Find
Notify
Tools

Cash to Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted
Folks, word of advice, all cash should be declared on arrival in Zimbabwe and also on leaving the country, a maximum of $ 1000 is allowed to be taken out. To avoid any unfortunate issues, rather travel with less cash.
Talk to your outfitter and PH for more details or contact Emmie at the ZPHGA office, zphga1@gmail.com

Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
That have happend to me when leaving Zim, searched every bag and counted every dollar..displayed neatly on a table in front of everyone.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mart and Anton. Good to know.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much can you take in? Leaving in three weeks.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, thanks for the advice, but none lf thier damn business. I have only declared a fee hundred dollars each time.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,
I usually have 3-5k with me when entering.
If I declare it on the way in, can I then take say 3k back out when I leave?

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
WOW!!

I feel fortunate we hunted Africa when we did. It's getting more and more troublesome.

We hunted Zim and then followed that up with Moz on the same trip. I left Zim with much more than $1,000 as I needed tip money for Moz.

Oh well, thanks for the heads up Martin. Probably will never affect us in the future.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
As far as I am aware you declare your cash on arrival and then you can leave with it. As long as you have documentation and you don't leave with more than you came with!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1,000 might work if you are going straight home and have no hick - ups.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys on arrival fill out a zimra form47 declaring your cash on you. When leaving you will be able to freely export your declared amount. Rest assured if it's a large amount they will most probably make you produce it and count it in front of an official. You will not have any problems if you have an official Form 47 stamped/signed on arrival.

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the "47" Form.
Never heard of this before but will do in the future.

cheers

nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is this form 47 found?

Am I the only one it makes nervous to tell these guys just how much you are carrying ? I wonder how long it is going to be until someone is robbed?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Can someone post this form 47 here so we can see it and also print it, please?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Form 47

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
As far back as I can remember, we have always had to fill this out. They give you a copy-it's carbon paper-and can demand to see it on your way out or no cash can be taken out with you.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always been uneasy declaring how much cash I have when entering a country. With the many thousands of dollars needed to pay for a hunt, It would be fairly easy for officials to make a phone call to their friends. That amount of cash may tempt even those with no predisposition for robbery. That being said, I don't know what the alternative is.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, You are "Johny on the spot". Good Job and Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet another good reason to have a booking agent that escrows your trophy fees.Like many of you I have brought thousands of dollars to Zimbabwe to pay for hunts and trophy fees . I have always felt uncomfortable about it. The requirement to declare funds I believe has been in the last 3 to 4 years and is intermittently enforced. none the less if you are leaving with a large amount of cash and are caught with it and it was not declared you could loose it .If you are successful your trophy fees should use up most of your cash. My last hunt we had to take a large amount of Euros to Burkina Faso to pay for trophy fees . Had to secure it in my locked gun case.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I read that article earlier today. Very bothersome.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Zim twice. Never again.... thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have always said to clients to pay daily rates before the hunt starts and settle the balance of trophy fees etc on their return.Many of our return clients now often send it all before knowing that should they not shoot there is not an issue in getting it back. Bottom line traveling to any country world wide with lots of cash is not advisable. We have had 4 clients so far and have had no issues at customs what so ever!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Buzz is right prepay daily rate leave money in escrow with booking agent for trophy fees. Take enough money for tips and the usual expenses hotel food before and after hunt exc.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that Mugabe is clearly declining, I am wondering if the feeding frenzy is widespread and more visible now. Over the years the shakedown by these types i.e., customs, road blocks etc were more discreet.

I'm glad I went twice. Lot's of great people whom I call friends.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Martin.

It's been 13 years since my previous trip to Zim.

I can't believe how things have become more troublesome and expensive for hunters, both in Zim and RSA.

Apparently their governments don't give a damn about international sportsmen. Instead of making things easier, it just gets harder and harder.

I feel sorry for the outfitters and PHs who try and run a successful business with so much un-necessary hassles and expenses being thought up by government bureaucrats.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have never had to fill out a form 47 before. Didn't even know that it existed. My last trip to Zimbabwe was in 2014. I have hunted with HHK, John Hunt, Shaun Buffee, and Martin Nel in 6 hunts to Zimbabwe. Maybe I was just lucky. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have filled out some form . It might be this form. I am not sure. It does ask for the amount of cash that one has.

The incident like the one described above is why I like to have a Zimbabwean meet me at the airport. That incident would have scared the hell out of me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I have hunted Zim twice. Never again.... thumbdown

Everyone has their own risk tolerance I guess, I would have zero qualms about traveling to and hunting in Zim and hope to do so again. I have always found the people friendly and cooperative for the most part. I have been there during periods when there were US State Department warnings and travel advisories and never experience a hint or a whiff of a problem. Could it happen to me on the next trip over, maybe, but I could be killed in a car accident driving to the airport in Houston for my flight to Harare too. I also agree that it is far preferable to prepay as much as you can to avoid carrying cash . . . but that is true if you go to New York or Harare.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
After my unguided portered foot safari in Cameroon, where essentially no one(including the crew)spoke English, risk tolerance isn't my problem. Tolerating illegal, unwarranted bullshit is.....My wife and I greatly enjoyed the 4 days we spent in Vic FAlls last June but in light of the new welcome mat out for tourists- forget it! There is nothing I could hunt in Zim that I can't hunt elsewhere for about the same cost( or less) ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 36 years of corruption, theivery and just plain mismanagement the cupboard is bare. So they are now grasping at every straw they can for pennies. Other countries are exempting tourism from VAT, Zimbabwe does the opposite. In recent weeks, I have heard that there are even problems with using plastic here from overseas. The "new" "bond notes" (I love the silly little names they come up with for their misadventures) will be nothing more than a repitition of the Zimdollar "bearer cheques" they crashed the economy with last time. Zim worth visiting? Absolutely! Just keep your eye on whatever idiocy they're "rolling out" each week.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i suppose keeping an eye on the idiocy is a good idea when being strip searched and interrogated in a small office or jail cell

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Just left zim four days ago and didn't declare a dime.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not get asked to declare your cash coming in or going out?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
You did not get asked to declare your cash coming in or going out?

I've hunted in Zim four times, the most recent was last September with CMS. Never been asked to declare cash entering or leaving.
Having said that, we are going again in a couple of months and will now probably get hit going in and leaving.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2900 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Form 47 list "lockable knives" as strictly prohibited. Does this mean a pocket knife with a standard blade lock can't be brought in?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pffft.. Last time I left Zim with just $27.00 after tips.. Wait every time I've hunted I've hunted till broke.. Except the time I came home early from poisoning myself with Doxy..

MM

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 more clients in and out with no issues at all

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can one pay with genuine Zim Dollars? Smiler

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
This is a bad post. Should have posted all the info with the ability to declare with a 47 form. Been in and out of zim 3 times and never felt the need to let everyone know how much money I was caring.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just can't justify Zim any more. I made 7 trips there and loved every second but I'm done. I just saw Mugabe emptied the prisons (other than murderers and political prisoners) because they could not afford to feed them. That should really improve things in Zim with 19,000 bad guys and girls back on the streets.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote