New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabies shot ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it worth getting a Rabies shot if going to RSA ,Zim etc ?,i have been there before, But the doctor i saw lately said it would be a good idea to have the shots ,wondered what anyone else view is on this ? thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...8121043/m/6461023051

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou Ledvm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Tank

We did it for our kids but not for us last year.

Need to consider the risk when getting near game.

Costs a sh_t load to get done in Aussie, but I guess a lot less then when you get bitten.

We were near help if needed just just wade up the risk.

Kids were done because they love to pat dogs and have less caution than adults.

Regards
Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
100% get the vaccine. It's much cheaper than trying to fly to a developed country where you can get the rabies shots quickly after you get bitten! The chance of you becoming symptomatic increases the longer you wait to get the shots. Do you really want to be sweating it because it took four days in stead of two to get the shots? Not me!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
Thankyou Ledvm

Welcome! Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to get it and be done with it, better a pain in the wallet and peace of mind, than the Annoying ''wish i had got it '' ,later scenario ! thankyou again for the advice
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that you will still have to get the usual shots even with the vaccine. Understand the timing issue, but please help me with this.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would need to get a repeat of the vaccine (boosting your immunity), but you would be spared the rabies immune globulin.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rabies vaccine is a three dose series give at 0, 7, and 28-35 days depending on the hospital. Cheap insurance as rabies is in the top three causes of death in a lot of third world countries...

MAJ Jarod Hanson, DVM
Veterinary Corps.
United States Army

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
My understanding is that you will still have to get the usual shots even with the vaccine. Understand the timing issue, but please help me with this.

Read the thread from the link I posted above.

J. Lane Easter, DVM