Tools

South Sudan?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Folks, You might want to pay attention to what Matt has passed along from Chuck. I have talked to Chuck about hunting in Sudan for several years. He has many contacts there and the place was/is dear to him. He knows what he is talking about.

There is still game. Folks actually doing the recky work right now...just ain't safe...right now...nor open as of yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
I was involved via the massive gold rush in Sudan last year (I own a metal detecting company) and was called daily to sell gold detection equipment via Dubai which I declined to sell outside the USA. Apparently, there was extreme deceit going on and killings due to prospecting and smuggling metal detectors as initially both were illegal in Sudan (instruments of war). Trust in anything was absent. I would want a well established Outfit doing business for at least a couple of years before I set foot in Sudan, even then your risking life and limb.

Now, thanks to the Catholic church, we (Nashville, TN) are getting about 700 Sudanese as immigrants. We are being asked to house them, teach them English and find them jobs. AFTER, they are settled in our security folks will "screen them" just in case a few might have vile intentions towards the US. This is a world gone mad and FYI, don't think your going to waltz into Sudan without the "EYE" on you. Caveat Emptor! LDK

Very good advice. It's obvious that secession will occur. However, the war only ended in 2005 and the almost total lack of infrastructure in the south would likely be a problem.

I flew into the area a lot during the late 80's through middle 90's. I hear now that you can get a decent room in a hotel overlooking the Nile in Juba for about 60 bucks. In the middle 90's a shaker full of salt was selling for $100 US.

They've come a long way, but they have a long way to go. And anywhere you find Somalis, you find big trouble.

A couple of years ago, a friend was working a contract on road building equipment up near the end of the old Nile bypass canal. They had two technicals mounting Soviet 12.7's for security.

There are also unmapped minefields in the area.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
And anywhere you find Somalis, you find big trouble.

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regret that I short-circuited the outbriefings after the referendum and stayed in Khartoum. I'll post if I find anything out about the South.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think there is more progress than some of you may think. A quick glance at our firm's web site can give an inkling of what I mean:

http://www.louisberger.com/Our...a/SISP-Roads-Bridges

I realize that some of you are nostalgic of the very recent "good old days", which aren't that long ago. Here's yours truly wondering what we are going to do with all the UXO next to the about to be built Road Authority building:

When you do get to Juba, don't forget to visit the really popular tomb of John Garang. No long lines, it doesn't get as many visiters as the average Taco Bell, but then there isn't a lot to do in Juba and the security is really relaxed:

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A couple of years after the above photos were taken, the Road Authority building was built and in use. But much to our disappointment, the UXO disposal area was only about two hundred yards away. Every day they "disposed" of a lot of unexploded ordnance by blowing it up. This provided for daily excitement, similar to the feeling of being targetted in an artillery barrage, I'm told by people who say they've had that experience. It resulted in several of the buildings developing cracks in the walls from the shock blast. For those interested in being at the pointy end of African development, feel free to sign up on our web site.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote