Find
Notify
Tools

Bone Collector in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
Could someone explain why the guy shot off the back of the truck ? Really looks like a lazy hunter in mho.
Why would they air something like that ?
Nick somebody was the hunter.

I thought it was very poorly done.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it was a mobile African tree stand??? Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that I like the bone collector, because I think their shows are less than boring, but... whats the difference between shooting off the truck, and stepping off the truck walking 10 feet and putting up the sticks?

I really don't see a difference there...which can be the situation if you're driving around looking for game to hunt.

I'm sure this will start some sparks...so I patiently await to be attacked for my question.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Could someone explain why the guy shot off the back of the truck ? Really looks like a lazy hunter in mho.

Aaron was there. Just send him a PM and ask.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Because he could.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO it is the difference between a hunter and a shooter. Which are you?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it on purpose, but don’t pass up an opportunity…

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:

Yes, I was there! Fact is, I was not the guide, outfitter, videographer, or the show producer, so not much I could say. Nick is a friend of mine, he's a fine hunter, in very good shape, and a super nice guy. Sometimes we do things in the heat of the moment, that maybe we would regret later. What more can be said?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Safari Hunter:
Don’t do it on purpose, but don’t pass up an opportunity…

+1 tu2 But also do not create an opportunity! If honestly just driving form base to a point where you intend to start your hunt on foot - in other words not driving around searching for game - and something good presents an easy shot, it becomes difficult to rationalize why not take what Diana presented.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
I understand when Lady Luck smiles on you , take advantage of it. They certainly did not portray that as the case.
I guess chalk it up to "gotta get the footage etc "

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it but shooting from the back of a vehicle does nothing to dispel the slob hunter stereotype who just rides around in comfort all day shooting (at) animals from the back of the truck... Even non-hunters I know respect the chase present on a good hunt, but when that element is taken out, it is little more than to cynically collect a head.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most Namibians I know do not even think it is unethical if that is the way you want to do it. My sons who were 8 - 10 years old tried to stalk springbok but the grass was too tall. So we used the truck and let them shoot from the back. If we were enroute to a hunting place and seen a huge trophy... I'd shoot from the truck if I needed to. I think it is about the least satifying way to hunt but it isn't beneath me... perhaps I have no ethics!
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some people have just GOT to kill something every chance they get...

Rich
DRSS

ps: I'd still bet he is sorry that video ever saw the light of day. But not as sorry as the PH who told him to shoot... Great for business, look at all the PR he's getting here.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is about the least satifying way to hunt but it isn't beneath me

Then why do it??

Do you pick up a purse full of money an keep it because it i the least satisfying way to make money, but hell, there it was so you figured you'd take it? TO me, that's a shitty lesson to teach the kids.. "Don;t worry boys, if it gets too hard to stalk and it seems we can't get them in an ethical manner, we'll just saunter up in the lorry and pop 'em from the back."

Excuse my sarcasm but shit man, this is the friggin problem in hunting; no restraint and the NEED to kill something.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Stepping 10 feet into the woods on opening day and shooting a monster whitetail....moose.....ibex......lion.....elephant...bla bla bla might be a lot less satisfying than shooting it on the last day of a hard hunt or in general after great effort or persiverance, but how many of us would pass up such an opportunity just because it wasn't as satisfying. I'm not crazy about the idea of shooting out of a truck, but then again if it's legal and the person is happy it's really none of my business. Although I haven't seen it I do agree it sounded like a rather piss poor representation of hunting. One would think there would be a higher standing for a televised hunt.

While we're talking about if it's legal shut up and mind your own business.......I'm sitting having diner with my girlfriend and another couple about a month ago. There's two guys and two girls sitting beside us. Suddenly the guys decide it would be funny to have a burping contest. Now of course that wasn't illegal, but it sure as hell wasn't sitting well with me. I told the gentlemen in no uncertain terms they were welcome to stop or find someplace else to dine and those where their ONLY options. I suppose I could have shut up and minded my own business as they weren't "breaking the law", but perhaps sometimes it's our job to expect and enforce more than the legal minimum. I don't propose to draw the line or know how the line should be drawn. Just a thought.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stepping 10 feet into the woods on opening day and shooting a monster whitetail....moose.....ibex......lion.....elephant...bla bla bla might be a lot less satisfying than shooting it on the last day of a hard hunt or in general after great effort or persiverance, but how many of us would pass up such an opportunity just because it wasn't as satisfying.

No one would pass up the opportunity.

But, I bet some would claim they would.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Otjandaue Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
I've not seen or ever heard of this show and I don't know the circumstances of the specific video footage that you talk about but this is a topic I discuss with every one of my hunters before we commence on a hunt. There is a few factors that will determine if somebody will shoot from a truck, firstly physical condition and age, not everyone can easily jump on or off a hunting vehicle and go on foot for km's and a lot of my hunters are elderly people because the majority of young people simply cannot afford to take a African hunt. Secondly time and the area your hunting in. In my area for example there is quite a bit of bush and if you just want to drive to a certain point get of the car and only walk on foot and search for animals then you must be prepared to leave only with one or two animals in a 7 day hunt. With all the grass and trees and the footsteps of Ph and hunter most of the animals knows about you long before you have even seen them and the chance is good you'll only see a glimpse of them when they run away, also if you take my ranch for example is 25 000 acres high fenced where the animals can move where ever they want to within the 25 000 Acres I'll tell you today if you think that you can just start walking from any point and you'll see a lot of animals you'll get the surprise of a lifetime, I've had hunters who said to me this is how they want to hunt and I honour my clients wishes, not one of them have lastet for more then two days then they decided it's better to spot and stalk.The terrain plays a big role, this method would be a bit easier for example in the Khomas Hocland where you have mountains and hills and you can see for some distances or in the east and south of the country where you have less bush and more visibility. Thirdly you must decide before you start to hunt if there is a exceptional trophy standing in the road if you will take him or not, you will not have time to think about this on the back of the vehicle, if you take a 55" plus Kudu bull for example, if he's gone the chance that you will find him again will be slim.

Bottom line most people coming to hunt Africa have a list of what they really would like and some people can only afford to come once in their lifetime. In my area it's not so easy to shoot of a truck, it's not a zoo and animals don't always stand still and look at you they move between the bushes and before you know it they have dissapeared. I don't think it's a shame to shoot from a vehicle depending on the circumstances, I know of ranches where Springbok and Blesbok stand in a open field like sheep because they are used to vehicle's, that for me would be a shame to shoot a animal from a truck.

If you're happy to shoot only one or two animals on your hunt and you only want to hunt on foot then go for it but if you want at least 70% of the animals on your list then go for the spot and stalk option and if you're disabled or a older person or somebody with a medical condition it sure as hell is no shame to shoot from a truck and if you've chosen the right type of area to hunt you can expect a chalenging hunt even from a vehicle.

Roy

Posts: 70 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:

Yes, I was there! Fact is, I was not the guide, outfitter, videographer, or the show producer, so not much I could say. Nick is a friend of mine, he's a fine hunter, in very good shape, and a super nice guy. Sometimes we do things in the heat of the moment, that maybe we would regret later. What more can be said?

What is amazing is this group of idiots put this on TV.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Could someone explain why the guy shot off the back of the truck ?

Maybe they were low on gas and couldn't risk chasing it and running it over.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Saeed.
It's his hunt and his decision.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's his hunt and his decision.

Given the fact that this event was broadcast to who knows how many households means that it will, in some manner, be seen as a representation of all hunters. That's a fact. So, if he wants to make the decision and it ONLY affects him, go right ahead, keep it off TV. But, when crap like that is aired, degrading the ethics of other people who disagree with the action AND it, has the potential to be used against those who do not practice such behavior, restraint should be used.

Using 'what's legal' is not an excuse. In some cultures you can beat your wife for certain offenses; would you beat your wife if she embarrassed you if you visited that country 'just because it's legal?' Dumb excuse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
myself and a lot of others from the southern usa have used truck doors as sticks for yrs. call me an opertunist but thats the way it is Big Grin Big Grin. scared the Bjesus out of Steve a time or two jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Stepping 10 feet into the woods on opening day and shooting a monster whitetail....moose.....ibex......lion.....elephant...bla bla bla might be a lot less satisfying than shooting it on the last day of a hard hunt or in general after great effort or persiverance, but how many of us would pass up such an opportunity just because it wasn't as satisfying.

No one would pass up the opportunity.

But, I bet some would claim they would.

Saeed!

Please don't overgeneralize. Some of us do pass up chip shots. On my first day in Africa, I passed on a 43 1/2" sable because it was standing on the side of the road. On later hunts I have passed on 43+ buff bull, huge eland and a whole lot of other big animals. How I do it is much more important to me than what I put in the salt.

When I saw the show, I was relly pissed because of what the show pictured as acceptable behavior to our young hunters. The high fives after shooting a magnificent mountain zebra from the back of the vehicle was particularly disturbing. Just like the shooter did something special. This type of show represent role models to our young hunters and they need to portray hunters in as good a light as possible. We don't need to feed the anti-hunters. What a better model it would have been if the hunters had given the zebra a 30 minute head start and the tracked them up allowing the zebra time to engage their survival skills.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please don't overgeneralize. Some of us do pass up chip shots. On my first day in Africa, I passed on a 43 1/2" sable because it was standing on the side of the road. On later hunts I have passed on 43+ buff bull, huge eland and a whole lot of other big animals. How I do it is much more important to me than what I put in the salt.

When I saw the show, I was relly pissed because of what the show pictured as acceptable behavior to our young hunters. The high fives after shooting a magnificent mountain zebra from the back of the vehicle was particularly disturbing. Just like the shooter did something special. This type of show represent role models to our young hunters and they need to portray hunters in as good a light as possible. We don't need to feed the anti-hunters. What a better model it wqould have been if the hunters had given the zebra a 30 minute head start and the tracxked them up allowing the zebra time to engage their survival skills.

My sentiments exactly. If we ever shared a camp 465H&H, i think we'd get along just dandy...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling I'm going to regret opening my mouth...but here we go...

First off, all of us hunt africa for sport. I don't know anyone traveling over there to hunt for food. Now, I'm sure there are people in africa who truely hunt for food, and I assure you, they don't care if it's eating out of a Doritos bag when they shoot, spear, club or strangle (scary thought I know) the animal.

Now, how interesting it is that people want to get all high and mighty say what's ethical and fair to the animal.

YOUR BULLET IS MOVING HALF A MILE PER SECOND, SOME EVEN FASTER!

Can anyone tell me an animal with that kind of speed????? How about 4x16 power scopes??? Do we want to go there??? The animal has zero chance, whether you shoot it off a truck or a set of sticks if you can make a decent shot.

Hunting isn't fair, predators have always had the advantage....lions have teeth/claws, we have rifles, higher thinking, and trucks....

Now that being said, I hate most hunting shows, because the hosts are retarded and often shoot non trophy animals and say they are monsters.

Craig Boddington is the exception of course, is totally great in my book and I've even shared a hunting camp with him before, super guy!!!

465HH
Would you let a white-tailed deer get a 30 minute head start and track his ass down? Or course not, that the most ridiculus thing I've ever heard. How about a leopard... it's morning 1 of a 14 day hunt, you going to pass on a 190lbs bruiser you see stalking in the grass from the truck because shooting it out a of blind over bait is more ethical...gives it a chance to use it's survival skills rotflmo I DOUBT IT...

Otjandaue Hunting Safaris is completely correct, it's super easy to say, Oh well I wouldn't shoot that animal because I can come back next year and the next, how many people do you really think can afford to hunt africa 10-15 times....NOT MANY! Most people, get to a few times, if not once if they are lucky.

Do you think Roosevelt had a problem with ethical hunting??? How about chasing down lions and leopards, and tons of plainsgame species until they couldn't run anymore... and then hitting them with the double! CAUSE HE SURE DID THAT~!

Also, I don't think for one second, that most hunting tv shows represent me, my views, or my lifestyle, and if this show has kept you up at night, worrying about portraying hunting in a bad light, I would love to have your life, because you must not have anything else in the world to think about.

I'm ready to get beat up in AR fashion....so bring it boys!!!! sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We don't need to feed the anti-hunters.

It makes no difference to the anti hunters how you hunt. They will ALWAYS want to stop you.

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
quote:
We don't need to feed the anti-hunters.

It makes no difference to the anti hunters how you hunt. They will ALWAYS want to stop you.

tu2100%

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet some would claim they would.

... or exaggerate the distance.

"We got up that morning and went for a short stalk and stumbled upon a nice kudu. I quickly pulled my rifle up and settled it in the crosshairs, then squeezed the trigger. The kudu dropped in it's tracks and we went back to where we had left the truck so we could bring it to collect the old bull."

Translation: "We drove out of camp, saw a kudu, I jumped out of the truck, shot it, walked back to the truck, then drove over to the kudu."

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
465HH
Would you let a white-tailed deer get a 30 minute head start and track his ass down? Or course not, that the most ridiculus thing I've ever heard. How about a leopard... it's morning 1 of a 14 day hunt, you going to pass on a 190lbs bruiser you see stalking in the grass from the truck because shooting it out a of blind over bait is more ethical...gives it a chance to use it's survival skills I DOUBT IT...

Read my responce to Saeed. That is exactly what I meant! You may doubt it and that is your right but you don't know me and I suggest you hold your opinion of what I would or would not do until you do. I did pass on a large male leopard that we saw lying by a water hole. Shot it two days later over a bait.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me first preface this with, I'm going to hunt leopard this summer over bait, so I'm not against bait hunting for leopards.

465HH how is shooting the leopard over bait more sporting or ethical? And you are correct we don't know each other, my fault for assuming, I apologize.

You're sitting in a blind that is probably well hidden, have a solid gun rest (as you would shooting off a truck), sitting down, (probably similiar to sitting in a truck?) Not having to walk or make additional noise? (again, similar to truck) Where's the difference? Oh there's not a big piece of rotting meat he's eating on...thats different for sure, so nothing is holding him to his shady spot under the tree. I'm not trying to be an ass...just pointing out the logic here.

I'll ask again, do you give white-tailed deer a 30 minute headstart?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Like I have said several times in the past few days:

Ya know when the best time to shoot a really big______ (insert any good trophy animal here) is????

Whenever the heck you see it and be damn quick about it as you likely won't have long or another chance!

I have shot many a WT, wild hog, & esp coyote with my rifle resting on my rear-view mirror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others here, I have shot antelope in Wyoming and Montana from over the hood of a truck. Sometimes it's the only way possible. In Africa, it is never my intent to shoot from the truck. But I have a very, very nice sable on the wall. Very nice. Shot from over the hood of the truck. It was then, or never. No apologies.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have shot many a WT, wild hog, & esp coyote with my rifle resting on my rear-view mirror.

Texas, land of conservative politics and liberal game laws. Gotta love it!!! Lane if you come deer hunting with us in CO, rest assured we will not be anywhere near a truck when the gun goes off!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane if you come deer hunting with us in CO, rest assured we will not be anywhere near a truck when the gun goes off!!!

Guys...I too would much rather spot or track and stalk.

But I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth either!

Aaron, I used to feed cattle all day for my dad as a kid. If I kept them in deer and hogs...the mexican hand's wives would keep us all in TAMALIES!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's true, rednecks have invaded the dark continent. I saw the show and had the same thoughts as you guys. Goes back to the argument over whether a hunter or a shooter. I wouldn't expect too much from the treestand crowd.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Let me first preface this with, I'm going to hunt leopard this summer over bait, so I'm not against bait hunting for leopards.

465HH how is shooting the leopard over bait more sporting or ethical? And you are correct we don't know each other, my fault for assuming, I apologize.

You're sitting in a blind that is probably well hidden, have a solid gun rest (as you would shooting off a truck), sitting down, (probably similiar to sitting in a truck?) Not having to walk or make additional noise? (again, similar to truck) Where's the difference? Oh there's not a big piece of rotting meat he's eating on...thats different for sure, so nothing is holding him to his shady spot under the tree. I'm not trying to be an ass...just pointing out the logic here.

I'll ask again, do you give white-tailed deer a 30 minute headstart?

I didn't say shooting a leopard that you run into while out walking (selecting a bait site) is unethical. I simply stated that I had passed one up under the circumstances that you proposed. I wanted to shoot it over bait to have that experience. Once is enough for me and I will probably not shoot another. Appology accepted.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....I'm the treestand crowd. I grew up bow hunting whitetails from a tree stand.....

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BAB - Count me in the treestand crowd also. Have hunted whitetails from stands for over 45 years now and it's still my "favorite" hunt each and every year. If anyone here thinks there is something easy about hunting/taking a 170 plus whitetail with a bow from a treestand they know nothing about the subject, believe me.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB

First, I said nothing about the need to kill something... I lived there and never needed to kill... I had plenty of time to go hunting again. I personally try not to take shots over 250 yards and prefer under 100. The skill of stalking is what I like. The Kids had become exacerbated trying stalk after stalk but being unable to shoot. I seriously thought it could have soured them on hunting. So with the vehilce they were above the grass and they were both able to make humane killing shots. They both cherish the hunt as one of the best and funest hunts. That hunt really got them liking hunting. It also wasn't easy by any means to get close enough to a Kalahari springbock to shoot from the truck. 180 meters for the oldest boy and 125 for the youngest. A couple years ago the 8 year old who had turned 14 shot a mule deer from a stand that was much less sporting then shooting the springbok from the truck. Because the springbok knew we were there and the Mule deer did not at about 30 yards.

By the way... I did find a wallet full of money and credit cards and indeed returned it to the rightful owner. I think that was a poor comparison.

It also has always amazed me that those that push ethics so hard are usually the guys that get caught being unethical.

For me, I prefer not to use beenfield rifles with 16X and 24X scopes and shoot 400-500 yards... that seem much more unethical to me than shooting from a truck at 100-200 yards.

Face it, Ethics are not going to be the same for every person... While I prefer to have a spot and long stalk, we don't live in a perfect world. The first kudu we tracked for 2 hours before we jumped him and I shot him at 50 yards. Others were after a very short stock. The two hour stock makes a much better hunting experience and story/memory.

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
If it is legal ... then who am I to judge!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote