New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Your experience with 416 Taylor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot both the 375 and 416 Taylor for awhile, then decided they offered nothing over the factory versions so gave them up....I liked them and they killed well, but traveling in foriegn countries and the better balistics of the 375 H&H, 416 Rem., plus the availability of ammo made me give up the Taylors as the need passed with the advent of the 416 Rem.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good candidate for your action length is the 375/338. Basically 375 H&H performance in a neck up 338 Win Mag. Some good loads are on the 416 taylor web site unde 375/338. You can compare it with the taylor right there.

The other advantage of the 375/338 is that you can just carry your bullets and dies with you and pull a 338 Win Mag 250 grainer and stuff in a 270 gr 375 without changing the charge weight. You can always find 338 Win Mag ammo.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please post your experience with this caliber

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey... Anyone with experience in this caliber, please help me out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 416 Taylor .I hunted it in Tanzania this past year and killed a nice buffalo with it . It is a pre-64 model 70 with a 22" Douglas barrel. I worked up a load for it with Swift A-frame 400 gr. bullets and Barnes 400 gr. solids. They shoot under an inch in my rifle with the solids printing about 1" higher than the swift's. What else would you like to know? I have shot numerous wild hogs with this rifle and like it well.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi lb404

I am interested in the caliber because col. fits the action of the bolt action gun I am planning on buying for my own buff hunt. (the cartridge is short enough) 458W is also short enough.
I have never shot anything bigger than 375H&H so I have no idea as to the kick of bigger guns, neither do I have experience with its killing ability. compared to 375 H&H.
I am definetly not gunshy and like a good licking, but the kick does interfere with accuracy, no matter what someone might say so an enormous kick is not what I am looking for (If so, I would go for the 700NE.. right..?
Also 416 taylor is not standard so if my luggage/ammo is sent to Bombay and my gun and I are in Zimbabwe how easy is it to get new ammo..?
Is 416 Taylor a caliber I could shoot at longer distances with..? Shots at zebra for instance.
Is 416 Taylor much lesser than ditto Rigby and Remington? Or is it about the same.
Is 416 Taylor a rare , somewhat common or very rare caliber?