Find
Notify
Tools

Vultures, vultures ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted
As some of you know, Bahati supports and funds directly research efforts done by the Hawk Conservancy Trust based in the UK. This year, we again hosted Campbell Murn from the Trust as he is doing research on specifically the white-headed vulture and is focussing on the Kruger Park is SA and in Coutada 10, as it has a good population of the birds and the area is large and unspoiled. Have a look at http://www.hawk-conservancy.or...ultureresearch.shtml.

Campbell and I set up for a bit of a photoshoot and data collection session recently at a reedbuck carcass. At some point there were 9 white-headed vultures at the carcass at the same time. This is unheard of.

There are some of the pictures I took. The strange hazy look is due to smoke from grass fires in the vicinity. It sometimes gives the pictures a very soft appreance.

This white-backed vulture is in full landing configuration. The picture is a little blurred, strangely giving it an arty look!

A white-headed male arrives at the scene. They are majestic birds of prey.

Moments later the party is on and the white-headed challenges the mob of white-backs

Strength in numbers - and they take him on.

And it develops into a full boxing match, with an audience, umpire and everything!

The "fight" came to very little other than a display of sorts and they all feasted merrily together!

I hope you enjoy the pictures! I certainly enjoyed taking them ...

Johan

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Thank you very much !!
I really enjoyed those pictures !!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
politicians at tax time

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like when I saw 'em in person......first thought is, "where's my Super Black Eagle, loaded with 3 1/2", #2s ?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to shoot a vulture? One of My favorite sights is watching the arrive at a buff carcass as you withdraw. It seems the sky is raining vultures and marabou storks.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to shoot a vulture? One of My favorite sights is watching the arrive at a buff carcass as you withdraw. It seems the sky is raining vultures and marabou storks. How cool is that?

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to shoot a vulture?? Well, it's like this. You're on a $60,000.00 lion hunt, you arrive at one of your baits with high anticipation, only to find that 200 vultures somehow discovered it, devoured it, and now you have one less bait! Trust me, wanting to shoot one or 50 becomes a bit easier to swallow.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Great pics...the articulation of feathers on the landing vulutre is unbelievable. Only a master bird taxidermist would be capable of pulling off a natural pose like this !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote