THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Overall best bullet for .30-06 on plains game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overall best bullet for .30-06 on plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
OK, just about to order my reloading gear and was wondering what brand and type/weight bullet you would recommend for the best overall use against plains game like Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok/Oryx, Impala, and Warthog?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
180gr. Swift A-Frames worked beautifully for me on three safaris, on game from duiker and klipsrpinger to black wildebeest.

My wife killed game up to zebra with the same combination.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180 gr. Nosler Partitions.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good advice. Big animals require bullets that penetrate from stem to stern if necessary. I try to find friends that can give me about a dozen bullets of various brands to find out which one my rifle shoots the best. I'm not cheap but then what do I do with the bullets my rifle doesn't like? I've given away a lot of bullets in my day and finally figured out there is a better way.

A homogeneous bullet will in my experience stand a better chance of making two holes. I like that! But a premium bullet like what's out there will do a good job. IMO, in Africa two holes are better than one. banana

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I used 180 grain Barnes TSX's in my ott6 on a 2005 safari. The smallest animal taken was a Jackal. The largest was a Cape Eland at 200 yards. The Triple Shock bullet is all I will use now in any of my rifles. Picture perfect expansion and great penetration.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In our 308's my wife and I have had excellent results with Barnes 180 MRX, Nosler 180gr Partition, and 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

In the 30-06 I like the Federal 180TBBC.

If I was handloading I would try the 180gr North Fork.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Barnes TSX. It's easy get shooting well and performs beautifully. The newest version out, the TTSX is what we used on our western deer hunt this fall. Only available in 168gr but for an '06 I think that's fine, especially if there will be any chances for longer range shooting. If I were to use a bonded core type bullet, the North Fork is the one.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frame

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Swift A-Frame

Yup! Four "bang flop" on Waterbuck, Gemsbok, Kudu, and Spring Buck using 180 grain Swift A Frames. Had to chase an Eland only because of poor shooting on my part Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use Swift A Frames or North Forks. A few years ago I would have recommended Trophy Bonded Bearcrlaws but not now.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would go on to the classifieds here and see if you can get some folks to sell you a dozen or so...

180 grn Nosler Partitions

180 grn Swift A frames

180 grn Barnes TSXs

I would then load 12 rounds of each with about 53.5 grns of H4350. Load the TSXs 50/1000 of the lands and load the others 10/1000 off the lands.

I would then shoot groups and see which one your rifle likes best.

Remember to shoot two fowling shots and also to shoot 1bullet of each at three separate targets and then work backwards to minimize the affects of fouling.

Email me you phone number and I can walk you through this if it is not clear.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS: A few years ago I would have recommended Trophy Bonded Bearcrlaws but not now.

Why?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
180 gr Nosler Partition has worked well for me for game on only 3 continents so far.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was always very happy with 180 gr. Nosler Partition in .30-06.

PH Klaus Schindler
www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I used the Federal 180 TSX in my 30-06 to take 13 animals in Mozambique and Zim this last Sept/Oct. I have always been a 180 Nosler Partition fan but this TSX bullet is definitely a winner and it shoots extremely accurate in my rifle. If you like through and through penetration this is the one for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
I used Winchester Failsafes in 180 grains in my 30/06.Used over 4 safaris with over 30 plainsgame taken and none lost or wounded.All my PH's were impressed with the performance of them.Try several brands and see what your rifle digest the best.Good Luck
Wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 220 grain Nosler Partitions for five one shot plains game kills including Greater Kudu in the Limpopo. Will probably go to 180 grains or my next safari. The .30-06 will down every basic Plains Game critter, except, possibly, the Eland, but I suspect the Eland will succumb to a well placed 180-220 grain class bullet too.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use 220gr Nosler Partitions. They shoot good in my rifle and never seem to fail. Tried about a dozen A-Frames once and they were .30 in and .30 out on Impala. Very ineffective so went back to Noslers.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would pick any premium bullet that shoots well in my rifle, but I will stick to 160-165 grain bullets.

I prefer a bit more velocity than what the 30-06 can get from 180 grain bullets.

I have shot literally 100s of plains game with various 270 caliber wildcats using 130, 140 and 150 grain bullets.

Did not see much difference in their killing ability at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo. Federal High Energy 180 gr NP about 2830 fps in 22 inch barrel.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend the 168 TSX out of the '06. I have a couple sitting here on my desk that I recovered from mountain zebra and gemsbok and they both weigh 168 grains and have absolutely perfect expansion.

And they of course shoot very well also!!

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 180 nosler should work great, @ 2850 with R22 OR Norma MRP, at the same time dont underestimate the 200 gn nosler @2700 it is very effective
with the BARNES TSX you have to weigh up if you want to take the risk of the accassional proj doing something erratic , like not expanding ...
if you really want to use the mono s use the MRX or the NOSLER e tip you will avoid the risk of having this proj do what the tsx s do accassionaly...dont expand/pencil through
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions. Always have been, always will be.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Nolser partitions (180 gr) from a 30.06 on several HUNDRED animals. It is a proven combination. I really like the Barnes TSX, and have used it with excellent results in this caliber and many others, but it is hard to argue with the partition for an all around bullet.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
the 180 nosler should work great, @ 2850 with R22 OR Norma MRP, at the same time dont underestimate the 200 gn nosler @2700 it is very effective
with the BARNES TSX you have to weigh up if you want to take the risk of the accassional proj doing something erratic , like not expanding ...
if you really want to use the mono s use the MRX or the NOSLER e tip you will avoid the risk of having this proj do what the tsx s do accassionaly...dont expand/pencil through
Daniel

The MRX is not a mono-metal bullet, it has a core and jacket. The new E-Tip from Nosler has not given me much accuracy in any of three 30cal rifles I've tried it in. In the '06 it really takes up some powder space too, given it's physical size...which is the same as a 200gr Accubond.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
180 gr nosler partition or 168 gr barnes tsx

Posts: 46 | Location: �rskog, Norway | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Nosler Partitions. Always have been, always will be.

Yep!
thumb
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
I used with big succes 180 gn Fedreal's Trophy Bonded. Took more than 20 trophies in SA in '99 with them. Not a single problem.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's plenty of good quality premium bullets out there and they'll all do the job - esp on most plains game.... as long as you get your shot placement right...... for very large PG such as eland and DG, bullet choice becomes much more important.

At the risk of being controversial, the two bullets I really dislike are the Trophy Bonded and the Rhino. I've seen more TB (soft & solid) fail, than all the rest put together and I had no end of trouble with the one batch of Rhino bullets I've ever bought.

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
I like the North Forks in 180gr for plains game such as Zebra, Kudu, Oryx, Warthog etc. They are accurate and they don't come apart on impact.

Here's Mike's website: http://www.northforkbullets.com

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
180gr. Swift A-Frames worked beautifully for me on three safaris, on game from duiker and klipsrpinger to black wildebeest.

George

But I also like Partitions, too.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHN S
my apolagies...wrong use of words, i tend to dump the MRX in with the mono s , i should have qualified it
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also strongly recommend 180gr Nosler Partitions because it has very good penetration on animals from any aspect, and at the velocities you will get in the 30-06, it will provide excellent expansion out to 300yds. The other bullets mentioned are also excellent, but the Nosler is everyone's base line.

That said, you have three good recommendations from which to see which your rifle likes best. My recipe if 180gr Partition, 57gr of 4350, Federal 210M primer, and a Lapua case. It just shoots well in most rifles. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudude,
That is exactly my load with the partitions as well. Years ago I believe in an American Rifleman article, Ed Matunas (Sp?) said something to the effect that 57 grains of IMR 4350 and a 180 Grain partition was the baseline he used when starting load development for a 30.06. Most '06's shoot this very well, and while it can be improved on from gun to gun, if a gun won't shoot this load it is likely to be a long process working up a load.
This is a paraphrase, of course, and strictly from memory, but I have found it to be very sound advice in over 20 different 30'06 bolt actions.
Good Luck,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
llamapacker
I've used that exact load (WW Brass and WLRP)
since 1982 to take everything from Dik-dik to Eland. I shot my Mt Nyala with that load. My leopard too. It crono's @ 2,725 fps and gives less than 1" three shot groups (thousands of rounds later).

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
I'd also strongly recommend 180gr Nosler Partitions because it has very good penetration on animals from any aspect, and at the velocities you will get in the 30-06, it will provide excellent expansion out to 300yds. The other bullets mentioned are also excellent, but the Nosler is everyone's base line.

That said, you have three good recommendations from which to see which your rifle likes best. My recipe if 180gr Partition, 57gr of 4350, Federal 210M primer, and a Lapua case. It just shoots well in most rifles. Kudude

What is your velocity using this load?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the 180gr partition bullet as well. It's a proven penetrator and performs well at .30-06 ranges and velocities. It's also generally fairly accurate for a hunting load, I love a max load through a 24" tube. My Dad's old Winchester could manage MOA in the 2800fps range with it's 24" barrel.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm stuck on the nosler partition or the barnes xlc

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son had excellent results with the 168 gr TSX lasty summer in RSA and here in Canada.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Buy some Swifts, TBBC, Northforks and TTSX or TSX and shoot them in your rifle.

Take the one that shoots the best........ Smiler

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote