New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wire transfers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is intended for information only. My bank, USAA gave me a lot of heartburn last week on a wire transfer for a hunt. We have used USAA for several years for wire transfers to the same person without problems; this year, however, they asked for the address and the citizenship of the person. I told the Zim and they told me that as current bank policy they no longer sent wire transfers to zim citizens. Finally convinced them to send this one. Point is, I would suggest that anyone sending wire transfers to anyone in zim first find out your banks policy in order to formulate your responses to their questions.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never ceases to amaze me how archaic and provincial the banking system is in the USA. A lot of my clients cant even make wire transers from their internet banking, they have to go to the branch etc, which must be a real hassle for businesses making lots of wires.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
amen!!! Matt and the bureaucratic BS is only getting worse with the government sticking there finger into every aspect of our lives

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ah my favorite is the following:

I went into my branch something I rarely do...needed to withdraw money because I left my wallet at home.

Of course I did not have ID with me, they of course wanted ID...then I remembered my briefcase was in my car which had an old expired US Passport on it.

They didn't want to accept it because it was expired.

It took me 10 minutes to explain to the mental midget of a Bank Manager that the expiration of the Passport merely meant it was no longer valid to travel on and that is very different than whether or not it proves who I am.

Had to walk her through that if her Driver's License expires it just me she's no longer authorized to drive it doesn't suddenly mean its not her on the driver's license.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with the government sticking there finger into every aspect of our lives

So, you don't think that we should be concerned about drug money transfers or financing international terrorism?
"Title III: International Money Laundering Abatement and Financial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2001 is actually an act of Congress in its own right as well as being a title of the USA PATRIOT Act, and is intended to facilitate the prevention, detection and prosecution of international money laundering and the financing of terrorism."
This was passed by a Republican administration not bleeding heart liberals trying to get inside your pocket.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Ah my favorite is the following:

I went into my branch something I rarely do...needed to withdraw money because I left my wallet at home.

Of course I did not have ID with me, they of course wanted ID...then I remembered my briefcase was in my car which had an old expired US Passport on it.

They didn't want to accept it because it was expired.

It took me 10 minutes to explain to the mental midget of a Bank Manager that the expiration of the Passport merely meant it was no longer valid to travel on and that is very different than whether or not it proves who I am.

Had to walk her through that if her Driver's License expires it just me she's no longer authorized to drive it doesn't suddenly mean its not her on the driver's license.

Mike,

You are wrong. When the ID expires, it is no longer a valid form of ID. Try flying on an expired license. You won't get past TSA if they catch it.

Try getting into a bar if you look to younger than 21 but with an expired ID - they won't let you in.

I think you are a bit harsh calling this person a mental midget. After all, you are the guy who went to the bank to withdraw cash without an ID - there isn't a bank on the planet that would let you withdraw money without an ID.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently wire transferred money to Namibia. I use to use US Bank which is based out of Minneapolis. They wanted $60.00. I drove down the street where I keep a small account at a credit union and did the transfer for $30.00. It took a week longer to get the money there than US Bank but when you have waited 7 months for trophies, what's another week?
BTW, US Bank has upped all their fees. Very unfriendly and they are my primary bank. I think I'll start shopping for a more user-friendly company.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Another AZ,

You are wrong with respect to the point I am making. You are equating a policy decision with an objective standard for determining a fact.

A document can expire and no longer be valid for its purpose such as driving or international travel.

It doesn't mean that it is no longer a logical objective standard of my identity.

The bank has every right to choose to accept it or not accept it just the same as TSA can make any policy that it wants. But when the stated purpose for requesting a document is to "prove" my identity (as much as any document can prove anything) then they are mental midgets for not accepting a document that does "prove" my identity to the same objective standard.

Again both the bank and TSA can make any silly policy that they want but just because a date passes written on a document it doesn't stop being me on the identification.

And believe it or not, I had my id stolen while on the road and TSA did accept my expired Passport to enter the secure area of the airport.

I have about 12,000 hours in law enforcement, there are many times myself and fellow officers accepted expired driver's licenses as proof of identity. That doesn't mean people didn't get a citation for driving on an expired license and were released in the field because they could present identification. Had they not presented identification, they could have been arrested.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

A document can expire and no longer be valid for its purpose such as driving or international travel. It doesn't mean that it is no longer proof of my identity.

Mike is right. Think about any contract. The actual terms of a contract might have expired years ago, but the notarized signatures on that contract would still be legal and official representations of my signature. The notarizations don't become invalid due to the terms of the document being out of date.

tendrams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Mike,

You are wrong. When the ID expires, it is no longer a valid form of ID. Try flying on an expired license. You won't get past TSA if they catch it.

Try getting into a bar if you look to younger than 21 but with an expired ID - they won't let you in.

I think you are a bit harsh calling this person a mental midget. After all, you are the guy who went to the bank to withdraw cash without an ID - there isn't a bank on the planet that would let you withdraw money without an ID.
You dont need to show ID at all in banks in Australia, not unless they doubt your intentions... fill-out the form correctly and sign it and you get your money. Doesnt seem to be an issue. Internet transfers and wires within Australia are free and generally completed in 24 hours or less.

Sorry this is rather off-topic.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

We used to have a house in Perth, as well as a bank account. Other than enjoying a great interest rate on our deposits, the fees extracted by that bank makes BofA look like a charity. I don't recall if we had to show ID or not. You certainly need to do so in the US. I saw a guy in the bank the other day trying to withdraw money without an ID and the bank wouldn't let him. He argued, but they didn't let him.

I certainly agree that an ID can prove your identity even if it is expired, but almost everyone requires that it not be expired.

That teller makes how much a year? And you want to have him/her to risk their job because you don't have a current ID?

Mike, in this day and age I have to believe LEOs can get on their computers (those are the things they are always looking at when they should have their eyes on the road) and verify your identity by looking up a copy of the DL. Yet, if I don't have a DL, I get cited. But I know the rules, don't I?

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike D's story reminds me of one of my relatives who needed a passport for the first time. She went to the passport office in the local post office and they asked for ID. Her driver's license was expired. Can't get a passport. No problem, just need to get the driver's license renewed. Drive across town to the Dept. of Public Safety ("DPS") Very nice DPS officer: "M'am, Do you have any ID? No, I mean valid ID, like a passport?"

Well, you can see where this is going.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
AZ,

I was speaking with a) the Bank Manager (as is identified in my original post and it was actually a Credit Union) and b) she said she would have accepted a Company ID from any of the two companies for which the Credit Union was originally formed. When I asked if they had expiration date on them she said they didn't.

Not sure what you are referring to about cops and computers and I don't know what you know or don't know. However, you may not be knowledgeable of the nuances of the law.

Many states have three (3) separate laws that apply to driving and licenses and identification.

For example in CA there are 3 laws: 1 is a misdemeanor which means it is an arrestable offense, 1 is an infraction which means citation only, and 1 is also a misdemeanor but can be dismissed and converted to a detention as opposed to an arrest based on the outcome of the court hearing.

CVC 12500 - you must be a licensed driver (misdemeanor) which means you can be arrested.

CVC 12951a - you must have the license in your possession when you drive (infraction) which means you can only get a citation.

CVC 40302 (a) must provide satisfactory evidence of identity when arrested for any violation of the vehicle code. In this case the word arrest means stopped and not free to go because of a violation. Inability to produce the identification means an officer can take you into custody and before the court (which is an arrest) but if the court finds that you can satisfactorily prove who you are you can be released. The officer may or may not have chosen to issue you a citation for other offenses.

So not sure of your point but yes, an officer can check for licenses status and confirm you have a license but if the license is not in your possession that is a separate offense fro which the officer can issue you a citation.

Also an officer can stop you for a broken taillight and if you cannot satisfactorily prove you identity (that doesn't mean produce a license) you can be arrested and immediately taken to the court. If the court is not open, you get booked into jail.

Quite frankly, in vehicle computers has nothing to do with this because officers have been able to near instantly check license status for 40 plus years.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In France there is an even more ridiculous version of this. For proof of birth you request an "extract" of your birth certificate which is held by the authorities, not by you. The "extract" is valid for 6 months. Now, is there any chance in hell that my birthday will change after the "extract" expires? I still don't understand the bureaucratic reasoning behind the 6 month validity of the extract.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MATT
would they accept your sheep as ID jumping he's not baaaddddddd!!!! jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use AMEX to make all our wire transfers, this can be done online. But you have to be a legit business to use that service, and fill out a bunch of forms to get authorized. Once authorized, it's easy and quick and they give you a better FX rate than the bank (who dips twice, once by charging you a fee, and again by giving you a lousy rate on any foreign currency involved).

Clients pay us here in the USA with a domestic wire or even a personal check. We take care of all this bank crap ... and the fees come out of our commission.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Thanks for acknowledging that police officers can verify if someone has a DL even if not in their possession. The reason I mentioned the computer is that with that, LEOs can download a picture of the person who claimed to be who they are and thus verify their identity. But the point is, I must still carry my license. Why? Because it is law.

So the bank's rule (law)is that you must have an ID that isn't expired. Sure, an expired ID verifies your idenity. But with your rationale, I wouldn't have to carry my DL because you can verify if I have one or not. I am sure you have issued a ticket to a driver who didn't have his/her ID. Why? You clearly had the ability to identify whether that driver had a license or not - just like the bank employee was probably pretty sure you were who you said you were. Perhaps when you issued that ticket you thought any idiot should know they should have their DL on their person if they choose to drive. Well, the same can be said for the bank.

For you to call the bank employee an idiot for not bending their rules would be like me telling a cop he is an asshole for citing me for not having a DL when he or she can clearly determine that I am a licensed driver.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
AZ,

You are free to call cops asshole's for anything you wish. I would recommend against it though.

Rgerading Cops and Banks, Apples and Oranges the Police Officer is enforcing the law as created by the legislature. The banks policies/rules are not laws.

The majority of all traffic laws are malum prohibidum as opposed to malum in se. That means the mere act is prohibited regardless of intent. Driving without your licenese in possesion is always against the law period, jsut like speeding, and running a stop sign. Even if you are driving someone to the hospital who is dying speeding is still technically aginst the law.

Conversely, homocide is not always against the law. Killing in self defense is still homocide but it is not murder.

Your statement of "of my rationale" is incorrect because nowhere does my rationale even imply that regarding the traffic laws/driver's licenses.

The bank's rules are not laws. They are policies.

The bank's objective is to ensure I am who I am so as not give money from my account to someone else. Additionally, since the bank inherently desires to continue operations they have an inherent desire to satisfy customers.

Since, we clearly disagree and your basic objection is that I am too judgmental regarding the empowerpment and intellect of the Bank Manager...I will take it under advisement that I should be more tolerant of the people who make money off of my money. Smiler.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I consider myself fortunate. I am able to use Russell Marshall (bwanamrm) to facilitate my payments. Russell is a first class fellow and a gentleman . . . even though he is a banker.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I consider myself fortunate. I am able to use Russell Marshall (bwanamrm) to facilitate my payments. Russell is a first class fellow and a gentleman . . . even though he is a banker.

Mike

You are 100% correct. I can personally confirm from my experience with Russell and his company

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You guys are living in the stone age!

I call my bank manager on the phone, give him the details, and the transfer is done!

In some countries in Europe, I do my banking by phone or email. I have a little gismo they have given me. I enter my password into it, it gives me a cone, and I pass the coed to them either on the spot by phone or email.

That is it it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed bank service definately changes as you move up the "financial ladder." We've just moved to the UK and it appears that setting up a bank account and getting a banking card would take at least two weeks in most cases.

Fortunately my wife works closely with a "corporate account manager" things happen a lot faster with their help. Unfortunately that level of service isn't available to small businesses and individuals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I merely wanted to alert anyone who was interested, in the new policy of our bank, in order to possibly prevent anyone else from having any problems. I could not care less about the banking services or policies of any other country: I am an American. I would, however, be tempted to ask Saeed if his housekeeper has access to the same sort of service he described earlier.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would, however, be tempted to ask Saeed if his housekeeper has access to the same sort of service he described earlier.

Actually, he does.

Because he knows the manager well too rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have about 12,000 hours in law enforcement, That doesn't mean people didn't get a citation for driving on an expired license... Had they not presented identification, they could have been arrested.

No offense my friend but after making a comment like THAT, you are complaining about someone else enforcing archaic rules? I agree with you that a document showing you is still you regardless of the document's status but...

As to the wire transfers. I to have encountered this problem with U.S. banks even before 2001. I feel much of it is due to unfamiliarity. That is there are so many branches for convenience that many of them handle very few such transactions. I suggest going to the main office or the chief local branch of your bank if the headquarters is not near enough. Ask the teller if he/she has ever handled a wire and if not politely ask for the manager to process it.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
You guys are living in the stone age!

I call my bank manager on the phone, give him the details, and the transfer is done!

That is it it.

I agree, I just call my local branch manager at Chemical Bank and the job is done...

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:

So, you don't think that we should be concerned about drug money transfers or financing international terrorism?

Peter
The person making the transfer was known to the bank and is a CUSTOMER.
The person receiving the funds is known to the CUSTOMER.

If the CUSTOMER wishes to make a legitimate payment for a legitimate service, why should the fact that the recipient is Zimbabwean make a difference. International Terrorism????, Money Laundering????, Drug Trade?? I think not. The sancions against certain Zimbabweans are supposed to be TARGETED sanctions in order to avoid punishing the Innocent. Clearly legitimate business and innocent people are being affected.

Its my opinion that if the bank knows the customer/client and knows they are legitimate, then thats where their responsibility ends. The Zimbabwean at the other end of the transaction is responsible to his own authorities and laws .

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oupa,

The issue as I clarified in one of the subsequent posts above is "satisfactorily identified themselves" and you will notice the phrase "could have been arrested" which is different than "would have been arrested". The reason it is "could" is it depends on all of the circumstances and the Officer needs to consider the circumstances and apply judgment just like the Bank Manager should have.

When a LEO makes a traffic stop and the driver has no driver's license in possession but says:

My name is Fred Johnson, my DOB is 6/15/80, and I live in Los Angeles and I do have a drivers license just not with me.

When you ask them how long they have lived there and they say "oh 5 years".

When a records check shows no Fred Johnson with that DoB ever having been issued a Driver's License, and Fred can't produce a single scrap of paper with his name on it...not even a business card, a laundry receipt, his gym membership, no envelope laying on the back seat with his name on it.

When you ask Fred who you can have dispatch call to confirm his identity and he can't come up with anyone. When asked whose car it is and Fred says it is not his and the car has no registration card in it and Fred doesn't know who the registered owner is (but it is not him).

When you ask Fred where he is going to or coming from and he can't produce anyone's name or phone number for you to call to confirm where he has been or where he is expected to be.

When you combine all of that together and apply judgment, you have a very could chance that Fred is lying about his identity.

You might find it shocking but when you then inform Fred, that he will be arrested and taken to the station to be finger printed and then taken to court...the next words out of Fred's mouth are often:

My real name is John Fredrickson and this is my real DoB and I have a warrant out for my arrest.

There are several other outcomes that often occur from the above. The majority of them leading to the apprehension of a criminal.

That is not enforcing archaic laws that is good police work and applying logic.

Just like the Bank Manager should have done.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Daughter works as a teller, and I get to hear her end of problems like lack of ID all the time.

From my own experience with wire transfers here, it can be a big headache. Local small town bank, then it goes to some larger bank fo the overseas part, etc.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
US Bank which is based out of Minneapolis.

If US Bank was the last bank on earth...I'd put my money in my mattress. US Bank has to get the rudest bank on earth award Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of this surprises me. I use SunTrust a substantial bank on the south. I signed up for the wire service with them. I can wire from anywhere in the world from a computer or any touch tone phone. It takes perhaps 90 seconds. 24/7. Very simple and efficient.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Basically it is QUITE SIMPLE shop around USE TECHNOLOGY and if all that fails make sure like Saeed says / it not always what you know but whom you know ..

Now for you guys in the USA (supposidly) the most advanced country on earth, like larryshores says DO IT ALL via the INTERNET ..

You dont have to choose a bank near you choose ANY BANK in the USA just choose one that has good internet banking access and whom enables you do all your banking online including the best cost effectibe transfers.

If I can sit in my home office/bedroon here hanging at the bottom of the EARTH downunder in New Zealand and open an account in various countries worldwide (without leaving my home) then you MUST be able to do the same in continential USA.

Just ask listen and follow the advice of those in the know how

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter
The person making the transfer was known to the bank and is a CUSTOMER.
The person receiving the funds is known to the CUSTOMER.

Sorry Zim, irrelevant even if true. With (employee) turnover at banking centers and the fact that people nowadays rarely go into a banking center it does not matter. bank employees are REQUIRED to ask for ID (to protect the bank). Why can I, a customer, not send money knowingly or not to an illicit organization? Just because the recipient is know to me does not mean that cannot unwittingly be sending money to an organization that the USA believes is a front for terrorism.
In fact my bank (Bank of America) will not wire money for a non customer. How will I give them funds? Cash? Like over 10 grand? Ever heard of currency transaction reporting? Ever been asked if you are taking more than $10K out of the country or if you are bringing in more than $10K. They know who you are, you have a passport! Tried paying for a car with over $10K in cash? Ever heard of money laundering?
"OFAC administers a number of U.S. economic sanctions and embargoes that target geographic regions and governments. Comprehensive sanctions programs include Burma (Myanmar), Cuba, Iran and Sudan. Other non-comprehensive programs include the Western Balkans, Belarus, Cote d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Liberia (Former Regime of Charles Taylor), Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions, North Korea, Sierra Leone, Syria and Zimbabwe as well as other programs targeting individuals or entities that could be anywhere. Those programs currently relate to foreign narcotics traffickers, foreign terrorists, WMD proliferators."
Now, you may think that this is all a bunch of BS but some others do not. In any case, it is THE LAW.
Back to the original topic, be aware that wire transfers can take several days for the money to hit the account (depending on the country).
The money comes out of your account immediately, but doesn't "arrive" for several days!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
So what you are saying is the onus is completely on the customer to prove that they are not a criminal .

My point is simply that when banks open accounts, surely the backround checks they do on customers should be sufficient to ensure that they have enough information on record to satisfy themselves that the customer is legitimate.
Nowhere in my post did I say that a customer need not have an ID.I do believe that the customer should be able to prove their identity. However once they have done that, then the onus should be on the bank to process the customers request.

With regards to sanctions etc, I have no problem at all with targeted sanctions. I do however have a problem when the same LAWS cause major problems for legitimate business and even further problems when the application of the same LAWS are different depending on who is doing the interpretation.

I have two clients who have had major hassles making payments for hunts this coming season, despite the fact that they have made exactly the same payments through the same bank previously.
I have a 3rd client who is a fairly well known financier who has made payments through the same bank with no hassles whatsoever.

Surely LAW is LAW and should apply to everyone equally??

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely LAW is LAW and should apply to everyone equally??

I can't argue with that!
As to
"I have two clients who have had major hassles making payments for hunts this coming season, despite the fact that they have made exactly the same payments through the same bank previously"
laws change. I think that they have just recently started tightening the screws on Zim. Is this where the payments were going to?
Peter.