendance was down this year and moving it from Mandalay to the LVCC was the main reason,IMO.Many booths were empty.Some that were always full last year like Kambako and Boyt were half or a quarter full.Luke Samaras had a bad booth this year IMO.It was hidden in a dark corner in a blind spot.I remember his booth being quite busy during the last few conventions.That did not seem the case this year.The SCI charter buses going from the convention centre to MGM were full of 70 yr olds.I believe that moving it back to Reno might kill attendance even more. Vegas attracts a younger clientele.There is a lot to do and see in Vegas before, during and after convention hours.I just missed a Diana Ross concert.She would have been at the Wynn a week later.I don't know what to do next year.It was good being in Vegas in February.I don't know if I want to go to Reno just for the convention or go to Vegas just for Vegas.I wonder if the decision to leave the Mandalay and Vegas was necessary.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
First time at the show all 4 days! stayed at Luxor and the shuttelbusses where easy and free no problems. Fantastic Taxidermy all around and met a couple of the top ones for nice talks.Weapons and gunmakers beautifull stuff i was at Boss and held a 4 bore costing just littel under 400000 us.....
Food well not top of the top but ok when you are hungery,Beer and drinks where plentifull price stiff even for a Norwegian..
Met many outfitters from past trips and i am working With Charl from Infinito to do my last 5 of the tiny 10..
Went to 2 of the dinners and the Speech from Ivan Carter is the best i ever heard regarding hunting and the future
Boddington had a good spech too
Diddent buy a lot but 4 pair Peter flack books and one book from Boddington,Some Buffalo dvds and a Nice west in zebra camo a coupple of caps
and some safari shirts. We also had the plesaure to attend the African hunting party and met many People With same interests as my self Wink Will be back Next year in Reno

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donner:
First time at the show all 4 days! stayed at Luxor and the shuttelbusses where easy and free no problems. Fantastic Taxidermy all around and met a couple of the top ones for nice talks.Weapons and gunmakers beautifull stuff i was at Boss and held a 4 bore costing just littel under 400000 us.....
Food well not top of the top but ok when you are hungery,Beer and drinks where plentifull price stiff even for a Norwegian..
Met many outfitters from past trips and i am working With Charl from Infinito to do my last 5 of the tiny 10..
Went to 2 of the dinners and the Speech from Ivan Carter is the best i ever heard regarding hunting and the future
Boddington had a good spech too
Diddent buy a lot but 4 pair Peter flack books and one book from Boddington,Some Buffalo dvds and a Nice west in zebra camo a coupple of caps
and some safari shirts. We also had the plesaure to attend the African hunting party and met many People With same interests as my self Wink Will be back Next year in Reno

Donner, I believe we had the pleasure of meeting at the president's reception (Thursday eve??)

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by donner:
Beer and drinks where plentifull price stiff even for a Norwegian..
)

wow thats bad, really bad Big Grin

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Donner, I believe we had the pleasure of meeting at the president's reception (Thursday eve??)
Yes i belive so Nice recepsjon Wink

A.Dahlgren hehe yes as you know prises on booze up here i the North are high but got surprised over the prises in LV but Guess that is turist trap prises..

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
A few observations:

First, I was only there Friday and Saturday.

We stayed at The Encore Tower Suites, which were spendy, but pleased the wife. Encore is close to the convention hall, basically a right turn onto a main road toward the LVCC. We taxied back and forth x4 in two days and the ride was always less than $10.

Splitting the show into two halls is a pain. Especially when the second hall is so far away. Every time I went to the small hall, I thought about how mad I'd be if I was an exhibitor there. I suspect many people never made it to the small side of the show.

The crowd was off. In my opinion, way off. I've been going to SCI since 1994 or 1995. Not every year, but the majority of them. I can remember shows where the aisles were shoulder to shoulder and you almost could not walk. While the layout has grown and the aisles are wider these days, I am confident that the attendance is down now and has not recovered from the economic downturn.

SCI is old. The big hitters that founded and built the club in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s are dead or dying. SCI has never been a young mans club and it has never been a club of inclusion. Without an infusion of young members, new blood, and disposable cash, I fear it will contract even more over the coming years. In fact, I'm almost 44 years old and, with some limited exceptions, I'm one of the young guys at the show.

If you've seen it once, then you've seen it. The show is big and impressive, but once you've seen it, you've seen it. A few things are new and fresh every year, but there's not much change. I'm over the need to walk every aisle. I come late and leave early. I see who I want to see, do what I need to do, and get out. For me, aside from seeing friends on the show floor, the best part of a Las Vegas show is away from the show. This year we had excellent dinners all three nights (Il Mollino, STX, and Wazuzu), late night appetizers and drinks (Hell's Kitchen & Sinatra's), went to a show every night, and hooked the ladies up with finery from Louis Vuitton and Chanel. It ends up being far more expensive than a Reno or Dallas show, but worth it to me.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Splitting the show into two halls is a pain. Especially when the second hall is so far away. Every time I went to the small hall, I thought about how mad I'd be if I was an exhibitor there. I suspect many people never made it to the small side of the show.

The crowd was off. In my opinion, way off. I've been going to SCI since 1994 or 1995. Not every year, but the majority of them. I can remember shows where the aisles were shoulder to shoulder and you almost could not walk. While the layout has grown and the aisles are wider these days, I am confident that the attendance is down now and has not recovered from the economic downturn.

SCI is old. The big hitters that founded and built the club in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s are dead or dying. SCI has never been a young mans club and it has never been a club of inclusion. Without an infusion of young members, new blood, and disposable cash, I fear it will contract even more over the coming years. In fact, I'm almost 44 years old and, with some limited exceptions, I'm one of the young guys at the show.

Will,

Well put.

We only attended on Saturday. I took my high school aged son, so we couldn't leave Texas until school was out on Friday afternoon.

I didn't even know the show was split into 2 halls until about 1PM on Saturday. We never made it over to the smaller hall.

The crowd definitely appeared to be smaller than the previous 2 years. I know the aisles were wider, but I don't remember ever seeing a crowded aisle at any point on Saturday. In years past, I remember it being crowded to the point that it was a pain in the ass to walk down some of the aisles.

I also agree on the point about the average age of the show participants. Definitely looked much older than Dallas, and very, very few children. With Dallas open through Sunday, it makes it easier to take kids...two days at the show.

Another thing, it sure seemed to me that there were an awful lot of booths dedicated to things other than hunting or fishing.

Overall I was a little disappointed in the show. I'll probably still go to Reno, but I doubt I'll take my son. With no direct flights to Reno, it is too painful for only one day at the show.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a Surprise!! KUDOS to SCI!! I cancelled my 4 Day Registration for the Convention by email due to my medical issue...a day late!! I fully expected a sweet thank you and push off....NOPE, I received two NICE messages, one said that they will miss me and hope to see you next year....and the other a regurgitation of my registration....neither said a credit would be following.

YUP, I checked my Credit Card Account online today...Full Credit last week!!

SCI receives a GOLD STAR from EDDY!!

Say, for any of you who attended, if you have an extra copy of AFRINCA OUTFITTER Magazine they were passing out FREE to encourage subscriptions, I would certainly receiving a copy, I will gladly pay for it and postage.

It is the current issue with a open Double Rifle pictured and John Sharp Campfire story headlined on the front cover.

Please PM me and I will send you my address or email s.p.foxhunt@juno.com

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year were much better for us I Honestly think it was to spread out If A guys was just walking around shopping for A hunt and did not go to see someone in particular he would had a hard time! they game and switch of my lights in my booth same display I have being using for 6 years something wrong with the lights I used and also handed me a $400 electricity bill, If it was not for the support of all clients and great referrals it would be a tough show... it is just becoming to damn expensive and we have less product to sell with all the bans and importation issues...definitely less people in our area then last year

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Here's a Surprise!! KUDOS to SCI!! I cancelled my 4 Day Registration for the Convention by email due to my medical issue...a day late!! I fully expected a sweet thank you and push off....NOPE, I received two NICE messages, one said that they will miss me and hope to see you next year....and the other a regurgitation of my registration....neither said a credit would be following.

YUP, I checked my Credit Card Account online today...Full Credit last week!!

SCI receives a GOLD STAR from EDDY!!

Say, for any of you who attended, if you have an extra copy of AFRINCA OUTFITTER Magazine they were passing out FREE to encourage subscriptions, I would certainly receiving a copy, I will gladly pay for it and postage.

It is the current issue with a open Double Rifle pictured and John Sharp Campfire story headlined on the front cover.

Please PM me and I will send you my address or email s.p.foxhunt@juno.com

Cheers,

I wouldn't be too hasty in giving them Kudos and a Gold Star - its more than likely a refund would have been far cheaper than negative publicity, of which they have more than they can handle!

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a .243 and once dithered over a beautiful second hand Sako which was quickly sold to another.

I would gladly purchase one if it was the right make as it would be very handy around camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote